280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

New Waterpump?Alternator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:39 AM

New Waterpump?Alternator Problem

So I was driving from the Northside of Houston to the Southwest side when not to far from my destination my belt broke and the dash lit up( I knew it was the alternator) I barely got her there with a bit of overheating.
I checked to see if anything was seized, I checked the water pump for play as well as the pulley on the alternator. After changing the belt When I crank the engine, the alternator/water-pump belt/pulleys and fan dont turn. I can turn them by hand(i know its dangerous) with or without the engine on and nothing is seized, so why aren't they spinning like they normally do/did. The water-pump is a airtex ordered off of rock auto and just replaced last week, so I'm thinking I maybe got a bad one, it seized while driving and the belt broke... idk??
I went back to sw yesterday and tried to tighten the alternators adjustments to ensure there was no slack, but nopee.
where Im at right now: I purchased a new water pump and alternator and I'm going to figure it out through process of elimination, but I was wondering if you guys had any info or help prior to me getting the parts and shooting over to the SW side to swap em out.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:40 PM
The Good Twin

So was the belt screeching like crazy? Smoking? Power steering pump spinning?

The only thing I can think of is that your crank pulley damper broke and is spinning free of it's inside.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
So was the belt screeching like crazy? Smoking? Power steering pump spinning?

The only thing I can think of is that your crank pulley damper broke and is spinning free of it's inside.
Nope, only thing I can tell you is I heard a noise on the alternator side. Only smoking was coming from the radiator from overheating.
I swapped out the alternator, and the belt still isn't spinning. So I swapped the waterpump too, but 2 of the screws for the fan clutch won't come out the old pump(I painted it red before putting it on, threadlock from the paint I guess) so ill try to pick some up tomorrow from awesome z's, attach the fan and crank her.. but something tells me its not going to work..=\

Where is the crank pulley damper? In the engine?
Old 12-27-2013, 08:09 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by JAyD_917
Where is the crank pulley damper? In the engine?
The crank pulley... at the front of the engine... all the belts receive their drive power from the crank pulley:

Red three row pulley at the right (yours is blue / rust color):

Old 12-27-2013, 08:10 PM

Gotta admit I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong.
I found out what the crank pulley was and it turns. I was just routing the belt on the water pump and alternator. The peculiar thing is though that there was no slack. The replacement belt from oreilly was just big enough for the water pump/alternator! !?? Guess I'll keep getting bigger on size till i figure it out?
Otherwise, zdriver's fail of 2013