280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

I Failed Emissions "thoughts?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 03:41 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I Failed Emissions "thoughts?"

Well I failed emissions yesterday with my Z. Damn smog *****, but I am not that upset. I am pretty sure I am running too rich, considering my fuel mileage is still low. Last tank full was 16 mpg, so I know I am still off. But not bad considering, I have been mainly guessing the whole time. I am going to my folks this afternoon, and my brother is going to help me time him. I also put some pass emissions stuff in with a full tank, after my failure. Then I will restest Thursday, and then if I fail again. My Z is going to the shop, and get diagnosed on Friday. Because the 24th this Friday is when my 30 day tags expire. And then I don't know what to do after that. Wish me luck, and here are my test results, so all of you can dissect it for me. And maybe give some more helpful hints on passing my Z.

Equipment or pressure inspection results

System ............ Result System Result ...........

Gas cap test .............. Pass Evap Componets Pass

Emission inspection results

Transient Test ............... This vehicles Applicable Result for
Pollutant ............... emissions Standard this pollutant

HydroCarbons (HC) In Grams/Mile ............ 5.35 3.00 Fail

Carbon Monoxide (CO) In Grams/Mile ....... 27.95 25.00 Fail

Oxides of Nitrogen (NOX) In Grams/Mile ....... 3.43 3.50 Pass
Old 03-21-2006, 04:06 AM
Euro Z King

Location: Utrecht The Netherlands where owning a car is a CRIME!!
have you tried to set your AFM to run leaner ? and your timing to retard some more (note if you lean it out TO far it will harm the engine, but just for the smog testing it might help) It is really the AFR that is important. Most engines will make maximum power at an AFR of between 12.0 and 13.5, leaning it out to say 15 is dangerous under continious WOT, but would bring down the pollution in a way.

However first i would check the 02 sensor, then the AFM... you can gain allot from setting the air to fuel mixture..

I also heard reports of using seafoam before going, you might want to try that .. in the oil ( change it before going) intake, and gastank!

Luckely we in holland to have to deal with that ****
Old 03-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Doesn't post much...

Yup, you're definitely running too rich Aaron. It looks like your Cat still works though

You should go through and make sure all the little electrical connectors are clean and corrosion free at the contacts first. That means AFM, Coolant temp sensor... all of them. Adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw is only a measure of last resort. Once you dick with it, it's a PITA to get right again. Plus, you shouldn't have to EVER adjust it. If everything else is working your A/F should be good. Also make sure your EGR is working and all your vacuum lines are routed properly and have no breaks, splits or cracks. It's pretty easy to check for EGR function and that alone can make a HUGE difference.

Rod.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:48 AM
The Good Twin

The big things that kept my n/a from passing, was timing & faulty O2 sensor. If the shop guys are cool, ask them to put it on the observation mode while you adjust the timing & AFM.

I have a buddy at an emissions shop... he can't do an "under the table" pass on my car, but he lets me use his machine to tune it down.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:24 AM

EGR ane Cat definitely look good to me. I dont know at what engine speed those readings are taken at but the mixture screw will only affect your mixture at idle so unless those readings were taken at idle it wont change anything. Take the advice above and change out your o2. That little thing can single handedly throw your car into an emissions failing fit. And when you go back to get your emissions test again keep the car running in the parking lot if the wait isn't too long. A warm engine is going to run a LOT cleaner than a cold one. If the o2 sensor doesn't fix your problem then I'd start looking into things like the AFM as a possiblity. ALWAYS change your o2 sensor and check/adjust your timing before an emissions inspection
Old 03-21-2006, 08:47 PM

just to pass it i would run lean and use this tuff called ( gaureented to pass ) i had to use it on my first car 1986 mercury grand marquis... damn california smog ***** !! lol
Old 03-21-2006, 09:39 PM

An o2 sensor is only like $35.00 at Autozone and timing is free if you have a timing light Besides, if something is wrong enough to make you run rich then it probably warrants fixing right.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:27 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah unfortunately I can't afford a o2 sensor right now. But the one I have has low miles on it.

Well took my Z to my folks, and my brother helped me time him. He was like 20 degress off!(overadvanced) That is why he ran rich, and I also leaned out the fuel/air mixture, and the idle. He is running pretty good, and coming out the pipe is hardly an odor on my hands. So cross your fingers for me, I am going tomorrow back to emissions. If I fail again, I am going to the shop, and get him diagnosed. And then go back hopefully to emissions Friday. (If I have to)

Last edited by WildmaN; 03-22-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:34 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by NismoPick
The big things that kept my n/a from passing, was timing & faulty O2 sensor.

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Well took my Z to my folks, and my brother helped me time him. He was like 20 degress off!(overadvanced) That is why he ran rich
Well I'll be damned!
Old 03-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Big Poppa

o.k time for shdays quick get it through emmsions fix, i do it, cause i got a race motor in my z, unplug #5 injector. the cylinder acts like an air pump, and the car doesnt run that bad if you up the idle a little, combine that with some methal hydrate. and boom you passed. the car will only lack small amounts of power believe it or not. i even did it to a customers stock zx when he couldnt get it through. b.c. canada uses the exact to the gram emmisions program as cali, so trust me and do it, its worth your while.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:32 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I failed again, got close this time. Here are the readings

Hydrocarbons 4.59 limit 3.00 fail
Carbon Monoxide 20.89 limit 25.00 pass
Oxides of Nitrogen 3.36 limit 3.50 pass

So I only failed the hydrocarbons, any thoughts? Anyway I am calling a shop I took my Celica before. And set an appointment tomorrow. I am not wasting money going back and forth. Feel free to post suggestions, and such.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:39 PM
The Good Twin

Did you turn down (mess with) the timing?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:39 PM
The Evil Twin

O2 Sensor!!! You're so close... that's got to be it. Maybe clean those spark plugs too. But don't just clean the spark plugs and go test again. The price of two tests will be what the oxygen sensor costs. Save your pennies.

16mpg is really bad though. Even after you pass with a new O2 sensor, you're probably not going to get more than 17mpg. something else is wrong there... When my FPR was bad and maxing out the fuel pressure I got about 17-19 mpg and the exhaust was noticably thick. It failed horribly... like over 100 on some of those readings.
I get about 22/23 overall with my car now.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:13 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I am pretty sure, I am getting better mileage now. Because he is timed correctly, and leaned out the best I can. I know the o2 sensor is old, but it doesn't have many miles on it. I am probably taking it to Pep Boys tomorrow. And get it diagnosed, I don't want to go back and forth. But man, he is running like a practically a new car. Great acceleration, shifting smooth, and sounds sweet.

And yes saving pennies, is exactly it. I am tight with money right now. I just want my Z to pass, I am sick of this **** sh#t! Anyway had to get that out. Will call them here in a bit, and see if they can look at my Z tomorrow. Thanks for the thoughts, and keep them coming.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:06 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well the appointment is tomorrow, $84.99, for the diagnostic. Not bad, and better than the $112 I was quoted from another shop! Plus it is convenient, that the shop is down the street from my house. Less than a mile or so. So 10am tomorrow morning. Got to crash by 3:30am, and get up at 9:30am, so I can be there at 10. Wish me luck, and thanks again.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:11 PM
The Good Twin

Ouch! 85 bones for a diagnostic.... they gunna include an emissions test w/ that?
Old 04-11-2006, 03:28 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I am pretty sure, because I told them I failed emissions, and need to pass. I even told them about failing the Hydrocarbons. And welcome to Arizona, turning into little California.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:37 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WildmaN
And welcome to Arizona, turning into little California.
Count your blessings.... The HC level here in the Salt Lake Valley is 2.8 ppm of HC.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:53 PM

I am amazed that they make you pay for the test? In Indiana, they require only certain counties to have emissions testing on even or odd years depending on year of car, so my 300zx just passed last year, so I am good till April of 2007. I just took in my wife's 98 Chevy venture, and they dont even hook the tail pipe up to a machine! Since it had the ODBthingy, they checked to see if I had any codes on my van, and then printed me out a pass slip. All of this was free. No smog ****'s around here...
Old 04-11-2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
EGR ane Cat definitely look good to me. I dont know at what engine speed those readings are taken at
i dont know about out where you are at but here in Tx they run it at 15mph then again at 25mph. but i only have to pass saftey check because im emissions exempt with the 79

so i can do whatever i want motor wise as long as all my lights, wipers and brakes are working right
Old 04-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Big Poppa

pull off #5 injector and go through aarron, it acts as an air pump. try it, its how my zed makes it through our emmisions, and they are identical to cali.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:21 PM

Yeah that'll lean you out. Your hydrocarbons are up cause you're running rich. SHADY's right, that'll probably pass you.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Big Poppa

i do it once a year out here. and i do it to my customers z for his aircare. iam the z aircare god
Old 04-12-2006, 01:41 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay a little update for you guys. I took my Z to Pep Boys down the street, and they said my #3 plug was bad. Also I have to give the one's credit on this one. My o2 sensor was bad, and I got a new one. It was $22, that was cool. The tech also said, if I don't pass, I will need a new cat. But I am sure he will pass. By the way, before you all say about the cat. I took my functional one out of my '81. Which was still original.

Now that aside, when I left the parking lot at the shop. I couldn't believe the power, and quickness my Z had! He is running like a new car, and I am stoked! If I am not careful, I could have him sideways. Man what a difference, even though I am broke because of it. No big deal, it was worth it. I am going to emissions tomorrow, wish me luck, and I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all the information, and tips.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
pull off #5 injector and go through aarron, it acts as an air pump. try it, its how my zed makes it through our emmisions, and they are identical to cali.
Well, obviously we don't have emission testing down here in florida but, in regards to your idea I was curious if there is any specific reason why you pull the #5 injector wire, or is that just a random number you picked? Im always looking to learn more so I'd like to "why" to go with the "how"

Quick Reply: I Failed Emissions "thoughts?"