280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Lots of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:39 PM

Lots of Questions

OK, to start off with, a bunch of my friends are trying to get me to put a Nissan Titan engine in my 280zx. I've searched on this, but came up with nothing on this site, and not much on hybridz (why dont people like that site, anyway?) Any ideas at all if it would fit? Or any problems I would have?

On a second note, here's a bunch of pics of my car:

Old 07-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Under My Car... brb

Tis a sexy beast you have. I have a 2+2 much like that. I like the exterior mods, are they all MSA parts? The Honda is sweet too. (Please don't kill me ) Looks like it may be too low judging by the air dam.

Unfortunately I couldn't tell you anything about doing that swap. If you want a V8 then there is tons of info on putting in a small Chevy. I have yet to see the LS1 or any newer, fuel injected conversion though. I don't do much at hybridz either so that may be why.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:41 PM

Well, the honda is actually a piece of crap. it just needs a lot of work done to it. he bought it in iraq from craigslist...looks awesome from 10 feet...not so once you get into it, lol. but it has potential. as for the 280, the exterior mods were done before i bought it, but i do believe everything was MSA. Thanks for the props!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

yay you got the hood scoops!!!!

the only car i know with a titan swap is the maxxis tire 350z...
Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 PM
The Good Twin

#1... Do you have mad fab skillz? It's going to take A LOT of $$$ and time to do a VK swap.

#2... I suggest an L28ET swap... much easier, same power potential, much cheaper, much more fun.

#3... That honduh needs to be burned.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 PM

well, im in a maintenance unit and can get fab work done no problem by like 5 different good welders...and the titan engine, tranny, pcm, and harness is only 1500 with 9k miles on it...but both engines have the same power potential????
Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 PM
NisTuner

When I saw that Honda in the picture I exclaimed out loud.

What....Is...THAT!?

There may be more power potential in the Titan engine, but considering all the fab work to get the engine to fit, getting the tranny to mount, etc. You could dump all that time and effort into an L28ET and easily beat out a stock Titan V8.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:38 AM
Under My Car... brb

I would bet the performance mods would be equally hard to find and costly. For the money and performance a Chevy conversion kit would be the way to go, IMHO. It would be cool to say "I swapped a Titan powerplant into my 280ZX" though. I would be impressed. Not that that matters much. LOL...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

same power potential??!??!? a stock titans motor makes about 300hp...

you mean same hp when the l28et is built and the titan motor is stock

where you have to look army zx is at the front mabe even rear suspension mods driveshaft and rearend mods... custom intake piping(altough i think the piping is in the front like a LS1)mabe the steering colum has to be moved... engine bay is probly going to have to be choped up and reshaped to get the engine to fit... and then hoping it dosent twist the 2+2 apart after all that work

EDIT: oh and you may(im sure) have to say goodbye to the beautiful shape of a zx's hood...

Last edited by 280zx2by2; 07-17-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:14 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
same power potential??!??!? a stock titans motor makes about 300hp...

you mean same hp when the l28et is built and the titan motor is stock
That's why I said the word "potential." Obviously out of the box the VK motor will make more power, and have gobs of torque... But other than the "wow factor" that people MIGHT have when the hood is lifted, the cost and fab time is not worth it (to me anyway). The L28ET has plenty of power, and more fun to drive.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

thats still not potential... throw a turbocharger on the vk and you got more hp than a l28et or any l28ettttt could ever safely make

im going to have to steal the american muscle guys favorite quote

"there ain't be's no's replecements for that there displacements"
Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
The Good Twin

thats still not potential... throw a turbocharger on the vk and you got more hp than a l28et or any l28ettttt could ever safely make
That's the silliest / ricey-est comment you've made thus far...
Old 07-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Under My Car... brb

Originally Posted by NismoPick
That's why I said the word "potential." Obviously out of the box the VK motor will make more power, and have gobs of torque... But other than the "wow factor" that people MIGHT have when the hood is lifted, the cost and fab time is not worth it (to me anyway). The L28ET has plenty of power, and more fun to drive.
Gotta go with Nismo on this one. You can go Chevy small block and drive train and have aftermarket support. The fab costs and time to dump the Titan motor in far outweigh the benefits to me. Outside of bothe the car and drivetrain being Nissan I wouldn't consider it. Look around you can probably find an LS# drivetrain and pick up a painless wiring kit for the same $$$ and there are radiators, motor mounts, etc.. available to make the install alot easier.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

That's the silliest / ricey-est comment you've made thus far...
me being ricey? you sugested the turbo 6 i was just pointing out your failure to recognize that l-series motors do have limits... at 300 hp where the vk is just starting in stock trim...
Old 07-17-2008, 12:11 PM
The Good Twin

"throw a turbo on it" is a ricer comment. Do you know what it would take to turbocharge a VK motor?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:03 PM
NisTuner

Let's assume they already have the manifolds made up for a turbo, I don't know if they actually do or not, but now we need a turbo. Now we need a downpipe for the turbo, a custom exhaust needs to be made up to fit properly. You'll probably need to change the injectors to support the extra power from the turbo. You'll need feed lines to the turbo and back to the pan for oil flow. You'll have to redo the intake piping, you'll want an intercooler if you're putting this much effort in. You'll most likely want an oil cooler. Now you need some new computer to run the turbo and actually make it effective. Depending on the tranny you may need a new one of those if you want to start making alot more power, which will probably require new mounts. You'll probably also want a new rear diff to actually plant the power, and something that's more in the range you're looking for. Not to mention then you'll want brake upgrades to make sure you can stop.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:14 PM

oh hey, on a side note, anyone got any white face gauge stickers? ive seen the km/h ones on ebay, and emailed the guy that sells them, but havent heard anything..and you guys are awesome by the way, thanks for the input!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:32 PM

oh, for anyone who has myspace....... http://www.myspace.com/russ_daumer
Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 PM
eff good grammar

i wouldnt do the titan engine, there are so many better options out there its just nuts to go through all that work for a titan engine, unless your going to tow a 20ft trailer with your Z i would do something else.

do you know what center console cap w/ cupholders is on there?
i want one like that mounted so theyre foreward but i keep being told its a no go.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:07 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
do you know what center console cap w/ cupholders is on there?
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/CARWCH/50-2569

Old 07-17-2008, 08:07 PM

i believe its the one from MSA...i just mounted it that way with four screws, works great and doesnt look half bad...i woulda mounted it the other way but the levers to open the rear windows get in the way
Old 07-17-2008, 09:12 PM
eff good grammar

what about your mirrors?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

"throw a turbo on it" is a ricer comment. Do you know what it would take to turbocharge a VK motor?
ok i mean't S/C... just saying that if he wants to swap an import v8 let him lead the way cause if he does do it he will be putting out some of the highest numbers on this site... mabe not the best 1/4 mile but still highest hp...
Old 07-17-2008, 11:00 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

ok i mean't S/C... just saying that if he wants to swap an import v8 let him lead the way cause if he does do it he will be putting out some of the highest numbers on this site... mabe not the best 1/4 mile but still highest hp...
Interesting. Define "safely" for me if you would? Just so you are aware, there are a number of L series motors making 400+ whp. Jeff Priddy is approaching 650 whp in his 280ZX w/ L6 turbo motor. In Japan and Australia, there are MANY making over 300 whp with carburetors.

My L6 with carb'd turbo was making over 400 hp at the last dyno test. Once I get the ITB's setup, I should be in the 450+ whp range as well.

Be careful when you make "absolute" statements about subjective observations.

Sneak preview:

Last edited by lww; 07-17-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by lww
Interesting. Define "safely" for me if you would? Just so you are aware, there are a number of L series motors making 400+ whp. Jeff Priddy is approaching 650 whp in his 280ZX w/ L6 turbo motor. In Japan and Australia, there are MANY making over 300 whp with carburetors.

My L6 with carb'd turbo was making over 400 hp at the last dyno test. Once I get the ITB's setup, I should be in the 450+ whp range as well.

Be careful when you make "absolute" statements about subjective observations.
this is were you guys are missing my point...

im talking with stock internals

300 hp L motor with stock internals.... not a daily driver
300 hp vk with stock internals.... drive it to cuba for all that motor cares

lww what brand air dam is that?

Last edited by lww; 07-18-2008 at 12:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Lots of Questions