280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Relays...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 12:57 PM

Relays...

ok, has anyone here opened up a relay (the ones under the hood) and cleaned the contacts?? I was messing with stuff today, since I still have an electrical problem somewhere, and after unplugging and replugging the relays and kinda messing with the fusible links, the car would get all the electical, but no turn over. So I went back out, re-unplugged and re-plugged in the relays and pushed on the fusible link connections and it's starting again. Just curious if anyone has done this before (cleaned)??

Thanks
Old 11-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Doesn't post much...

Nope, never done that.

I am a big fan of two things and they may sound slightly conflicting...

1. Preventive Maintnence

2. "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it"

Things that I know are normal wear items, I am always checking up on. Things like relayes that either work or they don't... I leave them alone.

Rod.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:48 PM

Here's whats funny/stupid. I just went out and checked everything and my ohm meter had an almost dead battery. Although it wouldn't zero out, it still read, although very high

Changed the battery and will do it again tomorrow....

Still having trouble with the interior lights and voltmeter/clock issues. Pissin' me off to no extent...
Old 11-06-2005, 07:56 AM

Finally got my little electrical problem fixed. Just a couple of fuses ("radio" and "room lamp"). Both 10a. I alwaysmake a mountain out of a molehill when working with electrical, and I shouldn't, because I know better. Anyways, I'm going to go by Wildman's place and see what he's up against. Sure hope you guys can put your heads together for him. It'd sure help!!

Carl
Old 11-06-2005, 04:02 PM

I've done that before carl. Made a big headache out of nothing. My blinkers weren't working and I couldn't figure out why. I checked the fuse that protects that circuit and it was fine. Well after letting it slide for several months I finally decided to really figure it out. Well I checked everything and just couldn't figure it out. Well finally I went back to the fuse box and checked ALL the fuses. The fuse I thought went to the flashers was actually not the fuse I was looking for. The right fuse was blown. I was just looking at the fuse box wrong.