280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

New turbo engine break-in / adjustments.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM

New turbo engine break-in / adjustments.

The 79 is comeing home wensday after my carpeting stereo and trim work is done. Did get to drive it today HOLY **** !! Anyway guys at the shop told me to drive it as Usual no special treatments. Dad flipped and gave me the proper new car break in. My z guy told me to drive it like I stole it. Now I'm changeing the oil at 400 miles to get the pre lube and shaveings dust ect out. How ever I must bring the car back in @ 1500 miles for them to fine tune the turbo / timeing/ and computer useing the dyno. Um that's going to take me some time the car is now trailor queen and why do I have to wait for them to dial my turbo in. What are they talking about ?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM
The Good Twin

There are about 5.2billion websites that talk about proper engine break in procedures, so I'm not going to spend much time on this as you can google it.

In a nut shell, the first few minutes of running a new / rebuilt motor are the most important as the rings seat. Crank the motor with no plugs till it has oil pressure (5-10 seconds). Install plugs, start and let idle for a minute, then while still parked, step the rpms up to 2k, 3k, 4k, 5k and hold at each level for 10-20 seconds. After that, easy GRANDMA driving for 500 miles, change the oil, easy driving for another 500, then normal driving. At about 2k, change the oil again and you're ready to lead foot. I daily drove my Z to work for a month... fast way to get the break in miles done.

As for the "turbo dialing", I imagine they installed a boost controller and set it to stock boost levels, so you don't go overboosting a new motor.

Last edited by NismoPick; 04-30-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Everyone with a turbo motor should have a turbo fuse

Product Info
Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM

Yea yea guys. Figure id ask since since you turbo guys in your fancy pants would know better than I. Now another dumb question in 1986 mommy had a subaru gl -10 "turbo" wagon now every day shed let the car idle for 5 mins to cool down the turbo. Do belive this was in the subaru manual. Since this is from the same era is this recomended?? Guys at the shop pissed them selves laughing. I'm clueless with turbos and this is my first. What would you guys recomend as max psi. . . So if these guys go for big numbers I will know what stranger danger limits are
Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 PM

Yea nismo thought of daily driveing it. That is until I heard rocks bounceing up from under the brand new undercoat I'm not nameing prices but you will all yell at me She stays indoors except once a month for cruise night.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by Lesnocker
Yea yea guys. Figure id ask since since you turbo guys in your fancy pants would know better than I. Now another dumb question in 1986 mommy had a subaru gl -10 "turbo" wagon now every day shed let the car idle for 5 mins to cool down the turbo. Do belive this was in the subaru manual. Since this is from the same era is this recomended?? Guys at the shop pissed them selves laughing. I'm clueless with turbos and this is my first. What would you guys recomend as max psi. . . So if these guys go for big numbers I will know what stranger danger limits are
The guys at the shop are idiots then. This is a very common procedure. When you run heavy boost the turbo gets extremely hot. If you don't let it cool down a bit under idle the oil will sit in the turbo and coke up in the bearings, shaft, etc. A lot of owners manuals will recomend a cool down period or even have oil and/or coolant run through the turbo to prevent coking. A common after market mod is a turbo timer which you can program to have your car idle for a set period of time. Some will monitor your boost levels and adjust the idle down time accordingly. Get a new mechanic.....
Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by FricFrac
Get a new mechanic.....
Sounds oddly familiar...

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Sounds like your machine shop is raping you.
Originally Posted by NismoPick
Are these the same guys who are charging you two arms and three legs for the motor rebuild?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:27 AM

Thanks that's pretty important. Owner does great work the son got a mouth he runs a tint / stereo shop off of daddys shop. Kinda kid you see to buy crack Ill just do 5 min like mom did. Funny how you have to hold the handle to lock the doors just like the old subaru.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

..also an important reason to run synthetic oil in a turbo car as it's more resistant to coking...