280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Plugging the intake ports

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 05:21 PM
The Evil Twin

Plugging the intake ports

I know I've seen some of you with those colorful or even just aluminum intake plugs.

Internal allen head or sometimes called inset socket head plugs in metric seem to be impossible to find.

Summit only has standard threads and sizes, no metric.
I've tried Home Depot, some local import performance shop, Tacoma Screw, and another bolt specialty shop. Nobody has anything close! They only have course thread.

I took the bypass valve and the little vacuum port off the turbo intake into Home Depot. Using their examples I figured out what I need.

12M 1.25 pitch
16M 1.25 pitch

Where can I order these????

and I'm sure the POV is probably even larger.... 22M ?? I'm leaving mine on for a while though so I'm not going to worry about that one.
Attached Thumbnails Plugging the intake ports-plug1.jpg   Plugging the intake ports-plug2.jpg  
Old 01-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Big Poppa

those are custom order bolts, i can get you some, it may cost 3 bucks a plug tho. some ports ive found on these intakes are std pipe thread too, like the egr. kinda weird they used both.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Taste My Rainbow

can you post some pics of where they go on the intake??? I might be inclined to get some as well.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:32 PM

Isn't a Tacoma Screw a local vodka drink, using a shot of water from the Sound?? How about a Puyallup Plunger, or a Port Orchard Pina Colada??

J/K Brother....
Old 01-08-2007, 07:39 PM
The Evil Twin

custom order from where? I'd think I should be able to order some online since I know just what I need. $-5 each is expected but I can't find them anywhere. People on this forum told me to just go to Home Depot... ha!

The 12m fits several spots on the intake. The 16M is for the turbo bypass valve. The EGR is blocked by a plate as is the AAC valve

I'll take a Vashon Island Ice Tea
Old 01-08-2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
... People on this forum told me to just go to Home Depot... ha!

That's cause that's where Autozone tells everyone to go if they don't have a part. LOL
Old 01-08-2007, 09:23 PM
The Good Twin

and I'm sure the POV is probably even larger.... 22M ?? I'm leaving mine on for a while though so I'm not going to worry about that one.
You can use the Z31 intake plug for the 280zx POV. It has the flush profile. Eventually I'll get one to replace the tall plug I'm using... but ya gotta have a 1" ratchet / breaker bar to get it out... not my normal junk yard tools.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Big Poppa

we got a custom bolt place near by, i think they make weird stuff like that, i got bolts that plug the egr tube on the header from them. dont forget this is canada, land of weird metric! ill phone today for ya
Old 01-09-2007, 08:02 AM
The Evil Twin

I think its rediculous that Summit only lists SAE sizes... especially with the high number of import performance parts they carry.

A lot of their stuff says NPT. National Pipe Thread.... would this by chance happen to be 1.25 metric? If so, a 1/2 might be 12M.

A guy down in Portland had these plugs on his turbo Z.
the pic has a line to the 12M 1.25 port.

I suppose the other 8M or 10M plugs I can find. small stuff seems to be easy. But I'm using all my small vacuum ports that I remember.... boost gauge, FPR, heater controls. So I have three lines coming off my intake.

anyway, I may be able to find a cap for the bypass valve and leave that one plugged in. (not as pretty)

for all I know maybe he just re-tapped the POV and put a big pipe plug in there with course threads. oh, and I have a Z31 I can get parts off of. I might take the POV plug
Attached Thumbnails Plugging the intake ports-plugsz.jpg  
Old 01-09-2007, 08:19 AM

i just used them from autozone. since i don't care for my intake. cause i am gona use a diff one soon. I just screwd them in till they stoped. they stick above a lil. but they don't leak. if your paraniod about it. a lil thread locker would seal everything up nicely
Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 AM
The Evil Twin

so you used the wrong thread is what you're saying... and just forced it in there.

hmmmm..... interesting.... just jam it in there

kinda like forced induction?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:24 PM

so you used the wrong thread is what you're saying... and just forced it in there.

hmmmm..... interesting.... just jam it in there

kinda like forced induction?
nope, they just don't screw all the way down into the manifold. I got some for my 260z, others have been known to take down the excess with a grinder for a smooth appearance, then bead blast the manifold for a clean appearance. Here is what fubar is talking about. This is from early 260z, the focus of restoration, till I got addicted to the turbo car...lol.

I got some plugs from autozone for the turbo car, but I have a Fastenal nearby, and will try them to see if they have something shallower in depth hex head in stainless, as I want a nicer look to the manifold on the turbo car.

They have 10 locations near you...which brings me to a question bleach, where bouts in Seattle do you live? I used to ship out of Seattle, and lived next to Gas Works Park, on an old tug boat on N. Northlake Way, in an old ship yard. Used to drink a LOT of Ballard Bitter! At a pub near the Aurora Bridge, I miss the "fablulous 4th" of July fireworks on Lake Union put on by the ice cream company???fratanellies??something like that???

http://www.fastenal.com/web/location...attle&state=WA

If Fastenal doesn't have it, they can size up the thread pitch and depth you need and order it for you.

kenny.
Attached Thumbnails Plugging the intake ports-zcar-001-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by captken; 01-09-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 AM
The Evil Twin

I went to Autozone. They don't have them.
They have them in NPT for American V8's, just like Summit. I'm tempted to think you guys that used plugs just screwed in the wrong thread. Not only are they not a metric thread but they use a more course thread.

I did find a M12 1.25 oil pan bolt that matches the thread of one of the smaller ports. (in theory) I have not test fitted it yet... we had a heavy snow last night in Seattle. Rockin' the Pulsar today. FWD!

ok, so maybe I can live without that cool inset socket head. Next up I'll go look for just a plain old hex head bolt that is M16 1.25 crap, they probably had that at Tacoma Screw...

Last edited by Bleach; 01-11-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:54 AM

i did exactly what you said. Wrong thread and all. But it went right in. Just did not go all the way down. you can always cut the rest off. Or just weld up the hole. grind down. paint and call it a day.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:08 AM
The Good Twin

Bleach, have you tried NAPA? My local NAPA has a whole wall dedicated to nuts/bolts/studs. I go to them for all my Metric needs.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:09 AM
The Evil Twin

I have not tried Napa. I will check there.

Autozone has a little package of four sizes, two ea, in chrome. Ten bucks. NPT thread but maybe that'll be fine if nothing else works.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:25 PM

that's the exact kit i used. two of each.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:37 PM
The Evil Twin

Well I'm not buying the SAE kit you have.

I went to Napa. The largest metric bolt they have is 16mm and not the right thread.

here's a pic of the oil drain bolt I got for the smaller vacuum port that has a line off of the main four.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:45 PM

Yesterday Captken found a old machine shop. said they had the perfect plugs. Maby he will respond to this. or i will ask him for contact info. He said all the plugs cost him like 6$
Old 01-18-2007, 07:29 PM

yep any old machine shop should have these...

yep, stopped at a machine shop, one that rebuilds engines/heads, cost me 2 bucks for all of them. Exact replacement. Guy there took one look, matched all these up by memory!

Allen heads look good. Steel will clear coat with high temp spray to keep them good looking. shallow length, will fit flush.
Attached Thumbnails Plugging the intake ports-zcarupgrades-011-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by captken; 01-18-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:58 PM

that better not be the 260 Intake/exhaust gasket i see.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:22 PM

just lookin' It would fit..they both have square ports...

Originally Posted by FubarI33t
that better not be the 260 Intake/exhaust gasket i see.
Ordered a new gasket from Nissan dealer today. I hope I got the right part for a turbo car, they didn't even know after giving them the vin#. They couldn't tell which one is for a P-90.

They showed 2 part numbers, I went with the most expensive, 26.87. If thats not the right part, I'll sell it to you. You want a Nissan gasket over anything else.

I bought a Fel-Pro at Autozone, but will take that back tomorrow. Cheap cardboard....

I'll ask here too, which is the right Nissan part number?

14035-N3500 or
14035-P7100?
Old 01-19-2007, 09:53 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by captken
yep, stopped at a machine shop, one that rebuilds engines/heads, cost me 2 bucks for all of them. Exact replacement. Guy there took one look, matched all these up by memory!

Allen heads look good. Steel will clear coat with high temp spray to keep them good looking. shallow length, will fit flush.
that's what I need but can't get anywhere. Can you sell me a set of those?
they are metric thread, right?
Old 01-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Über User

couldnt you just drop the money and get like a lonewolf sheet metal intak? its big, its clean and none of that vacumme crap for anything but the brake booster and distributor.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:09 PM

that's what I need but can't get anywhere. Can you sell me a set of those?
they are metric thread, right?

If I can find more, no problem. He had to scrounge around bins at different work stations at the machine shop to get what I needed. I guess thats the reason he sold them for 2 bucks. No inventory, I had to brush them shiny with my dremel tool.

I'd be willing to bet that if you look for machine shops, probably around Tacoma, only because it is more industrial, you'd find what you need. Good grief! Boeing is there.

But if these work out okay, I haven't installed them yet, and if I can get more, sure I'd be more than glad to send you what you need.

kenny.

Last edited by captken; 01-19-2007 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Plugging the intake ports