280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

I hate it when that happens

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Doesn't post much...

I hate it when that happens

So, Im on my way to a very important meeting in downtown San Diego this morning, about twenty five miles from home and only maybe 15 miles from my destination, when I see the "fuel" light come on. "Hmmm, I just put in gas 20 minutes ago..." I thought to myself. Then I suddenly realize that ALL of the cluster lights are on. Next, I notice the temp gauge is pegged at the maximum. "Holy shniekeys!" I exclaimed. So I get off at the next exit (not a good part of town) and find a place to pull over. Steam is pouring from under the hood. I open the hood and see that the Alternator belt has broken, knocked the P/S belt off, wrapped it around the fan. So, I call a buddy to come rescue me. He picks me up, I go get new belts. Put the new belts on and fire it up only to realize that now there's A GIANT HOLE IN MY BRAND NEW FRICKIN RADIATOR!!!!!! ARGGGGHHHH!!!!!! NOT a good start to my day... how was everyone elses?

Rod.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:42 PM

WOW that really sucks, Rod. Atleast you were aware enough to see the guages etc in enough time to pull over. Cant imagine if the car had overheated enough to cause some engine damage etc. I guess under the circumstancers you did fare off better then you could have.... Still that sucks.

Couple a months ago, I had a very similar thing happen to me when one of the coolent hoses to the thermostat got a leak. In general I always find myself scanning the guages everynowandthen. This time I was on the highway and same thing as you , I saw that my heat guage was right at max. I pulled over immediately on the shoulder and as I came to a stop the steam started to come out of the hood vents. Towed her home and replaced the hose after a pressure test located the culprit for me.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:07 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey Rod been there and done that. I once had my alternator belt go, and my water pump was not doing it's job, and my temp swept all the way over. And I stopped immediately, and noticed the broken belt. Also I have also put a hole in my radiator when my fan flexed! That really sucked, but it only cost me like $60 to fix. SO it wasn't too bad. Anyway sorry to hear that man, at least no really bad damage happened!
Old 06-28-2005, 07:31 AM

Got That Beat( Stepson )

my stepson had bought a crotch rocket new in 2003. he put it up for sale this year, did'nt have time to ride much ( 391 act miles ). he had a buyer with cash in hand, and was taking it to the man in my truck.
he was about four or five miles from the mans house, one of the tie downs broke and off the back of the truck it went at 60mph. lucky he kept the ins on the bike.
just to add insult to injury, the ohp cited him for improper load.
bj
Old 06-28-2005, 07:27 PM

No compassion. Dude just had his bike fall out of his truck and they're gonna go and write him a ticket. Now thats messed up man. I'll bet next time he puts something like that in the back of a truck he straps it down REAL good