280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

How much money are 280zx worth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:38 PM

How much money are 280zx worth?

I just got offered 5 grand for my car is it even worth that much?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Uh sell it and buy two more lol
Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 PM

I can't! It's my first car but it's probaly smart to huh?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:34 PM

Do you think these cars will go up in value?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Male
Do you think these cars will go up in value?
I wouldn't count on getting more money out of it than you put in for a long time.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:06 PM

Only a brave few go after Zs. Think I can speak for most when I say if you can't turn a wrench or drive a stick well it ain't for you. Sooner or later it will leave ya stranded so can't say its a true daily driver. If it snows one day a year its not going to be your one and only car. They don't have off the shelf auto zone cams, intake manifolds and performance parts. So they are not a ricer. Most people don't collect "Projects" so no big money/mid life crisis followings like the Mustang . So its just us and we low ball the hell outa each other. Only reason I own mine was my father. He loved them. I grew up in our Z and in the end chemo and all that car was his way of getting through. So its staying in the family otherwise I honestly feel they are just going to fade away.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM

Where in Kansas are you?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM

Brass tax. Who pays top dollar on a classic sports car? Men 45-70. What do they buy? Automatic V8s Why? Cause our knees hurt with a clutch. What's the last thing a top paying classic car owner want. Rust and electrical problems. What shows up to shows and events? Mustangs, cameros, Road runners, Mgb's , Corvettes. Sorry to break hearts they will never be mainstream 50,000 classics. 20 grand for original cherry. 5 grand rehab's and 500.00 non restored. What the prices always were and still staying the same. I grew up with them I lost a lot and won a few. They are perfect touring cars or cruisers. Previous owners and "ricer" kiddies are the only people left that even remember the Datsun name. Enjoy Kansas and the BOOMING Z trend. They must be flying out of you local speed shops as we speak. Here you can almost hear them cry rusting in a yard or a 17 yr old spraying walmart flat black. LOL
Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 PM

To settle the matter. 1980 Trans am formula project car 3500.00 Tell me who would buy. A 3500.00 z that needs restored?? Dents no paint. Interior ruined and a smokey engine. Would any of you drop that much on a Z? Or a 70s /80s Domestic? "Sourced from Classic Auto Trader"
Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 PM

Your right unfortunately and I'm probaly going to regrate this eather way if I sell or not sell it and Wichita
Old 06-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Low N Slow I disagree.

1. My first car was an 1981 280ZX GL. Never left me stranded in 8 years. Replaced the tires twice, brake pads, e-brake cable. Never owed me a thing...

2. Muscle cars are gonna go bye bye and the collectors thereof. Since the '80s the cars teens have been into have been the Japanese sports cars and it really took off in the '90s. In 20 years all the Mustang and Camaro collectors will be dead or at least senile or spending all their extra money on ******. Then all the teens of the 80's and 90's will want to buy up the JDM stuff, etc. A classic cherry 240Z goes for around $20K not far from a similar condition classic muscle car unless it's some one of. The writing is on the wall. On that note - first $1,000,000 Japanese classic sports car - my prediction - the Skyline C10.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
On that note - first $1,000,000 Japanese classic sports car - my prediction - the Skyline C10.
Better grab that one to be your tenth eh?
Old 06-22-2012, 05:40 AM

Thats where I'm at.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 AM

Yea but what I'm seeing is People dig them out hammer them for a year or two. Then they get crushed so the numbers will drop like a hammer. With the JDM generation in there mid 20s they will kill them off one blown engine and smash up at a time. I was in high school when our dads passed down the Zs and the numbers have dropped badly ever since.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:47 AM

Keep your car, yea its 5 grand. But the one thing the Z can do is leave you with a million memories and that's what its about. People that never seen or rode in a Z wount go paying High dollar for resto projects. Any more anything that is not showroom is considered "resto" and avg z "resto price" is 2500.00 . First burn out 1983 MY Z had 2200 miles on it. Jamming to golden earing ,"Twlight Zone" Dad laid it down filled the car up we couldnt see. You can pay me 20 grand. To me that car is priceless.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:19 PM

I know what you mean and aren't they wanted in the middle east? Because I've notice many are imported there and I doubt my car is worth 5 grant it has like 260,000 miles on it so I'm hoping the engine dosent **** on me any time soon and it was sitting for 10 years so I'm gessing these things are super reliable ?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Male
I know what you mean and aren't they wanted in the middle east? Because I've notice many are imported there and I doubt my car is worth 5 grant it has like 260,000 miles on it so I'm hoping the engine dosent **** on me any time soon and it was sitting for 10 years so I'm gessing these things are super reliable ?
Engine wise, if you take care of it they are extremely reliable. Its all of the little things and the electrics that go wrong.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:20 PM

Well that's good and if it dose Because I don't know how well the previous owners took care of it how much do engine rebuilds coast for the l28e?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 PM

Rebuilds are based on how badly you wreck them. I'm a service manager for a Toyota dealership. A general tear down rebuild on any straight six is right around 1500. Where cost rockets off is say you spun a bearing on the crank. It will have to be ground or replaced. One thing with Zs is the head gaskets and heads in general. They are prone to failing and the head warps and cracks and you s.o.l. My word of wisdom find a cheap running engine and hold on save your pennies and rebuild that one. So if yours has a nasty ending you can throw that block away and you have a brand new engine ready to go in. They are like Honda's but we all die sometime. Keep a ear on her noises. They will tell ya what they need before they die.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:32 PM

thanks!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by Low_N_Slow
Rebuilds are based on how badly you wreck them. I'm a service manager for a Toyota dealership. A general tear down rebuild on any straight six is right around 1500. Where cost rockets off is say you spun a bearing on the crank. It will have to be ground or replaced. One thing with Zs is the head gaskets and heads in general. They are prone to failing and the head warps and cracks and you s.o.l. My word of wisdom find a cheap running engine and hold on save your pennies and rebuild that one. So if yours has a nasty ending you can throw that block away and you have a brand new engine ready to go in. They are like Honda's but we all die sometime. Keep a ear on her noises. They will tell ya what they need before they die.
They do blow gaskets under high boost and the heads to warp but they don't usually crack...
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
Muscle cars are gonna go bye bye and the collectors thereof. Since the '80s the cars teens have been into have been the Japanese sports cars and it really took off in the '90s. In 20 years all the Mustang and Camaro collectors will be dead or at least senile or spending all their extra money on ******. Then all the teens of the 80's and 90's will want to buy up the JDM stuff, etc. A classic cherry 240Z goes for around $20K not far from a similar condition classic muscle car unless it's some one of. The writing is on the wall. On that note - first $1,000,000 Japanese classic sports car - my prediction - the Skyline C10.
I doubt muscle cars will ever go bye bye. I have owned many many Japanese cars over my time on this planet, and there are many Japanese cars that I love and could imagine getting as collectible and desirable as some of the old muscle cars, but that doesn't mean I don't still want American muscle. Let's face it, as awesome as they are the only reason I ever even got into Japanese cars was because they were cheap and there's no way in hell I could afford a muscle car that wasn't completely wasted. Now I am glad that I have come across cars like the Z and the Supra and I think the people who grew up with these cars will hold a place for them in their heart but that doesn't mean that people have just stoped liking muscle cars. I don't think that the muscle car fans will all just simply die off. I know of many young people that still love them, so it's not all just old dudes. I like both. In my dream garage there are Japanese AND American cars. I think most people can appreciate both and will continue to do so for as long as those cars are on this planet.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 PM

Yeah I'm jdm person and some one offered me 2 grand today at work and he was middle eastern to he said he had 10 back in his home contry and on here so he wanted to stalk up lol
Old 07-12-2012, 04:45 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Switchtr3
I doubt muscle cars will ever go bye bye. I have owned many many Japanese cars over my time on this planet, and there are many Japanese cars that I love and could imagine getting as collectible and desirable as some of the old muscle cars, but that doesn't mean I don't still want American muscle. Let's face it, as awesome as they are the only reason I ever even got into Japanese cars was because they were cheap and there's no way in hell I could afford a muscle car that wasn't completely wasted. Now I am glad that I have come across cars like the Z and the Supra and I think the people who grew up with these cars will hold a place for them in their heart but that doesn't mean that people have just stoped liking muscle cars. I don't think that the muscle car fans will all just simply die off. I know of many young people that still love them, so it's not all just old dudes. I like both. In my dream garage there are Japanese AND American cars. I think most people can appreciate both and will continue to do so for as long as those cars are on this planet.
Well put. One of the main reasons I love my Firebird. There is nothing in the world like the sound of a roaring V8. Don't get me wrong. There is also nothing like the sound of a straight six L28. They both are unique and great in their own way. Hence why I own muscle and imports. And wouldn't get rid of either of them.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:58 PM

rather than starting a new threat, I figured I'd just hijack this one, as it relates to the value of Zs.

Currently, I have a 81 280zx 2+2 N/A, and I've always wanted to do the turbo swap. Recently a running turbo (coupe) went for sale in my area for $600. He says that it stalls out at lower RPMs and it has about 161k miles vs. my current motor with 93k miles. Is it still worth the swap given the issues with the idle and higher mileage?

Quick Reply: How much money are 280zx worth?