280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

How do you know the Head Gasket is gone

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:25 AM

How do you know the Head Gasket is gone

Well my car will not stay running when at idle, i can give it gas and keep RPMS up and it runs, let it come back to idle and it bogs down. i checked my oil 2 weeks ago when i filled it up and it was good, i checked it now and very low. the car does not leak oil normally, but then i noticed some spray in the front cooling hose for the tranny. it is wet behind the belts some. i guessing i burnt up the oil or it is leaking internally, what can i do or check?

i plan on adding oul this weekend and giving it a shot.

83zx NA
Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 AM
Über User

really? you seem like you've ownd quite a bit of nice cars and your not sure you to determine if you blew a HG? i dont believe you. but anyways, compression test and leakdown tests reveal alot as well as checking for oil and coolant mixing together.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:45 AM

Seriously? drain the oil and coolant, if there is any of one in the other..you blew it. Get a copper head gasket if you have to replace it, and if you can afford it, get the head milled a bit, increase your compression by a hair.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:11 PM

I never had one go, all the Turbo cars i had i replaced that crap shortly after i got them, the guy said he just replaced all this before i got the car so i did not look into it yet. funds are killing me now with Christmas coming. so does this maybe sound like the oil pump then?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:29 PM
The Good Twin

Your posts aren't very clear or descriptive at all. Please elaborate so we don't have to guess for you.

Originally Posted by gostlrs
Well my car will not stay running when at idle, i can give it gas and keep RPMS up and it runs, let it come back to idle and it bogs down.
So far that doesn't sound like a head gasket. Have you checked the AFM, CHTS, timing, Air Regulator, TPS?

i checked my oil 2 weeks ago when i filled it up and it was good, i checked it now and very low.
Maybe it burns oil? Does it ever blow colored exhaust?

the car does not leak oil normally, but then i noticed some spray in the front cooling hose for the tranny. it is wet behind the belts some. i guessing i burnt up the oil or it is leaking internally
Spray? Wet? What kind of liquid? Oil? Coolant? What color?

what can i do or check?
As stated, do a compression check.

so does this maybe sound like the oil pump then?
Huh? What's your oil pressure at?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:11 PM

no color exhaust, it was an oil spray from the fron of the block, i will have to try a compression test
Old 11-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

lol i was behind a honda today with a blown head gasket i went to pass him(so i didnt die from smoke inhilation) then he drops down a gear and tries to race me... i just kept driving past him he might should have saved the money he spent on a rice cannon and his full "JDM" body kit for a rebuild, or a new car...

any way the compression should be i think 70 psi but go by what nismo says when he corrects me....

if the compressions are mixed matched then its time to adjust the valves(like i need to do) but if you have lost the gasket in a cylinder you should notice a pretty large loss
Old 11-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Über User

take a picture of what you mean by spray, im guessing its just a bad gasket like timing cover or valve cover etc, its really hard to blow a head gasket without running crazy boost or crazy high comp pistons or heavily overheating the engine so the head warps.

70 psi!?!?!?!!?!?!? BUWHAHAHAHAHA NOOB!!!!! more like 170psi HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA i want to hurt you right now
Old 11-13-2008, 01:25 PM
The Good Twin

Good jeez it's like pulling teeth to get anywhere on this thread. PLEASE ANSWER ALL MY QUESTIONS. k thx bai.

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Have you checked the AFM, CHTS, timing, Air Regulator, TPS?

Huh? What's your oil pressure at?

Also, like Snw just mentioned: HAVE YOU (or anyone) EVER OVERHEATED THE MOTOR?

EDIT... no comment on 2x4's weak try at a compression number.

Last edited by NismoPick; 11-13-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
take a picture of what you mean by spray, im guessing its just a bad gasket like timing cover or valve cover etc, its really hard to blow a head gasket without running crazy boost or crazy high comp pistons or heavily overheating the engine so the head warps.

70 psi!?!?!?!!?!?!? BUWHAHAHAHAHA NOOB!!!!! more like 170psi HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA i want to hurt you right now
TYPO!!!!!!!!!!! and i have been doing this for longer than 2 WHOLE years WHOS THE NOOB NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! oh yeah still me
Old 11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Über User

typo my *** you left out a number, not like its a letter something fingers are trained for you have to search for the numbers. you didnt miss it you just didnt know lol. and 2 years aint long but honestly, i dont know of ANY motor where 70 psi would be accurate so thats kinda where you loose on that buy of an excuse. if you said 200 or 140 or anywhere in between i could give leniency go no sorry sweet heart a little off. but 70 is redic. and nismo presented good questions i also will await those answered and also what i asked those added together should give us a good hint to what might be up or helpful suggestions. yeah your first post was just lacking details and coherency
Old 11-14-2008, 12:15 AM

i have not had time to check any thing. all i know is there is no oil in it, only leak that i noticed in coming from behind the fan. i will try to add oil this weekend and see if it still runs at idle if not i have those parts laying around.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
typo my *** you left out a number, not like its a letter something fingers are trained for you have to search for the numbers. you didnt miss it you just didnt know lol. and 2 years aint long(and i dont understand sarcasm) but honestly, i dont know of ANY motor where 70 psi would be accurate so thats kinda where you loose on that buy of an excuse. if you said 200 or 140 or anywhere in between i could give leniency go no sorry sweet heart a little off. but 70 is redic.
dude i have to look at the key board when i type thats why im always mis-pelling crap...for some reason i can't type like normal people, i suck...

and why do you think i would pic 70? just a random guess? NO I JUST DID A COMPRESSION CHECK ON MY CAR AND HAD TO LOOK UP THE PSI's!!! if i didnt know the psi wouldnt i just say like 120 or 130 or 140 or 150 or 160 or 180 but i knew the accurate psi... i guess it was just a coincidence

dam i hate explaining **** to you

Last edited by 280zx2by2; 11-14-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Über User

explaining is different from excuses, its ok to admit to FAIL! BUWAHAHAHA FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Externally Wastegated

If your HG is gone, you'll know. The water reservoir will constantly deplete, and you'll smell the coolant burning. I think you might just have a major vacuum leak. Check all your hoses. As for the oil thing, what kinda shape is your valve cover in? That's where most leaks start if it's flinging oil onto your belts.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Über User

exactly what im thinking brosef ^^^^ except if its by the fan it might even be not oil and the water pump seal that or the timing cover seal even the main seal if i could just be flinging up. but you would notice the drips in front if it was the main seal
Old 11-15-2008, 03:08 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I will bet...that your oil leak would be your front seal. I have to put in a quart of oil every 2-3 days. I just don't have enough time to put my car down. So I can fix the front seal. Anyway a front seal isn't much. Just will take some time and work to change.

As for your idling and running problem. I would look to all your sensors for starters. (like mentioned already) Also you should be averaging 170 psi to a cylinder. That is my average on a high mileage engine. As for oil pressure at idle. It should read 50 psi or so. When you are traveling at highway speeds. It should read 60 psi or more.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:18 AM

well i put oil in it today...i am getting white smoke and oil sputtering out of the tail pipe...

Anyone in Phoenix area like to come over and give me a hand ripping into it? If i have time this weekend i will run to autozone and get the compression tester to see what i got there..

the guy who had it before i know did some shady **** on it to get it running. i was hoping it would make it a bit longer,
Old 11-15-2008, 03:29 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

well i put oil in it today...i am getting white smoke and oil sputtering out of the tail pipe...

Anyone in Phoenix area like to come over and give me a hand ripping into it? If i have time this weekend i will run to autozone and get the compression tester to see what i got there..

the guy who had it before i know did some shady **** on it to get it running. i was hoping it would make it a bit longer,
I would...but I am taking my Z apart later today. I need to get my blower motor working again. So I can get my heater working. It can get pretty nippy at night..here in the desert. I tried to find the thread where it talked about where the relay is. But to no avail. So if somebody could point me..or tell me where to find the relay for the blower fan. That would be greatly appreciated.

Oh...white smoke doesn't sound good man. Are you shooting water out of your overflow container..when you rev the engine? And how does the oil look on the dipstick? Is it milky? If you have one of more of these symptoms. You have a bad head gasket or head. I have been there and done that.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:39 AM

kinda hard to check that crap when its only u..LOL..but i got the blower motor if u need one.. i removed my heater..i got another plan for heat when i get the car running again..LOL..i just need someone smart on the car to help me a bit. i know the RB motor and VG pretty good since i owned them..kinda lost on this one for now..i need to get my nose in the books
Old 11-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

this motor is pretty basic, shouldn't be much trouble

well be your back up guy whos smart on the car....
Old 11-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Über User

get a haynes and or FSM you can walk yourself through ripping out the head. it takes time though you need to remove alot of crap. also wildman, CHANGE THE FRONT SEAL! your going to cause harm if you just ignore it longer. its not putting the car down it takes like an hour to do it and only that long because the harmonic balancer is tough to budge loose after all those years it sat on their undisturbed. maybe yours will come free faster since oil has been leaking on it for so long its honestly loosening the belts slipping them off taking the one big *** harmonic balancer bolt off pound the balancer off with a 2by4 and a hammer from behind it, with a screwdriver pop the old seal out greas the new one pop it in evenly with your hands so its flush with the timing cover put back together, it takes no time at all.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:42 PM
eff good grammar

should the oil only be at 50 idle and 60 running?

yeesh mabe i should start using a lighter weight oil, my rings might not be dont after all
Old 11-15-2008, 06:29 PM
NisTuner

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
yeesh mabe i should start using a lighter weight oil, my rings might not be dont after all

What!?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:04 PM

wildman we should get together and take care of these problems

i may do a manual swap when i break into mine, i might be picking up a car this week for parts

Quick Reply: How do you know the Head Gasket is gone