280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Pics of my Rustoleum Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:37 PM

Rustoleum reccomends acrylic enamel clear to be used over their their enamel.

I contemplated going with a rustoleum paint job when I found several gallons of gloss black and white at homedepot on clearance for 8 bucks each. However, after you add up the cost of primer and clear and body work etc, etc, it just didn't make much sense to save a few bucks by using rustoleum as the the color coat.

One of the nice things about using rustoleum is that you can buff it to a shine if it starts to get dull.

If you do decide to go with a clear, you need to wait at least 10 days for the paint to dry according to the folks at the rustoleum tech line. Because the paint is oil based and doesn't include any hardener, it takes a long time to fully cure. If you paint clear over it before it cures, then the clear will lift and/or bubble down the road.

Your job is looking good BTW.

Justin
Old 09-06-2007, 05:00 PM
MegaSquirter

Originally Posted by zeppelinboy
Rustoleum reccomends acrylic enamel clear to be used over their their enamel.

I contemplated going with a rustoleum paint job when I found several gallons of gloss black and white at homedepot on clearance for 8 bucks each. However, after you add up the cost of primer and clear and body work etc, etc, it just didn't make much sense to save a few bucks by using rustoleum as the the color coat.

One of the nice things about using rustoleum is that you can buff it to a shine if it starts to get dull.

If you do decide to go with a clear, you need to wait at least 10 days for the paint to dry according to the folks at the rustoleum tech line. Because the paint is oil based and doesn't include any hardener, it takes a long time to fully cure. If you paint clear over it before it cures, then the clear will lift and/or bubble down the road.

Your job is looking good BTW.

Justin
Thanks for the info and the compliment. I did add a hardner to the paint due to the long drying time otherwise, but I will heed your advise and wait for at least 10 days. I just love the net, someone always has the answer for you....