280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Ok I want to know WHY!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 07:28 PM

Angry Ok I want to know WHY!?!?!?

OK Im sure you all know of the location of the side 280zx badge right? just behind the front wheel? Yeah well the previous owner of my Z must have been retarded becuase this is what he did...not only did he remove the badge and then expose the 3 little holes the badge fits into, he then moved it up 3 inches up diagonally toward the rear and silicones it there, AND then he had covered up the holes from the original location with ELECTRIC TAPE!!!! WHY? why did he do this? now there is a shadow on my paint from the tape and rust around the little holes, and Im busting my butt removing the silicone he used to relocate the badge with!!!!AHHHHHHHH! Is this like a cool thing? Im dying to know why he did this. And wait till i post pics, oh god my Z has been tainted. Now my Z doesnt have a "good side".
Old 04-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Big Poppa

that is not common, nor would it even look good in that location. use 3m red sticky backed tape to re-install the emblem in the correct location. just remember to cut out the sticky from around the emblem so you cant see it
Old 04-06-2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
that is not common, nor would it even look good in that location. use 3m red sticky backed tape to re-install the emblem in the correct location. just remember to cut out the sticky from around the emblem so you cant see it
Ok then so finally i will be agreed with on this forum? yaaaaay! But i also still have the problem of the nasty dried gunk (im not sure if its silicone or damn super glue but its a dry, hard yellow blob) to deal with! I tried picking some of the excess off but then it started scathing my paint and I dont have anything to remove it with.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Big Poppa

if its yellow its most likely epoxy and it will take of your paint, so best cut it carefully with a sharp glass scraper, that used carefully will get it close to gone, but sorry to say you may need to repaint.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:18 PM
The Good Twin

I dealt w/ stuff like this all the time as a detailer @ a car shop I worked at. Get a plastic putty knife (hard rubber putty knife is better) and apply light pressure to scrape off the silicone. Get your face up close so you can see clearly what's going on. Usually silicone will peal off of a clean slick surface when the right force is applied. If there is some left over, just use a wax & grease or tar remover solvent to remove the rest (make sure it's safe for painted surfaces).