280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

More busted bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 02:08 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

More busted bolts

I've had to deal with about oh... 8 broken/rusted bolts since the motor came apart, the one right now, is a headbolt. Has been soaking in PB/Marvel/etc/etc.

I've thrown everything I have at it, and have broken two straight flute bolt extractors, and probably 5 drill bits trying to reach the desired depth.

Right now, it is still soaking, I will wait a few hours, go resoak it, and so on and so forth.

I this is not my main engine block, I have two blocks, and I want both for both of my engines, for both of my Zs

Unless I can be convinced to get another RB motor or a JZ motor...
Old 10-29-2011, 08:09 PM
The Good Twin

A torque wrench is your best friend.

Buy a set of carbide spade drill bits (ebay)... they are life savers in times like this. Just don't put any lateral force on them, because they are brittle.

As for the broken head bolt, did it break on install, or had it snapped before you owned it?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by NismoPick
A torque wrench is your best friend.

Buy a set of carbide spade drill bits (ebay)... they are life savers in times like this. Just don't put any lateral force on them, because they are brittle.

As for the broken head bolt, did it break on install, or had it snapped before you owned it?
Broke on install, there was residue rust and other **** in the threads and the headbolt didn't want to give way, the torque wrench didn't click on me either before the bolt broke. And I had it set to factory specs
Old 10-30-2011, 11:12 AM

sounds like you need some heat to work that broken head bolt out, can you get ahold of a oxy/acetelyne torch? or a MAP gas torch, map gas takes longer but will get it hot enough to loosen it up, propane, don't even waste your time.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:39 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by 83turbo280zx
sounds like you need some heat to work that broken head bolt out, can you get ahold of a oxy/acetelyne torch? or a MAP gas torch, map gas takes longer but will get it hot enough to loosen it up, propane, don't even waste your time.
I don't have access to an acetelyne torch, at my old garage, yeah

I do have a small torch, but it's barely enough for s'mores
Old 10-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
Broke on install, there was residue rust and other **** in the threads and the headbolt didn't want to give way, the torque wrench didn't click on me either before the bolt broke. And I had it set to factory specs
Which in hind sight is why part of the rebuild it to chase the threads....

If you are getting the block preped I would just have the machinest extract them for you....

Use an impact driver to remove them. The driver will crack the oxides whereas a constant torque will not and you will snap the bolts...
Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Clean parts.

I'm going to go ahead and start a new topic in this thread, as I'm taking up too much space.

All of my parts, Crankshaft, camshaft, everything that had oil on it at one time, now has a layer of fuzz/dirt/dust/debris, from either laying around, or getting moved around, or in the general vicinity of other projects (Saws, etc.)

What should I clean these parts with, I don't want to stick them back in the motor with debris and crap on it, and I don't have a parts washer laying around, so what do I go get to either soak or just clean these parts with?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:57 PM
The Good Twin

Brake cleaner, then WD40.
Or use Purple Power degreaser from AZ / O'Reilly, wash off w/ water & immediately apply WD40.