280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Need Help On Dash Removal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 06:37 PM

Need Help On Dash Removal!!!

I have searched for instructions on dash removal and didnt find much. I have spent so much time reading so many posts that by now i could have removed it.
I need to remove dash and complete speedometer wiring harness with out cutting it.
Does anyone know where a sticky or a link to instructions on how to do this is located? I have everything out of the way but havent removed the speedo gauge. Does steering column need to be dropped? This is coming out of a parts car and wont be going back in, so all i am concerned with not messing up is the speedo and wiring harness for speedo. I know where the 4 screws are at the top back of dash. How many are under the dash and located where, etc? Thanks

Last edited by 3XAZOWNER; 09-15-2006 at 06:56 PM. Reason: ??? should be !!!
Old 09-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Taste My Rainbow

OK THERE ARE 4 ON TOP 6 OR SO ON THE BOTTOM. ON THE PASSANGERS SIDE UNDO THE 4 OR SO WIRE CONECTORS. I'D PULL THE STEERING WHEEL AND TAKE OFF THE WIPER SWITCH AND LIGHT SWITCH. SLOWLY PULL OUT THE DASH AND MAKE SURE YOU UNSCREW THE A/C CONTROL UNIT FROM THE DASH FRAME. WHEN ITS PARTIALLY OUT UNSCREW THE SPEEDO CABLE. IF YOU ARE DOING THIS JUST TO CHANGE OUT THE CABLE THEN LEAVE THE DASH LIKE IT IS. ITS A PAIN BUT ITS EASY AS YOU GET USED TO IT.

i JUST PULLED MINE LAST MONDAY TO DO SOME WIRING (ATTMPT IS MORE LIKE IT). i HAD IT OUT IN 45 MINS AND BACK IN IN ABOUT AN HOUR. ANY QUESTIONS JUST ASK.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:19 PM

No, I am swapping out the analog speedo and wiring harness out of my parts car with someone for their digital one for my car. My digital speedo is screwed.
While i am at it, what all is involved in putting the manual a/c control unit into my auto temp control unit Z. Does anything (partial wiring harness, etc) except the manual a/c control unit itself have to be swapped into my Z?
Old 09-15-2006, 07:40 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by 3XAZOWNER
No, I am swapping out the analog speedo and wiring harness out of my parts car with someone for their digital one for my car. My digital speedo is screwed.
While i am at it, what all is involved in putting the manual a/c control unit into my auto temp control unit Z. Does anything (partial wiring harness, etc) except the manual a/c control unit itself have to be swapped into my Z?
Remember to get the analog coolant temp sensor from your parts car, or the temp gauge will read incorrectly.

Auto Climate to Manual control swap is easy... everything plugs right in.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:55 PM
No Club Love

Thats me the one with the digi, i'd disconnect the speedo cable first, then just drop the steering column, thats the easiest way. theres only 4 bolts for the bottom of the dash, two on the far sides, two in the middle, two under those leg panels, and two under the center console(were the radio is).Heres the link i used for a/c and dash removal. http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...sion/part1.pdf
it covers the swap from auto to manuel climate control. as well as disassembly of the dash
Old 09-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Nice Job Wrecked. I'm Still On The Look Out For Some Manuals
Old 09-15-2006, 09:20 PM
No Club Love

Manuel what, i had auto cc, it didn't work, so i chucked it all, (out the car, not in the trash) today in the rain my window wouldn't defrost so, i just rolled down the windows and stuck my head out, im glad i had glasses, i'm still looking for manuel... windows that is.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Thats What I Ment... Lol Manual Windows
Old 09-15-2006, 10:02 PM
No Club Love

OH i thought you were only in it for your self.JK nope still can't find any parts were im at. Must have to go to a salt lake junk yard. (Shudder)... rust. Anyways i might of found a car for J but that damn dog is visious.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:27 PM

Dash Removal Instructions

This is a copy of removal instructions that Shady28 had previously posted. I have removed several dashes and although it looks scary if you take your time it's doable. I would recommend disconnecting the neg battery connection. Whenever I find someone leaving special instructions I save them and have a book of printed instructions. I suggest that you start one too.

280ZX Dashboard Removal Instructions

It Takes About An Hour To Take Out The Dash. First Remove All Lower Panels Inc. Radio. Disconnect The Speedo Cable, It Is 2 Piece And Is Easily Seen When Foot Heat Panel Is removed.then Disconnect All Wiring Plugs Along Right Side Of The Dash. There All Color Coded So No Labeling Is Req. Remove Heater Bezel And Disconnect Heater Controls From Cross member, Do Not Remove Completely. Then Pop Off The 4 Covers At The Top Of The Dash In Use A Ratchet With Long Extensions And Ph. Bit To Remove. Remove Steering Wheel And Drop Steering Column Down Using 2 Bolts At Top Of Shaft. You Will See 4 10mm Head Screws Along The Bottom. Remove Those. Dash Will Be Loose. Get Friend Remove Dash Carefully Without Breaking Corners Off. Done. Install Is Reverse Of Removal. (from: Shady280)

Hey, when removing / installing the heater core, isn't it necessary to drain and move the Freon canister in the firewall? I know that is what kept me from servicing the leaking heater core AFTER I removed the dash 2 hours earlier. My repair book told me I had to drain the r12 & then pull out the core. Is there an easier way; I still have no heat or defrosters. (from: SoCal280zx)

No You Don’t Have To. Don’t Believe What It Says. The Heater Core Is In Its Own Box. From Right To Left It Goes - Fan Box, Ac Box (with Lines), Then Heater Core Box Complete With Vacuum Controlled Flaps. It Comes Off The Side Of The Ac Box Separately. Careful When You Separate It And That You Remember Where The Flaps Go. Best To Put It On Its Side And Remove Half The Box - The Side In Which The Heater Hose Comes Out. (from: Shady280)

Good Luck
BigEkak1941
Old 10-02-2006, 12:18 AM

I have done it at least 8 times in the past couple months and the first few times it was time consuming. If you want to be perfect after you remove a fastner and the part just screw the fastener back in it's place a couple turns then you know where they all belong, You may want to take a couple photos as well. I you were to change the heater core pay very close attention to everything you take apart good luck and take your time about 8 hours the first time but that included a lot of slacking. just go for it .
Old 10-03-2006, 01:19 PM
The Evil Twin

I just removed another dash yesturday... took me all of 10 minutes again
Old 10-03-2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
I just removed another dash yesturday... took me all of 10 minutes again
Bleach, I got mine out in about 30 minutes, but all that was left were the screws on top and bottom of dash, speedo cable and plugs. All the radio stuff and steering wheel and console trim had been removed when i was restoring it before it was totalled. And it is not going back into my parts car so it dont matter.
If i ever had to do one, it looks confusing with all the plugs etc. i will just bring it to you. I checked yahoo maps and it is only 2881 miles or 40 hours and 44 minutes (hahaha).
Seriously, it wasnt as horrifying as i thought it would be. But i hope i never have to tackle it. I have to put a digital speedo in, but the dash wont have to come out for that, thank goodness!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:43 PM
No Club Love

Originally Posted by 3XAZOWNER
but the dash wont have to come out for that, thank goodness!!!
Don't jinx your self, all cars are different. anyways good luck on that.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:03 PM
The Evil Twin

as easy as it is to remove a dash in a junk car, I'm still nervous about removing the one in my car to fix the heater and put new gauge faces on

At least I have practice now
Old 10-04-2006, 03:24 PM
User Friendly

Haha, I know whatcha mean, Bleach! I've removed the dash from 1 240Z, 2 280Z's and 3 280ZX's, but have never reinstalled one. My removal time was down to 25 minutes, but can't imagine how long it'd take me to put it back in.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:26 PM
No Club Love

Bleach is afraid, never heard of such a thing. What happened to the ten minute bleach, its easy four bolts four screws. Then disconnect some things, and shes out. A B. you should hook me up with that dash, yup i'd love that.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:31 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by wreckedj30
A B. you should hook me up with that dash, yup i'd love that.
Yah, me too! Jade is now on her 2nd full dash cap, and it's cracked again! Both caps have a lifetime warranty, but you have to remove it, box and ship it to the manufacturer at your own expense to get a new replacement - not worth it to me.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:34 PM

DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER CLUSTER IS IN !!! Now that was interesting... it took about 3 hours to remove and replace with working one. Could have done it quicker, but i toyed with moving my odometer over from one cluster to the other. But since my speedo was bad, i didnt want to do that much work of putting it back together and find out that my problem was in the brass-like fitting that made the speedo work. So i just stuck it in with the higher mileage. So i have a speedo with 221K, a car with 113K and an engine with 25K. But i dont intend to sell it so it doesnt matter what the odo says.
Too bad the heater has a leak, because everything else could be done without removing the dash. But since you have practice....

Originally Posted by Bleach
as easy as it is to remove a dash in a junk car, I'm still nervous about removing the one in my car to fix the heater and put new gauge faces on

At least I have practice now
Old 10-04-2006, 03:38 PM
No Club Love

Originally Posted by Z Car Barbie
Yah, me too! Jade is now on her 2nd full dash cap, and it's cracked again! Both caps have a lifetime warranty, but you have to remove it, box and ship it to the manufacturer at your own expense to get a new replacement - not worth it to me.
Yeah well, i had no money so i went the other way and just bondoed the s.o.b. It's working, but i need to add some more, to make it smooth. Oh and reinstalling is very easy, same as removal. I can take her out in 10min. and but her back in 15. so yeah i trade a speaker box for the dash. Then maybe some money.