280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

projector light on ebay .. i riced out :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:54 AM
Euro Z King

Location: Utrecht The Netherlands where owning a car is a CRIME!!
projector light on ebay .. i riced out :(

as im not to happy about the lights on a zx mainly due to the scoop design ( however WAY! better than a s30..) I want to go HID/XENON..
I used to have a e30 DD that had projectors witch where allot better .. however they are to small to fit a Z and cutting and gluing just takes to long considering you can buy these on ebay for 30 dollar.. ill keep you updated for the beam pattern.. very curious if the will have something close to legal..
The bulbs are prolly POS.. but can be replaced with a xenon kit .. well ill keep you posted !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0314044&rd=1,1

kind off feels like a rice buy .. but the projectors rock normally .. so only one way to find out right !!

Last edited by frank280zx; 02-04-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:43 AM
The Evil Twin

sorry but those won't work. They are not projectors. I have seen them in person. They are projector look headlights.

There is a plastic lense held over the bulb that has a simular visual look to projector headlights. They do not affect the beam pattern at all. They are like any cheap H4 housing...

The BMW projectors are real projector housings. I have seen those mounted (custom) into 7 inch rouch housings.

I bought some factory headlights from a late model car with projector headlights. I plan to some day remove those from the cluster and put them in an H4 bulb simular to the one you just bought on eBay
Old 02-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Euro Z King

wel these seem to be glass... and i have a set of e30's so i can mod... I am affrain you are right .. but he lets test it first .. XTD clutchecs look like junk but work great OBX works great aswel ! so not all junk has turned out bad for me.. Sofar i learned the OBX r200 HLSD is AA++ however it needs some detailing once recieved .. but that saves you 900 usd !!! the XTD clutch i have in my 2+2 holds up great abuse and at 159 usd is a steal, compared to my ATC clutch at a whopping 350 usd) Cheap IC couplers are a no go .. they either melt or dont hold ... so cheap is not always bad..
in this case the lens presumably is glass, so lets compare them to my extra e30 set.. ill post pics before and after patterns.

Last edited by frank280zx; 02-04-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Taste My Rainbow

Frank In Your Sig Does The M90 Stand For An "eaton M90 Supercharger"?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Über User

i doubt it cause it has t3/t4 next to it.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Euro Z King

haha well ...... i have the set up mostly worked out and have started the mounts of the SC more in the next month so yeah it stands for "eaton M90 Supercharger" the technical setup is not that hard .. however tuning it will be interesting .. next to that i think on turbo solo i might even get more power .. but it is just something i have been wanting to do .. so i will put through The SC will be mounted on the pas side and the turbo will feed into that, trough an IC into the Intake.
To do this i need to re clock my turbo, alter the oil pan.. wel etc etc ..
for more insight.http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread...=117342&page=2

ooh and it has a bottle.. but im not planning a 100 shot just a 50 .. guess my forged piston will get to use

So lets say the set up will exist .. but i dont know if it it will work, nor what power it will put out.

Last edited by frank280zx; 02-04-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Über User

so your going turbo/super charger? interesting.. i have a feeling it wont be as glorious as hoped for... and that on turbo alone it will create more power....
Old 02-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Euro Z King

Yeah i think so to, however the delta S4 has utilized is with great succes as did Nissan on their march superturbo as does Volkswagen..

It should not be a restriction at all, given a good bypass..

And no it might not give the most power ... but a great flat curve .. meaning a track autox beast ..

On the other hand it will potentially deliver more power at lower RPMS then a turbo alone should. not create more power as the amount of boost will be same in the end.. i cant run endless boost sadly.. my goal will be 15 at first 20 in the end.
And well imagine a superturbo
Old 02-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Über User

im imagine the drivetrain strain and HP loss doe to running a S/C on such a small pully for 20 psi and then exhaust restirictions on the turbo... gotta find a way for the s/c to disengage when the turbo spools for the best efficiency. thats where enlies the problem... i actualyl thought of a design to fix this... its just that i am not nearly resourcful enough to make it work. haha. it will though yes give a great flat curve...
Old 02-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Euro Z King

Actually it will work as a multiplier. Roughly input X revs is output.. and you can either use the bypass that runs on an acurator. or a Air conditioning pump pulley of some sort... but from what others have tested with the SC the bypass should work!
I dont think it will cost that much to spin a SC i have a lighted flywheel that will compensate for it aswel..and i don't run Air ...

The exhaust will not restrict as much as i have a Race proven exhaust housing, and 3" out.. next to that.. yes it will have some drawbacks .. but it is something i have set my mind on ... stupid .. but well what else do i have to do with the parts
I might set a trend here LOL

You as lane guy should get it its where i got the idea...

Last edited by frank280zx; 02-04-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Über User

i get it.. its cool. and a good idea for auto X for how that driving style works.. but for anything else i dont see it eing to beneficial.. its also an interesting idea and want to see results... and to see whats up you should dyno it... dyno it with both turbo and s/c then remove the s/c belt dyno it and then, you guessed it, disconnect IC pipe from the turbo and run just s/c to do comparrisons... corse.... might not be worth the mooney per dyno run. lol. but still would be awesome
Old 02-04-2007, 01:56 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

wasnt this thread about projector lights???
Old 02-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Yeah My Bad... But This Is Much More Interesting Than Lights, This Is About Power!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Über User

hahaa.. wow i forgot what thread i was in.... well back on topic

HID is to much for a non projection headlight it isnt focused enough, so if like bleach says they are not projector housings in them... how are you gonna get HID's to work the right way whats your plan of attack?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Euro Z King

well removing the belt is possible however the Turbo will feed the SC then goes trough the IC..
But yeah it is mainly the idea of it ... The coolnes of it ... we will see powerwhise .. all cars that have used it in teh past where huge powerhouses.. .so it should work better. but only time will tel!

I bought these as a test.. i have ahid set in oem housing .. but lets see what these will bring. so i can get around the haslle of cutting .. and offer some insight to the community..
Like said i doubt it will work.. but they claim a glass projector .. so lets see what it brings.. ill post details.
Side project because i have fun in these projects
Old 02-05-2007, 06:48 AM
The Good Twin

I'd like to see how they work out Frank. I've got an HiD projector project in the works... I won't have the normal 7" headlights... just projectors. HiD just kicks ***.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:51 AM
Big Poppa

this setup is exactly what the old jimmy diesels have on them, the super charger drove a turbo mounted right on top on the motor. it shoved air into the diesel like crazy, maybe use that idea as a bit of a platfrom. it may have been for a semi, but it worked very well.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Über User

hmmm... know what i think would look kinda cool. if someone made a Zheadlight similare to the 2002 subaru WRC headlights with the projector housing.... lets see if i find a pic... here we go

sept to fit in the stock place of our headlight... and it will be a projector for HID. i think that would look sick
Old 02-05-2007, 09:03 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ I remember seeing a 280zx pic somewhere that the guy installed some 96-99 Ford Taurus headlights.... looked ugly as sin.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Über User

well im talking about that headlight... just rounded into the exact same shape as our headlights... i think it would look sick... someone here.. photochop.... its a MUST!!!!! thxone... theramz... you guys seem to be pretty good at photochopin.. any one else...
Old 02-05-2007, 09:31 AM
The Evil Twin

ya snowy, good idea. I kind thought about that once. I think I looked at VW Beetle and Neon headlights because they are oval and have aftermarket projectors. (real ones) I was thinking of custom mounting them in the ZX headlight buckets at the same angle they would have mounted in the other car that they were meant to go in. Seems like too much work for me.
I'm just going to do a single projector inside an H4 housing. Then later go to HID bulbs if I find a cheap set or suddenly have more money to spend on my car.

I've seen the headlights in person that are on eBay. No matter what material that lense is, it is not a projector housing. The front lense has a simular shape and 'look' to projectors but has NONE of the light reflection properties. They just hung a little magnafying glass over the H4 bulb. When the lights are on the entire 7" round headlight lights up the same as the H4 conversions I have in my car. When the headlights are off they might appear to be projector beams. That is all they are meant for is that look.

These are real projector housings and HID units built into one.

Linky, linky
Old 02-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Taste My Rainbow

you mean something like this???

Old 02-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Euro Z King

luckily i have a real set of a BMW too ( with HID ) so i will perform some test ... it will just be fun! and if it works we have a cheap alternative.. if not i threw out 30 bucks...

Last edited by frank280zx; 02-05-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by skittle
you mean something like this???

yeeah, something like that. Maybe the chrome surrounds would look better and with a clear headlight cover. but yes that was the general idea
Old 02-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Über User

wow.. that Z was like a look into the future of what i want.. sept i think im gonna go with a lighter blue now... and not paint the bumper leave it chrome... erie

but yeah i agree the dark background on headlight housing doesnt agree to much. and you can tell its tilted in there to fit not much of a shape change as it is just placed there... but besides that its a good job and no im very intrigued by the idea.....very intrigued....

man i wonder how innovative i can get, to try and make something like that....

Quick Reply: projector light on ebay .. i riced out :(