280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Intake Manifold is back off

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:05 PM

Intake Manifold is back off

Hey guys!

After boost testing my manifold I found out I had a leak out the bottom of the intake on the cylinder 1/2 runners. I figured this it likely what's causing my rough idle since (if I'm not mistaken) a boost leak would also be a vacuum leak when it's not under load.

So I've got it off again (took it off before to replace the gasket) and everything seems to be okay.. I figured the intake mani might be slightly warped or something but it seems pretty flat. Should I take it to a machine shop and have them check it for me to be safe? I really would rather not have to do this again.

I've got a new gasket coming in the mail too, though this one seems to be in good condition. Just replace it anyway? Was only like 10 bucks. Also, yes I used copper gasket sealant last time and I'd use it again.

Of course if you think there's something I'm missing please enlighten me

Warning - High res photos.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/11grtw1.jpg

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2zi1or9.jpg

http://oi40.tinypic.com/117sk8z.jpg

http://oi39.tinypic.com/6gfvau.jpg

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2n6x3z5.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/214clqq.jpg
Old 08-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Big Poppa

seems ok to me. just make sure both manifolds are the same thickness. if they are not those thick washers wont hold both manifolds down equally. gasket looks good, keep using the copper coat, its good stuff. make sure you use all the oe thick washers when installing the job too, regular washers just seem to bend and cause leakage
Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by ThaPimpShrimp
After boost testing my manifold I found out I had a leak out the bottom of the intake on the cylinder 1/2 runners. ....

So I've got it off again (took it off before to replace the gasket) and everything seems to be okay..
Confused...

Not sure what you mean by "boost testing". What lead you to believe runners 1 & 2 are leaking? Did you inspect the injector o-ring seals? (the usual culprit)
Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Confused...

Not sure what you mean by "boost testing". What lead you to believe runners 1 & 2 are leaking? Did you inspect the injector o-ring seals? (the usual culprit)
Built myself something like this:

Pressurized my intake at the turbo inlet and I could hear leaking underneath the intake manifold and pressure dropped almost immediately. After testing it over and over trying to find where it was coming from I found I could feel it under the first and second intake runners.

Shady280 may have it right though, this time around I noticed I've only got 4 of those big hefty washers for the bolts that hold the intake/exhaust on. The other two were just crappy ones that were all bent up.. going to try and source some today from Nissan, if not then it's off to the junkyard.

Still, think I should just throw that new gasket on when I re-install everything? Should I maybe have the manifold checked over to ensure it's not warped at all?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Big Poppa

just use a stainless ruler and check the manifold yourself. its not really a part that warps very often. headers and exhaust manifolds tend to do to combustion heat. not having those washers are what will cause a leak. always use a new gasket, no need doing it again.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
just use a stainless ruler and check the manifold yourself. its not really a part that warps very often. headers and exhaust manifolds tend to do to combustion heat. not having those washers are what will cause a leak. always use a new gasket, no need doing it again.
Got it sir! Going to search for some of those washers.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:16 AM

Found some, cost me a whopping 2 bucks. Hope this is all it was!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:36 PM

So I'm slowly and carefully putting everything back together. I decided to detach the downpipe from the exhaust so I could easily pull the header back up to match the holes in the head.. when I noticed how loose my downpipe was attached to my turbo.

Photo of the bolts I'm speaking of: http://oi39.tinypic.com/wjcqba.jpg

I was able to finger tighten them, I assume this is probably because of the heat due to the turbo.. but the bigger issue is perhaps that I'm completely missing one of them: http://oi43.tinypic.com/309298l.jpg (Camera wouldn't focus on it)

Should I try to source one of these bolts from Nissan?

In other news, exhaust gasket is in place with that miserably sticky sealer!

http://oi41.tinypic.com/5akui8.jpg
Old 08-11-2013, 06:21 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by ThaPimpShrimp
Should I try to source one of these bolts from Nissan?
Remove one of the others, take it to your local Napa or Fastenal, and say: I want another of these.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:49 PM

Remove one of the others, take it to your local Napa or Fastenal, and say: I want another of these.
Got it

Hopefully it'll be all back together and running within a couple days! Just get a little time work on on it every day after I get home.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 PM

So in the process of all of this I've managed to kinda screw up all of the old wiring to the sensors in the thermostat.. I've been digging through the FSM but it's hard to tell what each one does.

Now I've replaced #3, which is the sensor for the gauge if I'm not mistaken.

The rest.. I'm not entirely sure what they do. Turbo Z's don't have a thermotime switch right? A quick rundown on each would be awesome

Main reason I ask is because #2 with the green wire is seriously messed up and about to fall off, and I may replace the clip for #4.

Edit: OH And I have to order a new intake/exhaust bolt.. because one of mine is stripped apparently.. Didn't see it when I screwed them partially in. It's going to be a serious pain to get in there with the intake on..
Old 08-16-2013, 07:05 AM
The Good Twin

The pigtail sensor is the switch for the injector fan. The bullet connector is the water temp gauge sensor (connects to yellow wire). See pic.

Who are you ordering the bolt through? Napa / your local fastener warehouse should have 1234982349075 of them in stock.

Name:  TSensors.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  160.7 KB
Old 08-16-2013, 07:28 AM

The pigtail sensor is the switch for the injector fan. The bullet connector is the water temp gauge sensor (connects to yellow wire). See pic.

Who are you ordering the bolt through? Napa / your local fastener warehouse should have 1234982349075 of them in stock.
Oh whoops! So the "thermal transmitter" is for the gauge and the "water temp switch" is for the hair dryer? I guess I don't need to replace it then!

And I'll pull one of those bolts off and bring it to Napa then! For some reason I didn't realize they kept stock of stuff like that.