280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

newbie needs help,ideas,but can spare the attitude...please

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:28 PM

newbie needs help,ideas,but can spare the attitude...please

first of all glad to kknow you all and all the other niceties that follow...
name is ace and 8years ago i purchased a cherry 1983 280zx from th eoriginal owner! it was runnin perhaps even better than new,,,eibach spring/kyb struts...all around
Zfun if i do say so my self!
and then one day
the mechanic that was installing my battery at the parts store(
proof laziness here is not good hooked up the battery in reverse!!! aqfter i stopped crying i realized the fuel pump never stopped pumping and pretty much filled the cyiniders with fuel....hence a blown ecu...this has since been replaced aas well as the fuel pressure reg ang the battery,plugs wires rotor cap and all other tune up stuff....as of now it is turning over but semingly getting no gas....fuel pump woil be checked tomorow....also none of my tail light,brake lights,and power windows work now! i am at a slight loss as to where to beggin......oh and the car sat(garaged and on blocks) for about 6years.....any ideas and preferably qualified experience would be helpful...
Old 08-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Über User

that sucks. lol, not to much advice i can give but check fuses the pump the relays the wires in general and maybe even the afm. but can i ask why the mechanic/shop did fix their mistake? cause thats shitty
Old 08-20-2007, 10:31 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

that sucks. you check the injectors?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:39 PM

Talking yup

we got the car turning over and checked for spark...so that problem is fixed but...it seems the fuel pump pooped out...in the morning i am sure a new fuel pump will be in the ride...and that may just solve the issue.....as for the injectors we did test them...and all was good on that front....gotta love reverse polarity eh?!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:46 PM

as for the mechanic it was a friend of a friend and i just don't flipp that way...accidents happen....such as nissan...oops datsun putting a black plastic cover over the positive cable....i thought red was hot and black was beautifuly kool roight? as i said it has been 6 years of sitting so i think his stature of limitations is up
Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Über User

accidents happen, but thats a pretty big accident. lol. if it was just a few blown fuses, w/e lol. but thats messed up stuff. well let us know how it goes?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:09 PM

Red face

yupp stuff happens to the best of us...
yeah but at least the original problem is fixed...
it was odd the fuel injectors just flooded out the cylinders with raw fuel! it was quite the shock when we pulled the plugs....understatement...
but at least now we are getting spark! which leads me ti think the fuel pump is shot.....too late to fix 2nite but an am call to the parts store is in the books...if we can get it running ... then tracing down the oddball blown taillights,turnsigs,and power windows should be a task but not an impossible one.....hopefully...
oh and thanks for the input folks
Old 08-21-2007, 12:36 AM

Wink

goood night to all
Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 PM

okay new day new thoughts....
fuel pump is shot!!! so with a replacement i am getting the running Z feeling again
after this starts the fun of figuring out how many bulbs/relays etc. got annihalated during the reversal of juice.....oh the joys of electricity
if anybody has gone through this (i hope not but...) and has ideas my earz are tuned in.....
Old 08-29-2007, 02:20 PM

Bulbs and relays don't care which way the current runs, neither do electric motors for that matter.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:34 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by zeppelinboy
Bulbs and relays don't care which way the current runs, neither do electric motors for that matter.
Um yes, it does matter... if you reverse the electrical polarity of the motor, it will reverse the direction of the motor.

Example: universal radiator fans, they can be pushers or pullers depending on which wires you use for + and -
Old 08-29-2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
you reverse the electrical polarity of the motor, it will reverse the direction of the motor.

Well of course. The polarity certainly matters if you care about the direction that the motor runs it.

However, I said that the items that I mentioned do not care in which direction they are hooked up. That is, they will not be fried if hooked up to the incorrect polarity.

The point being that few things get screwed up if you reverse the polarity on a car battery. The main things to worry about are most importantly, the alternator, and solid state devices such as the computer and radio etc (fortunately most solid state devices have reverse polarity protection).

Justin
Old 08-29-2007, 09:42 PM

WOW a reversed Battery connection leading up to ecu shot or burnd out. Sorry to hear that sucks the big one " check all lights " check everything eletrical then get back to us ! Maybe i myself can help i have had problems on these scales before .
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 PM
NisTuner

I'm finding it hard to believe the fuel pump is shot if cylinders are flooding, it sounds like fuel is getting through to the injectors, and the ECU is telling the injectors to fire. It sounds like a no spark issue to me, unless you've got some kind of huge vacuum leaks, I'd say to go through and check your ignition module.