280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

My first Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:29 PM

My first Z

Well I'll have pics up in a day or two but I bought my first Z car for $750. has an overheating problem but what old one doesn't. I do have a problem though. The previous owner put on a short ram intake and the HUGE filter blocks half of the radiator, which doesn't help the overheating. I tried looking for pics to see how the factory set it up originally but all the links from the members' section don't work. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:46 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Originally Posted by 81ZX
has an overheating problem but what old one doesn't.
Actually... 280zx's don't have overheating problems unless it's been "tinkered" with, or abused / neglected.

I tried looking for pics to see how the factory set it up originally but all the links from the members' section don't work. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful thanks in advance.
Pick up a HAYNES Manual... lots of pics in there & tons of useful repair / maintenance info. Also check out all the 280zx pics @ cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/MakeModel/Datsun/280ZX
Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 AM

Alright well I took it on post yesterday and changed the oil and filter. I feel horrible because I didn't check the oil level before I drove it 2 hours to home on Saturday. She had about 2 qts in her and it was almost water. After the change the overheating problem corrected a bit, but I think it might be the fan clutch. I can spin the fan with my hands with the engine off. I don't think I should be able to do that.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

I think it might be the fan clutch. I can spin the fan with my hands with the engine off. I don't think I should be able to do that.

the fan is suppose to spin freely with the engine turned off.. if it doesn't spin then your fan clutch is seazed... try changing your thermostat and flush out your cooling system. its cheap and easy
Old 06-02-2008, 03:02 PM

Welcome to ZDRIVER!!!
Good to see someone from my neck of the woods. You have found a very helpful website, if you are looking for help in solving any problems your Z may have. These guys (and girls) really have the experience to help. Basically, someone has already experienced most the problems you will ever have.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:04 PM

Yeah thanks guys this place reminds me of tdiclub; extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I've got the new thermostat as well as some coolant and NKG plugs, nothin too expensive. I'm gonna tackle those tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I'll be able to get some pics up hopefully soon. But be warned she's a bit of a piece (for now).
Old 06-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Just remove the clutch fan and toss it like a Frisbee into the dumpster.
You can get a fan for about 40-60 and then just wire it to an ignition 12v source through a relay.

16inch will cover from top to bottom on the radiator and will keep it super cool.

While your in there, replacing belts doesn't hurt either.
And welcome!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by Ph34r
Just remove the clutch fan and toss it like a Frisbee into the dumpster.
You can get a fan for about 40-60 and then just wire it to an ignition 12v source through a relay.

16inch will cover from top to bottom on the radiator and will keep it super cool.

While your in there, replacing belts doesn't hurt either.
And welcome!
just were can get one of these without ordering it?, i have a order over the internet phobia that i am working on
Old 06-04-2008, 08:30 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
just were can get one of these without ordering it?, i have a order over the internet phobia that i am working on
Most auto parts stores have some basic ones, or they can order one for you. I know Checker / Kragen now carry a line of electric fans.

If you have internet-phobia... check them out online & then call them on the phone.

PS... Welcome to ZDriver! I think you added me as your myspace friend a couple days ago.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

yahh, crazy right, i didnt were all up in this site

oh and good luck 81zx with your car(i have an 81 zx !

evry body be rokin the 81 mayne

hey and GA seems to be the second highest z state(obviously lose to CAL)

crazy cause it used to be a buch of import hating rednecks in GA

columbus albany valdost, who else?

and have yall seen the gazclub, it sucks, we need to make one

Last edited by lww; 06-07-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:08 AM

Carquest, Napa, Autozone, ECT... all of them have them. I got my 16 inch for $65.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:38 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Nismo is right. The first thing you need to do is get a Haynes manual. You can pick them up at Amazon.com for $25:

http://www.amazon.com/Haynes-Datsun-...2429293&sr=8-1

Then, you should get a factory service manual. It's a little more expensive, but worth it:

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showp...50&postcount=1