280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

My soon to be new(OLD) car

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:02 PM

My soon to be new(OLD) car

Well I was on the verge of throwing both my cars on Ebay to put towards a down payment on an EVO VIII untill.... I got an insurance quote, lets just say I would have had to drop out of school to keep up with payments/insurance. Sometimes I just wish I was a spoiled rich kid

So Im going to get the next best thing, a DSM. Its AWD and has the same amazing little power plant. I havent purchased it yet but am going to test drive it saturday to make sure everything the owner says check out.

Its got 90k original miles and is in pretty good shape in and out. Mods... small 16g turbo, 264/264 HKS Camshafts, Apex-i S- AFC mounted in left sun visor for tuning, open intake, Greddy Type- S Blow off Valve, 97-99 Factory alloy GST 5 spoke rims, short throw shifter. The entire head was redone by a reputable shop, along with new timing belt, radiator, head gasket, thermostat, waterpump, head studs etc... He has recipts to verify all this. only thing is its missing the passenger side lower door trim. He is asking $3,250 but Iv already talked him down to 3k.

When and if I get it Im going to put my daily driver up for sale and drive this instead. For now Id plan to keep it mostly stock other then some coilovers and maybe a turbo back exhaust to help it breath especially with the other mods already on it. The owner also has a 99' GSX with the same setup plus an exhaust and no cams and he runs a 12.6 at the track, with this car being light it should make for a fun daily driver if I end up getting it

Looking foward to seeing what you guys gave to say, especially Snow.. I know he likes his 4G63's.

Heres some pictures..

Old 02-22-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm a Registered User!

oh man! i know you said DSM, but is it a TSi? my friend in highschool had that car. It's so much faster then you'd imagine! We had alot of fun in that thing until the day he sold it

Awesome man!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by SpeciallySpiked
oh man! i know you said DSM, but is it a TSi? my friend in highschool had that car. It's so much faster then you'd imagine! We had alot of fun in that thing until the day he sold it

Awesome man!
No its an Eclipse so its a GSX not a TSI but same thing, just different badges and trim.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Über User

yeah same car... the GSX 1st gens though had uglier tail lights. lol. very nice lookin one G... im surprised they ugraded the turbo to only a small 16G its practically the same price for a big 16G... or even a 20G that just needs a rebuild... 18G's are awsome to... thats small 16G you wont go much faster than in teh 12's.... i think the record on a small 16G is in the low 11's. also... greddy BOV.... thats rediculous... when you see the guy... tell him he is an idiot lol... the Greddy BOV is the exact same thing as teh stock DSM BOV sept it vents to eht atmosphere. lol... LMAO thats funny that he spent 250 dollars on a part he already had lol. and does that thing have stock exhaust??? i think you can get it for about 2800 honestly.. 3k at teh most though. and it has 264 cams for both intake and exhausthmm.... DSM'ers usually runny a slightly larger exhaust cam i think... and yeah. what me n my friend just got done doing to his 4G63 in his galant VR4 is the Big 16G swap with a 3inch o2 housing with external dump tube still internal wastegate though, 3 inch down pipe 3 inch exhaust i tihk 570 injectors it has SAFCII and new cams i cant remember the numbers though... hmmm.. fidanza 10lb flywheel ACT clutch SS clutch line brake lines longer throw out shaft for slave. hmmm what else what else... also there is a secrete blend that john sheperd has its for the diffs transfer case and tranny... its a 50/50 mix (and this would be good for all cars) of i think BGD (or seomthign like that) synchro shift 2 mixed with Redline fluids. hmmm... anything else you can tell me aboot te car?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the feedack Eric...

I agree with the tailights, if you didnt notice he put Talon tails on it. I also like the talon side spoiler peices and the door trim so I am going to try and get some from a Junk yard. Then paint the upper half of the car including the spoiler satin black, I think that looks pretty cool. I was wondering about the cams, Iv never really seen anyone running 264's on both sides. Such as life. And Im not a fan of Greddy BOV's but their still very nice. I think he had a hard pipe with that flange anyways and put the 1G bov on his 99'. Id hope he isnt running it to the atmosphere. Im going to throw a FMIC on it pretty soon too.

This spring I plan on selling the S16G to my friend for his GST. I cant decide on what turbo I would want to go with though? I want something that will eventually be able to get me into the mid to low 11's I think a 20g witha ported 2g manifold could support that? I dont want to go to crazy though being a 3 bolt. Also depending on how I do installing MSnS on my friends gsT, ill probably end up dumping the S-AFC2 for MSnS and throw on my LC1 wideband. Then some 750cc's witha walbro 255, Aeromotive FPR and fuel rail. Witha better clutch hopefully I can be in the 11's by summer so I can take it to Nopi and kick some ***.

But the first thing Im doing if I buy it is a 3" turbo back and ditch the O2 housing. Just not sure what I want to buy, I dont feel like making my own like on the Z. Im looking into RNR but have heard a few bad stories. Along with that even though this car has new struts Im going to throw on either Tein or D2 coilovers. Depending on what shape the brakes are in Id like to throw on some 93'+ big brakes with SS lines, PS rotors and Hawk pads. All the other mods wont come till a little later though.

Ofcoarse it all depends on wether or not I even get the car, hey I like to plan things out

Any pics of the Galant VR4? I almost bought one in the most amazing shape for 4k before I got the Z, I love those things.

Ohh ya I was thinking about having my friend spray the car real quick this spring, what color do you suggest? Im not going to do a super nice top end $$ paint job like the Z, I dont want to have to worry about sractching it. I was thinking Graphite Grey from the new EVO's with the upper half of the car satin black? again thanks for the feedback
Old 02-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Über User

my buddy konieko has one in all black... bronzeish goldish rims big brake brembo kit. looks hella nice. kyb AGX shocks. and you want low 11's.... psh jsut go for 10's if your gonna go 20G. and i live right near AMS they make very strong tubular turbo header's for your car prolly the best around. they are the ones competing with buscher racing to make the worlds fastest evo 8. and if you dont go megasquirt AEM makes a i think a direct plug in standalone... or you can even just get DSM link... im goin back to my buddies house tonight actually ill take pics post em up tonight or tommorow for yah. the GVR4's are a rare care. only like 1500 made i think. at least in america. and ill ask him about the O2 housing they use. you plane on running external waste gate or no? cuase i can find out the brand that he has now for internal wastegate and what his bro has on his 20G car thats tial external waste gate. and ill get some sweet websites for you that make lots of 4G63 parts for you. but thats a nice car. i would honestly say paint it the way it is.. but if you want to change it go with all black they look hella nice in all black. im still boggled about the greddy BOV though lol. everything else on the car is nice... well besides not getting an exhaust that shoulda been one of the first things he got. well... ill get some info wheni see him and his bro in a few min's take some pics and report back here... and man if you can halp me out with the distrib and TPS thing ill seriously like.... sex ya up or seomthing lol... im in distress hah... no but ill be in debt to yah
Old 02-23-2007, 06:46 AM

HEy, check your other thread..

The other thing I was looking at was one of those SSautochrome Ebay manifolds. I know I know there junk, but from what I have read if you just weld in some braces there are pretty damn nice. I think they come with a T3 flange so I could throw on a Garret hybrid. And when I do go with a bigger turbo Id like to run a tial external. Thatd be great if you could talk to some of your friends. The one with the Brembo brake kit, is that the VR4? Cause pretty soon Id like to upgrade the stock small front brakes that come on the early model AWD's. And I knew about the AEM but its like $1600 vs. $400 and MS is just as capable.
And I have a rough idea but how far do you think I could go with the stock bottem end?
Thanks again for the help.
This is the EVO paint color I thought was pretty nice..

Last edited by KTM200-280zxt; 02-23-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Über User

i got pics ill post em today. stock the motor had no forged internals thats its only weak point but it should handle 400hp for 4 years lol... thats how long my buddies lasted and it was routinely given the full throttle... running 25psi on i think 750 injectors. and the brembo kit is on my buddies black talon tsi its down for now getting a full rebuild setup for like 600hp or more. aem standalone a whole bunch of jazz.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:01 PM

Just got back from going to pick the car up.... Lets just say I didnt quite pick it up. Im not quite sure wher to start but here it goes..... I get there and he is inside watching TV and the car has been running for like 30 minutes, thats a little fishy. I couldnt see out the winsheild because the headliner was drooping down in front of my face(common with these but still, he told me the best part of the car was the interior) There were random dents all over the damn thing, and were the driver's side door meets the front fender was kind of fubared up. Looked like the door kind of popped out of placed and smushed the fender in, then someone bashed it back out with a hammer.
The Greddy BOV which thank god was recirculated but still sounded ricey... it was mounted on the stock 1G flange!!!! If you dont know the diameter of the Greddy is 50% bigger then the 1G bov, so he just flopped it on there and drilled custom holes to hold it on I asked him why on earth he would do that, then he goes off on this big spout about how stock BOV's are trash.

One of the rear calipers was locked up and made the most god awefall squeeling noise. I popped the hood and looked around. He used that cheap *** red gasket maker crap on everything including the turbo manifold!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats just flat out rediculous!!!

I get there and it idles like complete ****, like a V8 with a crazy cam. He tries telling me that its the HKS cams, Im sorry but 264's arent going to sound that rediculous.
I take it for a test drive without him I put it through the paces and then some. haha. With the Fuel pump, S-AFC2(I hate these damn things), 16G, cams and all that it wasnt that fast. My friend who also owns a dsm was with me and he thought it was pretty quick. It just didnt do anything for me, I though it was cool how it just hooked right up but.. my car would make a complete joke out of it.

The best part...haha... I come back from the test drive and when I go to open the door, it pops out of place and smashes right through the fender!!! hahaha. I didnt even feel bad after he tells me all week how nice it is and I drive the whole 4+ hour round trip for nothing. So then he's telling me how this happens all the time and you have to bang the fender back out So he goes and gets a massive screwdriver to try and pry it back out.
So after all this he tells me he cant go a penny under $3K!!! I had $2,500 on me at the time, Even when I though it was in good shape I wasnt going to pay more then $2,500. I kind of hinted that it was only worth like $1,000 at the most and he was insulted. THen I left and that was the end of that what a day
Old 02-25-2007, 02:00 AM
Über User

thats a turd... dude... go out find a clean stock 100k TSI AWD. mod it yourself. and i asked my friend, intake 264 exhaust 272 something right around there... adds HP that way but around there is where it cams bad and the idl is rough. stock BOV's are trash!!!! did he hold up the greddy to his stock one? its THE SAME THING! and they are recirced my bad.. you cant do un recirced without a maf upgrade. the small 16G isnt worth the money if your gonna go and shcange your turbo. and ive never seen a trashy DSM interior. so idk. i actually knew of a car... dont know if its still for sale, i think either a 18G or 20G turbo the TDO5 prolly cause they are internally waste gated.... it was for sale around 5k and had a GOOD amount of work done. i think it ran in the 12's somewhere.... sorry i havent poped pics up yet but ive been uber busy again. i barely made it on this site today. ummm, that door thing, might be commmon for his car but no one elses. if you dont mind a drive ill see if i can get word on any nice DSM's from my friends, they always seem to know of soemthing... plus with teh forums they might know of somehting in your vacinity.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:14 AM

Thanks a lot Id really apreciate that. I found one in pretty good shape and I have a feeling I can get it for just under $2,000, id like to try for $1,800. But once again its already modified, which isnt a huge deal. Atleast this car has some intelligent things done to it.

THe big problem though is it is an automatic But I found a Vfaq on how to do the atuo-5spd. But everyone around here wants $400+ for just a tranny.

Mods:
Big 16g
2g manifold (HEAVILY ported)
3" Turbo-back exhaust w/high flow cat
- RRE o2 Elim. DP, unknown catback, magnaflow cat
Walbro 190 LPH (rewired)
Buschur Racing polished UICP
Big brakes w/new pads (red in color)
20-0-20 Autometer Boost Gauge
Greddy EGT Gauge (tapped in #1 runner)
Datalogger with everything
Eliminated Cruise Control (will include CC)
SAFC2
550s
2g mas w/dejon hard intake pipe
Head (8k miles ago)
OEM Head Gasket
Valve Seals
3g lifters
ARP Headstuds
Hot tanked / re-surfaced

Maintenance:
Timing Belt Done with head work
New alternator (fully rewired w/gold connectors, great voltage (<100 miles)
New Radiator (<100)
New Plugs / Wires (NGK)
New Ball joints (5k)
New Tie Rod-ends (5k)
New Sway Bar End links (<3k)
New Struts (10k)
New Fuel Filter (4k)
Just re-alligned
Old 02-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Über User

now thats a MUCH better mod list... do the transfer cases match up the aut to manual? cause an auto removes the fun in driving imo....
Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Über User

well... hey arent the best pictures... but you can get teh jist of it.

first of.. a 2G GSX i saw at school... idk know about you but i hate when people RE badge there cars

my buddy that has the galant VR4 swapped out the interior for an EVO's interior... its pretty damn slick

this is their bike(they are brothers)

this is the dump tube for an internally gated big 16G in the Galant

here is a big 16G

the car was in teh garage so this is alli could get a picture of

Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Über User

this is his brothers awsome TSI that he crashed thanks to some dumbass

a lil bit of the damage... notice the intercooler

this is where his tial wastgate puntured his fluidine radiator... EEK

and this is a TDO6 20G turbo that is externally gated... its a decent size turbo i suppose
Old 02-27-2007, 04:02 AM

Nice, thanks for the pictures. I love those fake Porsche badges

But that VR4 is nasty! That interior is amazing.

Whats your friend going to end up doing with his 1G?

Iv looked at some cars and nothing seems to be worth what people are asking. And my parents dont want me starting another project car yet So I have to get something reliable, my mom wants me to get a 2G because its newer. But hey, thats this week haha. The plan would be to go put a down payment on a 97-99' after I sell my daily driver. Im just really worried about Crank walk if I end up having to go with a 2g.

thanks again for the pictures, those are som really nice cars.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Über User

dont do 2G.... NEVER! unless you plan on swapping motors... they WILL crank walk if you push them... they are nice looking cars and have forged internals... but the 6 bolt design i think it is suffers crank walk.... its not nearly as reliable as the 1G. they are also much heavier.

my buddy is gonna find another 1G and mesh the front ends. but he is takin his sweet *** time. cuase now he goes to school and is a cummins diesel tech. so he has his work van and a lexus IS300 for a daily. we got teh VR4 to run but its got a mean oil leak now off i think the return line... can remember.. so once thats fixed we gotta tune it cause it ran like *** and fell on its face at WOT at 4k. ick.

as for me ive been looking for a daily. lol... 2G RX7's rotary turbo... early supra turbo/s, DSM, miata (awsome auto-x car), or a 88 89 323 AWD turbo.. only one i found was for a good price but in washington... maybe E can buy it. lol... ive also looked at AE86 corolla's.... and this ones not so DD but i love the way they look for some reason, early/mid 70's celica's.... i love that damn car lately.... but i really want something with an LSD i can **** around with or AWD...
Old 02-27-2007, 10:09 AM

The 2g's have the 7 bolt which crankwalks like a bitch. I would prefer a 1G but its a hard to find a nice reliable one that doesnt need anything. Iv found a few nice 1G shells but like I said unless I sell my Z I cant start another project. Do any of your friends have 2G's? From what I remember Mitsubishi didnt have a recall did they?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Über User

no recalls... if it crank walks its your own problem... it will totally destroy the motor to when it happens... no fixing it... one of there friends has an auto 2G with a good amount of **** done and a stall converter and shift kit... its pretty freakin fast and fun car i rode in it from ohio back to IL (DSM shootout) which you should go to next year if you get a dsm of any sort, its fawkin awsome.. a bunch of 18-28 year olds partying and racing... its freakin sick. dude.. there has to be a 1G around... broaden your search... get the distance further.. raise your search price more... theres gotta be something. that of give it a couple months when the weather is nicer thats when people start selling their cars.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:03 PM

If I end up getting a DSM I could definately get some people together to go down there, that would be sickk. and I am looking everywhere, everyone wants way too much for something in half *** shape. Oh and I shipped out that distributor, just send me some shipping money whenever, no big deal.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Über User

will do. 12 bucks friday broski! look what i got in the mail today.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:25 PM

Very nice, is that for the Z? And after I packed it up and everything it was a lot lighter then expected. It was like $9. The shipping label is going to say it cost $5 cause I tried putting down 1lb as the shipping weight they didnt go for it.haha
Old 02-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Über User

HAHA .... nice try though. i can get away with lying one shipping weight, and ok 9 dollars then friday. and of coarse thats for the Z lol... that remote is somewhate large dont let it fool you. lol its 28X12X3 so it fairly thick and jsut overal i think a good match for not running much psi just keepin it cool. but also large enough for when i do rebuild my motor to suppor 20 ish psi a lil more maybe. HURRAY!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:08 AM

my dad has a 91 laser awd turbo, and it was one hell of a car, when it still ran. When he bought it, it had 192,000 miles on it, and some damage to the passenger door. It missed and only made 9 lbs of boost (according to the gauge) but raped a 325is on the quarter mile with no problem, and I missed my shift into second gear. Take good care of the engine, and you'll be fine. My dad overheated it once, and the engine now has no compression. Now it's just a shell sitting at my grandparents house.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Über User

Cars sources
dsmtuners.com
dsmtrader.com
dsmtalk.com

Parts
jnztuning.com good for oem parts since they work directly with a Mitsu dealer
dsmparts.com
buschuracing.com
slowboyracing.com hard to find parts but they suck with shipping
ffwdconnection.com motorwork
shepracing.com #1 transmision choice, after this no one can say DSM trannies are weak
teamrip.com #2 transmision choice
rotora.com brakes
amsperformance.com

Transfer cases between autos and manuals do differ.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:16 PM

Wow thanks alot. haha I have tried everyone of those car places. But Im not allowed to post on DSMtuners or DSM trader. I did have my friend post a wanted over at DSM talk.