280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Ok, I have to ask...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Ok, I have to ask...

hightopfade

1989 Honda Accord spoiler under the rear end? What do you think? I see one under the Supra, too (at least I think it's a supra..). I think it looks wonky, but the rest of her looks clean.

*Celica, it is a celica in white..

Last edited by MurphyEF; 10-24-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: .
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by MurphyEF
What do you think?
I think it looks like a #StanceNation #Hightopfade #UberJDM-I-drive-an-old-school-Japanese-car-and-need-to-stand-out-from-the-normal-crewz.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Hmm I kinda like it....

So the rear spoiler is off a Honda Accord?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 AM

No, it seems to be some sort of universal JDM aftermarket, but it's similar. Both the ZX and the Celica have one on them.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
Hmm I kinda like it....

So the rear spoiler is off a Honda Accord?
I think he's talking about the thing under the car.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

i dont like it... but i do like his Hatch!!! oh and the white car... its a Supra..
Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 PM
r2l

I like the rear spoiler
Old 10-25-2012, 05:01 PM

Yes, I am talking about the one that is under the car, surrounds the exhaust and such, same on the white car(i thought it was a Supra, too. Description underneath says its a Celica..). I too dig the Pantera style hatch. If I had the cash, I'd put one on my Z.

280zx (s130) Pantera Hatch
Old 10-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Yea the upside down spoiler is lame. Not a fan of the Pantera hatches myself...
Old 10-25-2012, 09:19 PM

The spoiler seen on these two cars (as well as many others seen on hightopfade) is called a slit-spoiler. It's not an upside-down spoiler off a different model, it was manufactured strictly for this purpose and placement. It is important in rounding out a very Japanese, period-correct 80s tuning look.

I think it looks like a #StanceNation #Hightopfade #UberJDM-I-drive-an-old-school-Japanese-car-and-need-to-stand-out-from-the-normal-crewz.
The purpose of hightopfade is to document purely Japanese classic shakotan style, as seen in Japan. It has absolutely nothing to do with an "uberJDM-stand-out-from-normal-crewz" attitude. Its about people enjoying car life and showing their personality through their love of automobiles without regard for what uneducated outsiders have to say.

The white car is a Celica XX (known as "Double X"). It was not marketed as a Supra in Japanese markets.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by prkbkr
The spoiler seen on these two cars (as well as many others seen on hightopfade) is called a slit-spoiler. It's not an upside-down spoiler off a different model, it was manufactured strictly for this purpose and placement. It is important in rounding out a very Japanese, period-correct 80s tuning look.

The purpose of hightopfade is to document purely Japanese classic shakotan style, as seen in Japan. It has absolutely nothing to do with an "uberJDM-stand-out-from-normal-crewz" attitude. Its about people enjoying car life and showing their personality through their love of automobiles without regard for what uneducated outsiders have to say.

The white car is a Celica XX (known as "Double X"). It was not marketed as a Supra in Japanese markets.
Shakotan just means lowered car and the original shakotan style tried to keep the body lines as clean as possible. These cars are mixtures of many different styles both modern and classic including Shakotan (car with lowered body or "short height car"), Oni-kyan (Demon camber - also know in performance circles as Dumbass camber) and Hippari Tire (pulled or stretched tires), Kyusha (Japanese Old Classic Car), Yankii (Shakotan but more race car inspired), Garuchan (inspired from the Fuji raceway) and of course Bosozoku which is a mix up of all the above. I'd say these cars are more of mix of the above that simply shakotan.

But what would us uneducated outsiders know about Japanese cars and various stylings....

Regardless I don't like Pantera hatches or the "split-spoiler" rear diffuser that looks like and upside down Honda Accord spoiler that doesn't follow the body lines of the car. I do like a lot of the other elements of the car. And that's the beauty of car culture - there's all sorts and different people like different things and we can all do whatever we want with our own individual cars. Results will vary....

Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 AM

FricFrac, thank you for your comment.

I apologize if my response was taken as an attack on others who have commented in this thread. What I mean to say is that some people act too quickly to criticize what they don't understand without bothering to investigate, not that anyone here has done that. This board is obviously home to true Nissan enthusiasts who have deep understanding of the history of Japanese car culture. The main point I was trying to get across is that the meaning behind photographing and posting all the cars you see on this page never enters into "my style is better than that style" territory. My blog was created simply to present for observation a wide range of Japanese classic car styles; gurachan, zokusha, yansha, and others which you have mentioned above, that are all encompassed in the common thread of "shakotan".
Old 10-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Nah it's all good. The problem with us enthusiest is we get a little work up about cars because we are so passionate about them so we tend to get into little camps and it is usually "our is better/cooler", etc. Some people love stretched tires and some hate it. To each his or her own - but it is the diversity that brings fresh ideas to the table which is why although I don't like everything about all the different styles I love checking everything out and adding it to my horizon of what I like.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:33 PM

Ah just gotta foam at the mouth on this. The best i have to say is "I dragged it out of a feild" look ! The rust the dents. Just like my 79 see the bondo through the spray paint. I really dont have much to lose! 7 grand shifts sideways on the entrance ramps lil "Def Leppard billys got a gun" Scares the hell outta them pretty boys. Ok you had 15 grand to dump into your ride to make it cherry. I spent mine on the turbo and engine lets go!

In the words of the ol Highlander movie "Its better to lock it up than to let it rust away"