280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

i need to power a small amp

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
eff good grammar

i need to power a small amp

so i am working on the elctrical system getting some of the things figured out and taken care of. i did my best to fix the wiring that circuit city did with the stereo, cleaned it up some but i think later on i may just go in and swap the connector out to a newer nissan connector and just be done with the whole thing.

i have the stereo hooked up it turns on and keeps time now and it shouldnt come on by it self (heatshink is god) but i dont have the speakers hooked up yet.

i little while ago i got a 2 channel speaker amp it pulls a max of 20 amps. the head unit pulls a max of 10 amps and i was wondering if it was possible to power it off the stereo harness 12v.

heres the amp specs:
Pioneer GM-x332
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU.../GM-X332?tab=B
dont worry i only spent $15 on it.

heres the head unit:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/DEH-P3800MP

and speakers (for now):x2
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ries/TS-G1642R
i had to make my own speaker adaptors out of lexan for the speakers to fit in the stock location

Last edited by Niku-Sama; 01-20-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:59 PM

just get some new 12guage wire for the amp. don't try to run off the factory wire. even if it could handle it. the fuses can't. beefing up the fuses will just fry the factory wireing. i promise. it will find a weak link, and go out. 12 guage wire-3.98$ at walmart. 12 feet
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM
eff good grammar

and power it off of..... air?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:52 AM

ima go with the battery for 200$ bob
Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 AM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

any time you power an amp it is best to find the required size wire for running it at max load and then go one step up and always a fuse in line as close to the batt as possible so if you happen to ever draw too much current and your fuse dosent blow (which it should but there are defective ones) you dont fry the 12ft or so of power wire which can get expensive
Old 01-21-2009, 08:31 PM

Bypassing the factory wires all together is way less of a hassle for sure...

The head unit: When I did my head unit in the 280zx I ran my own constant power wire to the cars battery with an inline 10amp fuse 6 inches away from the battery. This is what keeps the memory of the head unit and supplies the needed power for the onboard amplifier (mosfet chip). The switched (usually red) power wire I ran to the fuse box to a circuit that comes on with the ignition. I also ran my own ground wire to a good solid mount under the shifter area. I ran my RCA cables for my amplifiers while the radio was not mounted yet.

NEVER SHARE THE AMPS MAIN POWER WIRE WITH THE HEAD UNITS POWER WIRE!!! For an amp that size you could run a 10awg power wire directly to the battery with an inline fuse the same size as the one in the amp itself...this would be different for multiple amps. You will want to run the amp turn on lead (usually blue or blue with a white stripe, do not confuse this with the power antenna lead which may also be the same color(s)) also while the head unit is not mounted...this turns the amp on with the head unit. Use the same size ground wire as the power wire for the amp and make it as short as you can. Finally I would also run my own new speaker wires.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
eff good grammar

i know how to wire it up i just need another switched source.

the headunit is acting fine, i am using the factory harness for 12v switched and i am using the ciggerette lighter 12v for constant grounded to the chasis right behind the radio on its own ground, -12v from lighter is still its own.

i'm acually pulling less power with this head unit as opposed to the factory one which has a rating of 20A on the stereo it self. i wish my back would get better and i could stick my head down by the fuse box and pop them out to see the rated that are in there incase there were some that were replaced with something else.

but untill then is there any switched un fused source i can use from within the car?

if i can find one i'll figure it out from there but untill then i guess i'll wire up 2 of the factory speaker wires to the harness so i can atleast hear something.