280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

I'm so frustrated ! Grrr

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM

I'm so frustrated ! Grrr

Here we go again. Now that I got my engine to run , it has developed an issue and I don't know why. When I discovered that my motor was flooding terribly, I drained all my oil and replaced it with a new filter. I'm not kidding when I say there must have been a couple of gallons of gas in the crankcase! I identified an injector that appeared to be stuck open. It sprayed fuel all over the place with the plug out. I pulled and cleaned all the injectors and it did fire up after that. What happens now is that the engine runs really rough at an idle and stumbles badly as I try to accelerate. But more importantly is the tail pipe looks good until the engine temp starts to come off the cold line and then the engine starts to blow smoke! It doesn't smell like oil but ti definitely is smoking. Any idea why? I never cranked or ran rhe engine when the crankcase was empty but could the gas sitting in the crankcase have done something to the rings???
Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM

what color is the smoke?
did you replace the spark plugs and the wires. i dont know how a flood that bad can effect spark plugs but it cant be good.
also you should buy new injectors all together just to elimante that problem since it sounds like they are in rough shape man.. guy on ebay, swc06ca is his user name, i have bought many reliable sets from him he lives in sa were i do and his products all match..
check your fuel filter for ugly fuel maybe your tank is sending gunk your way?
and a node light from orielys can help test to see if your injector connector is sending a pulse signal (good) or constant signal(bad) to the injector
Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Big Poppa

id be buying the above, fixing injectors by cleaning seldom works. if the fuel filter is clogged or letting bit thru its just gonna clog up the injectors again. also if the car sat for some time it also would mess up the injectors.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 PM

Have you changed the oil a FEW times? If you flooded the crank case with fuel well you now have the cleanest engine around! Id change it run it for half an hour drain and replace till your sure the fuel is out. Then give her a gooood rapeing. Mine acts up time to time with the studders shakes and pops. I get pissed and run her up to 6 grand threw the 4 gears and she acts proper for a few months. Smoke is smoke. If your out of oil well it will seize. If you empty your radiator with in a mile well your engine needs to come apart =)
Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 PM

I'm really worried it's gonna ruin the rings, if it hasn't already. I smelled the smoke last time and it didn't have a smell. It won't do it until it's been running for about 10 minutes. I think I'm gonna have to go with some plugs, cap, and rotor for the roughness but that may not be all my problem. I am so hoping it's not an engine pull siuation.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 PM

I had the exact same thing with mine. It was the AFM. Made the engine run so rich that it filled the crank casing with gas. Rebuilt the AMF, no difference. REPLACED the AFM and viola! I drive it daily. No problems.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM

Yep and your rings should be fine! Your still lubeing them with oil even though the gas is in they're kinda of a f$*ked up two stroke amf will do this ! I second boost "I keep many spares". Plugs should be fine after you run it a few days.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Boosalmi...funny, I was hoping it was something like that. I have another AFM I can try. It's just weird that it will start now and run rough AND when it runs about 2-3 minutes I start to see that smoke out the tailpipe. It's white but doesn't seem to smell. I put my hand over the exhaust and it doesn't smell like oil. I'm baffled but the oil level is staying right where I left it when I changed the oil.
and Lens......I want to think the AFM is the culprit. I will be doing the cap/rotor/plugs this weekend. The wires look new. I found the thermal vacumn switch with all the vacumn ports and its broken and all the lines are plugged. How could this impact the running? It has been that way ever since I bought the car so I did run smooth in this condition...at one time!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by BlakesZX
Boosalmi...funny, I was hoping it was something like that. I have another AFM I can try. It's just weird that it will start now and run rough AND when it runs about 2-3 minutes I start to see that smoke out the tailpipe. It's white but doesn't seem to smell. I put my hand over the exhaust and it doesn't smell like oil. I'm baffled but the oil level is staying right where I left it when I changed the oil.
and Lens......I want to think the AFM is the culprit. I will be doing the cap/rotor/plugs this weekend. The wires look new. I found the thermal vacumn switch with all the vacumn ports and its broken and all the lines are plugged. How could this impact the running? It has been that way ever since I bought the car so I did run smooth in this condition...at one time!
White smoke is likely coolant..
Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 PM

OUCH! PIMP....can you offer a theory why it would not smoke until it starts to warm up or the engine has run 2-3 minutes? I don't see a drop in coolant yet. I tend to think there is no thermostat cause the coolant seems like it's moving as soon as the car starts AND the temp gauge takes forever to warm up!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:10 PM

Something new:
The plugs / cap / rotor
AFM cleaned and serviced per the rebuild thread
new oil and filter
new TPS
new vacumn lines
new batttery

I thought maybe the cold start valve might be the culprit for dumping fuel but I disconnected it and plugged the fuel line to it and = no difference
Rough running and still smoke
I just don't get it. I drove it home a couple of months ago with a SLIGHT miss and no smoke. It hasn't left my driveway and no overheating.The oil still is getting some fuel from somewhere. The coolant level never drops. The smoke has no odor and as of tonight it started smoking the minute I started it! I have a question but it probably isn't even a possibility.....the master cylinder has lost all it's brake fluid and I can't find a leak as of yet. It's not wet inside behimd the brake pedal nor is it wet around the brake booster and not around the calipers to the best that I can see. I will have to double check that this weekend. Is there anyway the brake fluid can find itself sucked into the intake and then the cylinders?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

I believe if the booster fails the fluid can get sucked in the intake.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 PM

Have you done a compression test?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:56 PM

Not yet, PIMP. I'm getting a Comp test set from Harbor Freight this weekend. BUT, Hoooray.......and EVAN..you were right on track. I followed thru with my smoke problem by checking my master cylinder again after the engine had been running. The fluid was low...and at the time I hadn't put 2 and 2 together just yet, but once I filled it back up and pumped the pedal WHILE it was running...SMOKE galore!!! LOL....now I seperated the booster hose from the manifold and it was wet with something but I plugged it up and did my test again and although it was still burning some excess brake fluid, the smoke was MUCH less. I pumped the pedal and still no massive fogging! I shut it down and pulled the hose off the bottom of the booster and brake fluid ran out! Now my question is.......believing the booster is now bad wouldn't it suggest the MC is bad too because after all, the fluid can't get inside the booster unless it leaks out the rear seal from around the rod? I can't say I've ever run into this with any car!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:29 PM

UPDATE: So now the source of the smoke is, in fact, my brake fluid being sucked through the booster vacumn hose. I don't have any way to check at home for the real culprit. It could be the booster or the MC. Since the MC is alot cheaper than a new booster, I started there. The check valve seems to be functioning. Air flow is only one way. I'll have the MC in tomorrow night. Bleed everything and give it a try. I'm gonna have to pull the booster off to drain all the brake fluid out. It's still half full! I'm still wondering if the booster is bad, can I get away with vacumn plugged and run on standard brakes?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:01 PM

UPDATE: So now the source of the smoke is, in fact, my brake fluid being sucked through the booster vacumn hose. I don't have any way to check at home for the real culprit. It could be the booster or the MC. Since the MC is alot cheaper than a new booster, I started there. The check valve seems to be functioning. Air flow is only one way. I'll have the MC in tomorrow night. Bleed everything and give it a try. I'm gonna have to pull the booster off to drain all the brake fluid out. It's still half full! I'm still wondering if the booster is bad, can I get away with vacumn plugged and run on standard brakes?
Don't know but I am glad to find out it's not a head problem
Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 PM

can I get away with vacumn plugged and run on standard brakes?
You could run with out vacum on the brakes but i hope u got one hell of a strong leg to stop the beast. i wouldnt do it. its like being in a car thats being towed its all u can do to slow the car down when the person towing u slowes down like 3 mph
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM

Yeah, your brake pedal will be as stiff as when the car is off and rolling. Real hard to stop, like stepping on a big rock.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:46 PM

UPDATE-2:
Ok..well I replaced the MC, pullled and drained the booster, and blasted carb cleaner thru the throttle body. The smoke is about gone. Of course, I also bled the brakes and flushed all the brown fluid out. I had to install a thermostat because it was missing. Since all the cold start items are not functioning from what I can tell, the faster the engine warms up; the better it runs. I do seem to be smelling fuel in the oil .........still. I already pulled the injectors and back flushed them with carb cleaner as was suggested. They all click when they pulse but it kinda suggests that one or more might be sticking open? The last time this happened, I discovered my entire crankcase was full of gas as it came running out when I pulled the dipstick! I've since drained and refilled it. All in all.........I'm getting closer.