280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

off to the army

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:02 PM

off to the army

well guys, ive decided to go into the service. army to be exact. and im going to be getting a huge sighning bonus after i get otua boot camp. and i wanted to drop a **** load of money into my Z. firstly i wana do engine mods. i was thinking cam, whole exaust, blue printing, ballancing, port and polish. new injectors, possibly forged pistons, any suggestions on who to go with as far as parts go. then while the engine was being worked on i was going to have the whole car painted, get new rims, and tint the windows. get a nice sound system put in it. that i can decide for myself, but for the most hp/torque wat would any of you sugest. i dont want to turbo it i want to keep it N/A
Old 09-01-2005, 02:52 PM

3.1 Stroker if you want a beastly N/A L28.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:17 PM

yeah i thought about that too. there was a guy on here claiming like 330hp at the crank outa a 3.1 stroker
Old 09-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Have fun.. That would be nice to see a N/A put out 330HP.. My boy just got a 20,000$ sign on for joining.. If only I was allowed to join the service
Old 09-01-2005, 06:28 PM

Good luck in the service. My sister is in the army. other sister was in the marines. I will be off to the army as soon as i get ged classes done. should be in the army in a year or less.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:28 PM

Unfortunately Therm, unless you want to go custom you're pretty limited as to who makes the parts you put on your car. For engine work go to a reputable performance shop that actually builds race motors. Not just one that calls themselves a race shop but has never actually built a race motor. As for the head being worked take it to someone who knows the L28 or has atleast worked with it in the past. If they try a "Honda port job" you'll be hating life. Stay away from forged pistons unless you ABSOLUTELY need them. They don't do well on the street due to their shape and thermal properties. A cast piston is the best way to go unless you're putting out some really big numbers. If you're sticking with an NA and keeping the compression ratio low enough to run off of pump gas then stick with cast pistons. Basically the entire bottom end of your motor is perfectly suitable for quite a bit of power, more than an NA is going to make on the street. The secret is to put most of your attention towards ignition and fuel management. If those are spot on then the bottom end will last you for a long, long time. If you start detonating you can kiss even a forged piston goodbye though. You can get a MegaSquirt for a few hundered bucks and if you want to dump some bucks into it then Electramotive has what I think is one of the best systems out there (at a price though) The SDS system that s/c talks about is fairly inexpensive and he should be able to tell you about that one. But balancing the motor is a very good idea and definitely have it rebuilt at the least if you're going to dump all this money into it. As for companies, ask about specific parts your interested and see if anyones used them. Good luck with your project and the Army.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:32 PM

I'm sorry for the misinformation above. I just read your sig therm. Go out and get yourself an F54 block from any 81+ ZX. Just look for the P79 on the head and it's got an F54 block. This block is supperior to the one in the 79 and 80 zx's. It's the same engine as the turbo but with different pistons and the head is slightly different.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 09-01-2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:59 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Friend of mine has a 3.2L stroker putting 273hp to the wheels. Pretty close to 330hp at the crank.

This engine was built by Rebello in Walnut Creek. Dave (Rebello) sonic tested something like 8 blocks before he found one that he felt was good enough for a 3.2L build-up.

Granted, he spent more on his engine than almost everyone else on this forum combined spent on their Z's...

Of course, now he's looking to turbo charge it...
Old 09-02-2005, 02:32 AM

Got some expensive friends, eh?

Hell, I'd just boost.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:09 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Yeah, he was disappointed at the dyno numbers. Even though the car is crazy fast for what it is ('71 240z) he wants more... The only practical way to do it and still be able to drive it on the street with street gas is forced induction.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Doesn't post much...

Good luck in the service man. That's a bold and noble move these day's. I hope you can use the experience to it's maximum potential, and I hope it helps you get your Z the way you want it.

Rod.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:07 PM

yeah hey thanks guys, i was just wonderin. just stuff. i mean. i would love to roll down the road and know that i can take almost any car that passes me.. ohh !! by the way i raced a ferreri spyder the other night.. got my *** kicked but it was an honerible loss