280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Mechanical Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:31 PM

Mechanical Problems!!!

OK SO I TAKE IT TO THE MECHANIC TO GET AN IDEA OF WHERE THE ENGINE IS AT. QOUTED 1600 FOR

THERMOSTAT
RACK & PINION SYSTEM
OIL COOLER LINES
CV BOOTS AND ITS AXLE SHAFT

WELL I FOUND ANOTHER 280 PARTS CAR IN MY TOWN FOR $300, ITS AN N/A AND MINE IS A TURBO, OTHER THAN THAT SAME YEAR.

CAN I DO THIS STUFF MYSELF??? WHAT TOOLS DO I NEED??? WOULD CHILTONS HAVE ALL THE INFO ON HOW TO DO THIS???

AND CAN IF I CAN FIND THOSE PARTS IN THE N/A CAR WILL THEY WORK ON MY TURBO???

PLEASE RESPONDS ASAP, I HAVE TO DECIDE BY FRIDAY
Old 11-01-2006, 01:31 PM

Oh And I Forgot To Mention, That My Mechanic Said The Rack & Pinon Is Really Expensive Because The Engine Is Turboed??? Is That True???
Old 11-01-2006, 01:37 PM
The Good Twin

I don't really think we can "KNOW" if you can do it... we don't really know your skill level. But... the things you listed aren't very hard. If you can follow instructions in the manual... hopefully you can do it.

-Thermostat... easy

-Rack & pinion... not horrible, but time consuming. Ya need to know what you are doing.

-Oil cooler lines... WHAT ABOUT THEM?

-CV's... pretty easy.

The rack & pinions should be the same for any 82-83 models... I haven't heard anything about different steering ratios.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:55 PM

Im Pretty Skilled Mechanically I Just Didnt Know If Anything On There Was Something Youd Recommend A Mechanic Do.

Oil Cooler Lines Are Leaking

And I Was Asking Is There A Difference Between A N/a Rack And Pinion And A Turbo, Because That What My Mechanic Said.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:58 PM

On the CV boots: there are two types of boot on each axle. I dont remember whether its the inner or outter boot but one is cake and only takes a few minutes to so both axles (once the axles are out of the car). The other boot however is a special type and I wouldn't recommend tackling it. Getting the boot off is very difficult and you run the risk of damaging the area of where the boot must seal. It doesnt use standard CV boot clamps. So check to see which boots need to be replaced. If its the easy ones then go for it. If its the others though then you may as well pay someone else to do it. I started doing mine and I got so frustrated I never ended up putting the CV's on my Z. Installing/removing the CV axles in the car is a snap though.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:03 PM

And according to my service manual only one rack was issued for both the turbo and non-turbo models (two total actually, one for power steering and one for manual steering).. This is for '82-'83 though. I'm assuming yours is an 82-82 though as I'm pretty sure all non-turbo '81's used a steering gear type system and not a rack and pinion for power steering.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:13 PM

No Mine Is An 81 Turbo? So Would The 81 N/a Rack Work?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:23 PM
The Evil Twin

you need to know for sure if the 81 NA is a rack or if it is full power steering. 1981 (in my experience) is the most common year for power steering systems. That is totally differant than power assist rack like your turbo has.

The oil cooler lines are not on the NA car, and the NA car does not have CVs. It has U-joint half shafts.

Oil cooler lines can be changed to custom aftermarket connections with some research and work. Or price just the factory lines from Nissan if they are even available anymore. Those you can plug in yourself.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:24 PM

dear d griffin i have a complete front rack an pinion front a arms from a 1981 280zx turbo automatic.. i also have your cvs too.. i am locatedi n clovis new mexico i will sell u all these parts off the 1981 any parts u want for all 100 dollars .. if u have a truck i will help load it up too.. i just need to get rid of these parts... parts came off a car with only 65,000 miles on it...
Old 11-01-2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by DGriffin
No Mine Is An 81 Turbo? So Would The 81 N/a Rack Work?
what bleach said
If its an NA and it has a rack then its probably manual steering. If its power steering then it most likely has a comletely different steering system then your turbo does (worm-gear rather then rack and pinion). The only sure way to answer your question is to check out the non-turbo car. Pop the hood and see if it has a power steering pump. If there's is then have a look down the drivers side of the engine compartment right where the exhaust manifold is. Follow the steering linkage. Does it go a large steering box bolted to the side of the engine compartment or does it go all the way down to a steering rack attached to the crossmember? If its a rack, and the car has power steering, then you can use it. If it's not then you cant.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 11-01-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
i was told by my mechanic that 1982 and 1983 rack and pinions are the same--turbo or nonturbo--no diff. i know same for z31--i replaced 2 sets-1 turbo, 1 nonturbo--same/same. except 1986--slightly wider . but 82/83 same--unless what bleachie says. he's smart.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by z-hag
i was told by my mechanic that 1982 and 1983 rack and pinions are the same--turbo or nonturbo--no diff. i know same for z31--i replaced 2 sets-1 turbo, 1 nonturbo--same/same. except 1986--slightly wider . but 82/83 same--unless what bleachie says. he's smart.
yes the 82/83 racks are the same for turbo and non turbo. The problem is that he has a turbo 81 and the other car is a non-turbo 81. The problem is that in 81 the non-turbos didnt come in power rack and pinion (as far as I know).

IF, and thats a strong emphasis on the IF, the 81 nonturbo has a power rack, then its most likely compatible.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:53 PM

Ill Keep You Guys Up To Date On What Im Doing (as Ill Prolly Need Some More Help) Thanks For The Knowledge So Far.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by nismo619
dear d griffin i have a complete front rack an pinion front a arms from a 1981 280zx turbo automatic.. i also have your cvs too.. i am locatedi n clovis new mexico i will sell u all these parts off the 1981 any parts u want for all 100 dollars .. if u have a truck i will help load it up too.. i just need to get rid of these parts... parts came off a car with only 65,000 miles on it...
where is Clovis, NM??? I dont think i can go to far can we meet somewhere maybe?? im in Phoenix, AZ. Ill pay more if you can get closer to me!!!

Last edited by DGriffin; 11-01-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
you need to know for sure if the 81 NA is a rack or if it is full power steering. 1981 (in my experience) is the most common year for power steering systems. That is totally differant than power assist rack like your turbo has.

The oil cooler lines are not on the NA car, and the NA car does not have CVs. It has U-joint half shafts.

Oil cooler lines can be changed to custom aftermarket connections with some research and work. Or price just the factory lines from Nissan if they are even available anymore. Those you can plug in yourself.
SO WHAT YOUR SAYING IS THE OTHER CAR I WAS THINKING OF GETTING IS POINTLESS TO GET SINCE IT DOESNT HAVE THE PARTS I NEED???

Last edited by DGriffin; 11-01-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
do you know if the one you are looking at has power steering???
Old 11-01-2006, 05:22 PM

No I Dont Know If It Has Power Steering, But My Main Concern Is The Cv, And Oil Cooler Lines.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Queen of Yachts

if the NA and turbo models were not compatible, then correct, ---where do you be----if nismo's stuff worx, man--findaride! ?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by DGriffin
No I Dont Know If It Has Power Steering, But My Main Concern Is The Cv, And Oil Cooler Lines.
the other Z will NOT have those items if its a non-turbo (unless somebody swapped them in at some point in time).
Old 11-02-2006, 09:49 AM

Ok Guys, Another Problem!!!!!!!!!!!

I Went To Get Emission Done On My Car, And Everything Passed Accept The Carbon Monoxide Emissions. The Limit Is 25 And I Was At 35!!!!

Please Help!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Queen of Yachts

i fergit--is CO the cat?????
Old 11-02-2006, 10:02 AM

I Think It Is, But Would The Cat Alone Raise It 10 Points
Old 11-02-2006, 10:26 AM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by z-hag
i fergit--is CO the cat?????
Yeah, could be, but it could also just be the Oxygen Sensor. Click HERE for general info. on how to test the O2 Sensor. A Haynes manual would be more specific and helpful.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:51 AM

High CO generally means you're running rich. On my truck, it was a 15 year old Toyota sea level carburetor being tested at 5400 feet. On a former '78 280Z it was a Seattle-set bypass screw on the AFM. Too much fuel. Cat converters are supposed to treat unburned hydrocarbons as well as (to some degree) CO. Note that they don't really work well until they're about 700 degrees F. They also don't go bad that frequently (compared to other causes). You did warm up the car before taking it to be tested, right? Ditto testing your O2 sensor. If you're still too rich, check your CSV to see if it's leaky (i.e. constantly enriching). Also check/test your temperature sensors and their connections. Only replace the cat if you have to. They're spendy. Just my $0.02.
good luck,
Dave

Last edited by BoulderZ; 11-02-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:02 PM

Thanks, Is There A Way To Reset The Ecu, By Taking Off The Battery For An Hour Or So And Connecting It Again?

Also Is There Any Sort Of Way I Can Just Run It Lean To Pass Emissions, Then Get It Back To Normal After.

Ill Get It Fixed Properly I Just Need To Get The Emissions Ok So I Can Get The 280 Registered. Thanks Again Everyone

Quick Reply: Mechanical Problems!!!