300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

a small NA mod id like to share

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Silvered Hawaiian

a small NA mod id like to share

a little something ive discovered.....

EDIT: THIS IS FOR NA OWNERS WITH AFTERMARKET INTAKES!

when my front bumber was off at the body shop, ive noticed route of the stock intake pipes that didn't go straight to the throttle bodys but lead to a route of piping that went from the filter down to the fenders and back up to the filter, 'like an extra set". what i did was take those extra piping off and pluged the extra route with a rubber cap so the air would just get rammed straight to the throttle bodys.

from what ive learned it could be just resonators

result: better throttle responce, the exhause flutters a lot smoother as if its getting more air intake, and what the hell..10 lbs. off your car.

what you remove minus the Y for where the intake bolts on

where the finger points is where you cap off with the rubber plug where the "U" clamps on

closer pics of what to remove on each side

a little diagram to get technical of what exactly im talking about

Last edited by KENZ; 05-07-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

hmmm....
sounds like i have a project coming up now.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Bad Speller

all the bending and thepiping and the diagram.... i got a headache now. Im goign to sleep.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Fan

Originally Posted by bardabe
all the bending and thepiping and the diagram.... i got a headache now. Im goign to sleep.
Your sig is disturbing.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:57 PM
caught the z fever

hmmm...only if you told me that a week earlier. maybe ill look into it the next time the car is jacked up
Old 05-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Silvered Hawaiian

UPDATE:

RED is the old air path

GREEN is what you trash

YELLOW is where you plug

BLUE is the new air path STRAIGHT TO THE THROTTLE BODIES
Attached Thumbnails a small NA mod id like to share-resize-trash.jpg  
Old 05-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

can all that be removed without removing the fascia?
Old 05-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Silvered Hawaiian

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
can all that be removed without removing the fascia?
no, you gotta take off your front bumper.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:08 PM

Was there any diffence in the sound of the intake? I know the pop charger on mine will give a whoopin sound when i tape the gas...Does this mod make it louder? I LL try the mod out..and then throw it up on the dyno here soon. Once i get my car back from the body shop this week.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:37 AM

wtf is a rubber cap?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:47 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by phrozen209
wtf is a rubber cap?
hmm, i may be mistaken, but i do believe that is a cap of some sort that is made of rubber.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Fan

Originally Posted by entropy31
hmm, i may be mistaken, but i do believe that is a cap of some sort that is made of rubber.
They have those??
Old 05-10-2005, 06:28 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Home Depot sellz 'em in the plumbing department....... in the pvc pipe area I believe.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Silvered Hawaiian

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
Was there any diffence in the sound of the intake? I know the pop charger on mine will give a whoopin sound when i tape the gas...Does this mod make it louder? I LL try the mod out..and then throw it up on the dyno here soon. Once i get my car back from the body shop this week.
yea, i noticed that the intake made a deeper, throaty sound, so i cant say if it was louder.

Last edited by KENZ; 05-16-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Southern Speedster

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
WFLZ -> Give me a call. You come over to my place one weekend and we can both do this! I like it.

What you having done at a body shop? Reattaching the front right suspension on the Turbo?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:12 PM

Hey..Lightspeed! I would love to be able to. But the thing is i believe I am goin on that Tail of The Dragon Run this weekend. If I dont we can try to get something together..and if not. We can shoot for something next weekend.

BTW..I found out something bout that little pipin were all staring at. I talked to Shawn at Z1 since he runs the NA car up there. He said the pipe is present only on 90 to 93 model cars. Supposedly the pipin doesnt exist on the later models. He explained to me that it was like a water trap in case the nose gets submerged...the water drops into the piping rather than hydro locking the motor. And from reading and seeing what KENZ has posted..I ca kinda believe it.

We we'll see though LIGHTSPEED..I m not sure. Do u have a factory service manual for the 96 car? See if u r car has one. But e - mail me when u get a chance so i can get ur number, that way we can meet up
whtfairladyz@aol.com

OH yeah, the reason I had to put my car in the body shop. I was drifting through a buddies neighborhood and hit a man hole cover that is for some un godly reason raised outta the ground about 2". I caught it with the driver side rear tire and tweaked the suspension. I bent a rear toe adjuster and had a tow angle like 3 or degrees if i remember correctly. It ate my tires up bad though.

Another thing..NA test pipes go on tomorrow. You'll hear me way before u see me.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:15 PM

well i guess i stand corrected..KENZ claims his Z is a 95. I guess that will discredit my previous statement bout them only bein on pre-93 year modle cars
Old 05-18-2005, 08:30 AM
Southern Speedster

KENZ - I'm missing something, and since it'll be a couple of weeks before I come up for air, could you explain the routing again? Your marked up diagram seems to indicate that there is a loop that the throttle bodies could be sucking air that did NOT come through the air filter. That would be "sub-optimal"...

What am I missing? On your diagram if you follow the red line from the extreme right hand side, immediatly down through the loop at the bottom (against your red arrow) , it seems to mix right where you have "plug" written in yellow. Is there a check valve somewhere? Also, did you perhaps photograph the piece of hose that connects to the center "Y" piece that connects to the lower loop? Maybe that would clear up the mystery for me.

Either way, this sounds like a very interesting mod. Thanks for the tip.

For what it's worth, it may be part of OBDII on the '96, but I have outside air temp probe in the ductwork shown immediatly behind the passenger side marker light. See https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10648 I've always wondered what impact that has had since I added the POP charger and air is no longer actively drawn over that sensor. Did you see that sensor when you were in there?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Southern Speedster

I did some poking around tonight and it seems that yes, there is an "opportunity" here. I removed the two marker lights, disconnect the lower "U" shaped hosed, plugged it, and reinstalled the markers. Didn't have to remove anything, either.

It seems that the pipes USED to connect below the stock filter, and thus would draw through the filter...connections that were abondonded with the POP charger.

First impressions? Engine seems quieter (?!?) and the pickup is stronger and much smoother. I'd be interested to see what it does on a dyno.

Strikes me that the exhaust smelled of gas. I'm interested in what an ECU reset would do, since more air is now flowing across the AFM. Interested to know if the throttle bodies will stay cleaner now that more air is being filtered.

Last edited by lightspeed; 05-19-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Silvered Hawaiian

GREAT JOB AT FIGURING IT OUT LIGHTSPEED!

yea, thats all there is to it... just plug up the hole and remove those extra pipes.

and yes theyre useless if your putting a cone on cause they used to hook up to the stock air box as a resonator.

and i forgot to ad in to do an ecu reset. i did one after the mod. SORRY! [shrug] LOL

thanks lightspeed for your info!
Old 05-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by lightspeed
I did some poking around tonight and it seems that yes, there is an "opportunity" here. I removed the two marker lights, disconnect the lower "U" shaped hosed, plugged it, and reinstalled the markers. Didn't have to remove anything, either.
so you don't hafta remove the bumper?
Old 05-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Silvered Hawaiian

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
so you don't hafta remove the bumper?
heh, if you can do it without...
Old 05-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

well if it ever stops raining around here, i'll have a look.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:11 PM

Hey guys..i just did KENZ NA mod on my '92 slick top. Heres some stuff for u guys who are lookin at doin this mod. And by the way..you DO NOT have to remover the front bumper.

The only tools you will need is a 10mm socket, rachet, and a 3" and 6" extension.

First of all..u will need to remove the front turn signals and the center nose panel.

LOOKIN IN FROM THE TURN SIGNALS:
You will see two hose clamps one upper towards the headlights. And another goin back towards the airfilter. After you loosen the hose clamps..you will also need to remove the 10mm bolt holding the piping to the frame.

LOOKIN IN FROM THE CENTER PANEL:
You do not have to remove the air flter element. Just work around it! On the river side you'll see (OR FEEL) the piping makin an 90 degree turn upwards towards the headlights. There is another hose clamp there that will need to be removed aswell. It is also here that you face the only real challenge. When you move to the passenger side you will have to work around the A/C condenser. NO biggy though.

You can either slip the two pipes where they are joined or you can finess the piping all as one unit. When I removed the piping I pulled them back through the opening for the turn signal.

I am about to run up to HOME DEPOT and ACE Hardware for the hose plugs..I ll give u guys the pictures and exact hose sizes once I get back.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:54 PM
caught the z fever

i just did it without taking the facia off
if you have an aftermarket facia, you dont even have to take the nosepiece out

i had a bit of trouble finding out how to get the long top hose out, but all i did was pushed it towards the middle until it couldnt go any farther, bent the end of the hose down and pulled it out towards the tire. and it came out pretty easily

i just bought two 1.5 inch rubber caps to fit over the opening. they were a bit big, but once i got them tightened, they were ok.

i took my car for a test drive afterwards. couldnt tell much yet. it was a bit smoother when i let the engine slow the car down, and the intake was louder when i taped the gas

Quick Reply: a small NA mod id like to share