280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

If Only I Had $200 ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 03:53 PM

If Only I Had $200 ...

... I'd buy this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eaton...QQcmdZViewItem

That is the EXACT supercharger I'm looking for to put on my Zed. I'd want to find a larger pulley for the S/C side to drop the pressure from the 16 pounds it inputs to the 3.8 V6 to something less aggressive, like 8-10 pounds. Actually, I figure if I dumb it down to about 6 pounds and add an RRFPR, I'd bet the stock fuel injection could still handle it.

Just thought I'd post that ... maybe anyone with $200 and a mad S/C design laying around could have a go at it.

Peaces,
-Dave-O
Old 08-14-2005, 04:06 PM

can this be added to an L28E
Old 08-14-2005, 04:24 PM
The Good Twin

You could scrounge up $200! Thad be a sick Z! I've seen a couple vids of a green 280z that's been s/c'd... pretty wicked!
Old 08-14-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
You could scrounge up $200! Thad be a sick Z! I've seen a couple vids of a green 280z that's been s/c'd... pretty wicked!
Can I borrow $200 bro?

Really, I can't. I'm jobless, and in debt. Otherwise, I would have bought it already.

Doesn't matter anyway, there were two hours left on the auction when I posted it. Hopefully, the winning bidder skips on him AGAIN [this is the second time I've seen it posted on eBay], and I'll have $200 laying around when it's reposted.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:21 PM

But then there's also the fact that you gotta make the damn thing fit your car which means some serious fabrication time. It would be pretty sick though to see someone with a SC'd 280ZX.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:45 PM

I'm sure I could do it. Give me the opportunity to perfect my welding skills. I've got some spare galvanized fence post I could use for intake piping, my neighbor's got a pipe-bender, and plenty of 1/4" thick aluminum to make flanges from.

I'd mount it on the spark-plug side of the engine, and run the charge pipe around the front of the car, add an intercooler, then go straight into the manifold via stock throttle body and AFM. Until I max it out, that is.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:56 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
But then there's also the fact that you gotta make the damn thing fit your car which means some serious fabrication time. It would be pretty sick though to see someone with a SC'd 280ZX.
Here is the vid of that supercharged 280z... I used to have that guy's web page bookmarked... but can't find it now. He installed the s/c above the intake manifold I believe.

http://www.uploadtemple.com/view.php/1124077888.wmv
Old 08-14-2005, 09:02 PM

My holy shitness ... that sounds soooo hot! Nismo, you are the man. If you find his site, send it my way. I want to read up on EVERYTHING about that car and setup.

Damnit, I've decided. To hell with the N/A buildup, I'm going the S/C route. Hell, if anything, It'll cost a bit less to buy the blower assembly, fabricate piping, and get a MegaSquirt for my car than it would to build a 3100cc NA stroker.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:08 PM

that sounded pretty sick................ blower madness
Old 08-14-2005, 09:45 PM
The Good Twin

this is about all I can find right now:

a link w/ a small pic of his setup (vid's inside) http://www.sportzmagazine.com/Z_Downloads.htm

and here is a thread from zcar.com about it: http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?...76508&t=576508
Old 08-14-2005, 10:49 PM

Quite the setup, from what I can see. I'd rather mount the S/C on the passenger-side of the engine just because everything else is on the driver's side [intake, exhaust, master cylinder, steering column, etc. etc.], and there's a good bit of unused space on the other side. Also makes it a lot easier for me to fabricate piping and I can still use the stock manifold [damn these Utah emissions - hopefully the 25-and-older deal sticks, 2006 is a good year!].
Old 08-14-2005, 10:54 PM

MR.F from a diff zcar web site had this to say about super charging..........

The basic supercharger (of the correct displacement for a given engine) will be the same unit pretty much regardless of application. The key to installation is the parts that make up the kit which need to:

1. Mount the supercharger to the engine - basic brackets which need to be strong enough to support the loading effect of the engine driving the resistance and orientate the unit in line with drive belt(s).
2. Suitable crank pulley to drive the supercharger belt along with retaining all your other standard functions like alternator, power steering, air-con. This usually means an extension ahead of the existing pulley. Supercharger manufacturers will have a variety of pulleys for the unit itself to determine the speed at which it is turned and, therefore, the boost that can be achieved.
3. A suitable tract for getting the intake air from the atmosphere into the supercharger and another for the pressurised air into the engine intake - on an injected car the MAF may be incorporated before or after the supercharger, depending on design.
4. For V engines, an Eaton or Rootes style supercharger may be mounted on a special manifold on top of the V - see Stillen for 350Z for example or most big displacement V8 installations. Centrifugal types are side mounted, e.g. Vortech, HKS etc and the rotor versions can mount here also. Mounting position will determine how much pipework and where it will go. A centrifugal supercharger will blow into the throttle body (bodies) or into a sealed carburettor plenum / bonnet, a rotor version may go before or after the throttle body according to position of installation.
5. Some means of moderating fuelling and ignition timing - more air means more fuel. Don't assume the standard system will cope - it won't. Higher boost means the greater likelihood of detonation under load - some means of automatic retard will be needed. At least an extra injector and controller will be necessary.
6. Intercooling - superchargers still produce heat. Not as much as a turbo, hence they are in some ways "more gentle" to your engine and the compression requirements less severe (unless you want to run mad boost!). A centrifugal blower can have pipework adapted to blow the compressed air through a conventional air-air intercooler and then on into the engine. The Eaton / Rootes style mounted on top of the V are a bit more difficult to cool. The Stillen 350Z solution is to incorporate a liquid-air intercooler inside the manifold plenum. The liquid is circulated via a remote pump to a front mounted cooler radiator and then returned chilled to the intercooler. If this type of supercharger is side bracket mounted, then a more conventional intercooler approach can be followed. On my 280ZX (if I ever work on it again), a Sprintex unit is mounted on a bracket which adapts to the L-series engine air-con mount - it draws cold air in through the rear, compresses to a front mounted intercooler and returns to the throttle body at the front of the manifold.

So, in summary, buying the supercharger is the least of your worries - the rest of the installation will be the aggravation! Which is why it is great when someone else has done all the development work on a kit for you! (and also why a kit is an expensive option...)
Old 08-15-2005, 09:26 AM

Excellent post, 81 Black L28E. Definitely got me thinking on a couple tangents.

Oddly enough, everything Mr. F. discussed in the post I've thought of, to some degree, to make this kit work. I have no problem with spending some time and a bit of change for R&D on a kit like this. If I can keep finding rebuilt used blower units, or can find a supply of production models, I could fabricate everything for a kit, test-fit it to my car, and market it as a complete supercharging kit.

By doing all the R&D myself, and not charging anyone for my time [which I have no problem with, it's fun for me!], and finding bargains on quality used parts and materials, I'm confident I can have a fully-functional, complete supercharger kit for CHEAPER than most custom kits. Also, since my neighbor has a metal-working shop in his backyard, fabrication is simple and close-by.

Maybe I should go after this ... but first, to get a job.

-Dave-O