280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Project Car ex Japan - at last *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 03:39 PM

Thumbs up Project Car ex Japan - at last *pics*

Only taken about six months to find a decent affordable one, fingers crossed that it eventually arrives and is actually decent. Big plans for it, engine and full suspension and colour change for starters. Anyway, its still in Japan, hope to have it in about two months time, I'm bloody excited

Old 01-12-2006, 03:41 PM
The Good Twin

nice bro. how'd ya find it?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Big Poppa

Very Nice, Id Keep It Jdm Style, Like It Is On The Outside At Least.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:53 PM

That looks awesome! I really like the wheels and the overall look of the car, I personally wouldn't change anything on the exterior. And since your having it shipped from Japan maybe you could have some of those parts from- http://www.kameariengineworks.co.jp/CONTENTS.htm shipped with it:]
Old 01-12-2006, 07:20 PM

Nice. And the best part is its a 2 seater, and those have got to be rare down there since Nissan never imported them.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:19 PM

Decent two seat solid tops are awfully hard to find in Japan at a reasonable price as are Z31's, heaps of cheap Z32's available though, all RHD of course. Bought it at auction through an agent in Japan, he inspected the car and says its OK, we'll see. The pics are those provided at auction, plus there is a written report sheet.

Its got to be modded, most everything mechanical will go but will try to preserve the classic look.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Way to go man. If I had the means I would buy a JDM S130+aftermarket parts in a heartbeat. Only downside is that they are RHD. I have had the opportunity to drive RHD vehicles and its pretty akward. I could get used to it though.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:20 AM

In the US a RHD could be good for kerb crawling, you know, perving on the sidewalk chicks, yeh?

Anyway, this ZX is going to perform, no worries.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:40 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

260DET will have no problem with the RHD configuration down under. The water in their toilet bowls spin the wrong way too...
Old 01-13-2006, 01:53 AM

wow, that sounds very ambitious. Car looks nice already. Lots of good luck to you.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Originally Posted by 260DET
In the US a RHD could be good for kerb crawling, you know, perving on the sidewalk chicks, yeh?
HAHAHA. Classic. At least around here, kerb krawling is when you go from bar to bar durring happy hour until you're crawling along the curb. You would be perved or extremely wasted.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Z8 driver

Originally Posted by lww
260DET will have no problem with the RHD configuration down under. The water in their toilet bowls spin the wrong way too...
yeh, isn't that strange...? southern and northern hemisphere differences. there's a few more.

but Nice ZX! I've seen a lot of JDM S130's and some of them have a lot of parts we would otherwise never get our hands on!

The Pantera Style back hatch..? Those were cool. I've seen a few Japanese S130's sporting them.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:43 PM

A few more pics. And 'perving', or, 'having an Uncle Merv' = viewing the women, intently EG 'I'm perving on that woman'. And a 'kerb crawl' = a 'pub crawl'. Enough, enjoy the pics.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Big Poppa

Wow, I Love Those Seats. The Engine Bay Pic Is Messin With My Mind, Only Half Of It Is Backwards.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:10 AM

triple carbs

And yeah, the brake master cylinder is on the wrong side
Old 01-15-2006, 01:26 AM

No brake or steering parts cosying up to the hot bits, right is right hehe.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:00 AM

I especially like that garden hose they got in there
Old 01-15-2006, 07:52 AM

That steering wheel is pretty sweet. If I didn't have a Bride, I'd go for something like that!!
Old 01-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Nice. What are the rules on emmisions and modification in Japan? Those tripple carbs wouldnt fly here just on visual inspection. I thought they were pretty harsh on older vehichles. Like they tax you more the more miles and older you car is. I might be wrong, most likely am. But still makes me wonder. What about down under?
Old 01-15-2006, 02:15 PM

I dont know how their emissions work but I also heard that they are quite strict (but you still see super tuners cruising around over there ). But you are right on the extra taxes to own an older higher mileage car. It also gets more expensive the more cars you own over there too. I guess there's just not enough room for all the cars the way we do here. They'd rather you dump your old car in a junk yard and just buy a new one as opposed to accumulating them. Of course there are people over here trying to do the same thing. CA would just as soon see our old Z's destroyed and have us riding bikes. I think they even tried to pass a law (it didn't) to have older cars sitting in junk yards turned to scrap instead of keeping them available for us to pick parts off of. Another attempt at getting our older cars off the road
Old 01-15-2006, 02:27 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah so true J, I remember hearing about a law they tried to pass across the whole U.S. If your'e car was 15 years or older, you would have to scrap it. And after I heard about that, I was thinking MAD MAX. It would be utter chaos, and I think the whole economy would absolutely crash. Because I know I would be one of the ones, defieng the new law. You can take my old cars, if you can pry them off my cold dead fingers. I think new cars have no personality, and are boring to look at. And to me, they look like a majority of the people here in the states.(obese) No offense to anybody. But that is how I feel about it, and it is just my opinion, Okay I am done for now. LOL
Old 01-15-2006, 02:49 PM

Oh no doubt there would be utter chaos if they ever did succeed in passing a law like that. The fact that they could even think something like that up is bad enough, let alone trying to put it into action. Just think of all the old muscle cars out there that would have to be junked. People have substantial investments in those things. Our Z's:gone. Maybe the classic import and domestic crowd would finally unite though Ya know, to fight for their cause. But on top of all the enthusiasts it would affect, you also have to think of all the business's it would affect. There are companies who make their money strictly off of selling classic car parts and others that make a majority from them. You think MSA would survive off the Z32 and Z33? I dont think so. Then theres the manufacturers. You think they would want to see their heritage just thrown in the garbage? No way. So we enthusiast may not be able to keep the ****'s at bay but combined with the power of orginazations like SEMA theres just no way they could get away with something like that. It's nice to drive around and see cars older than I am. And I think you're right, most of the cars made today just dont have any character. Sure they're a blast to drive and have all the conviences you could need, but they just dont have that "look at that" factor any more. Sure a Viper or Lamborghini is going to make you look twice but a Jetta or Accord? I dont think so.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:14 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

So true man, so friggin' true. I remember when, I had my u-joints go bad in my '81. So I took it to Pep Boys, and they spent all day, trying to get u-joints for it, with no luck. So I said, okay then just put my car back together, and will be on my way. And then they told me, they lost a couple of pins, or whatever they were. So they couldn't put my Z back together, here it is a Friday. And I have no vehicle for the weekend? I told them, I don't think so, you will give me a car to drive, while I wait for my driveshaft to come back from Mesa driveshaft. And they finally said, allright. And I got a rental car, it was a '04 Ford Taurus. Not really my cup of tea, but it beat walking. But there was times, I couldn't tell the thing was running. I couldn't hear any sound hardly, it was so quiet. And I have always been used to a car I can hear running. Anyway I had the car for 5 days, and it cost them quite a bit more than the job did. But believe me, I was so happy to have my Z back. That other car just had no fun factor with it.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

So freakin true . . .With all the rain we have been seeing here I have been driving my gf's 02 Accord. And man, when the weather finaly broke after about 2 weeks or so I got back into my car for a weekend drive with a buddy and just hearing it start up made me so happy. Just the sound of the L28 . . . And then everyone always looks. And on the rare occasion you have someone who is a fan of the Z's and will give you the nod or the quick smile and point. Awww yea.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:22 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Then theres the manufacturers. You think they would want to see their heritage just thrown in the garbage? No way.
J, Oh, if it were only true... Unfortunately, the manufacturers don't give a rats *** about their 'heritage' if it in any way inhibits their ability to sell NEW cars that they make a profit on.

The only time they care about their 'heritage' is when they can capitalize on it to sell new cars and frankly, they would prefer we not have the old cars to compare them to their new cars. They would prefer to keep them a fond but distant memory so we buy their NEW cars to re-live some of the nostalgia we feel for the old ones.

Unfortunately, most manufacturers SUPPORT and LOBBY for the various laws that call for the destruction of older vehicles. For every used car that gets crushed, that's one less for their new cars to compete with.

Do some digging and you'll find this unfortunate truth...

Quick Reply: Project Car ex Japan - at last *pics*