280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

A horibble day

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 PM

A horibble day

EDIT: Might as well make this a build thread if that's cool.

Today was kind of bad. This weekend I decided I would finally revive my 79. Fortunately all it really needed was a new clutch slave cylinder (pretty simple fix), a battery charge, and a good clean up from the mice and other critters that decided to take up residence in the car's neglect.

I have been at college with a newer car and my dad never drives the 280 because most of the time he is out of the country or driving his 370Z. So I got the car up running great I took it for a couple drives and remembered just how much I love that car. So yesterday I decided to do a little more work on it. Namely flushing and bleeding the brake system and painting the rear calipers red while I had the wheels off (I did the fronts some time ago).

This morning I decided before putting it all back together I would also change the oil. The car hadn't reached the deadline but I believe it has been about a year or so since the last oil change. I'm semi glad I did. The synthetic oil was pitch black and the crush washer on the drain plug was coroding to to the point there was a break in the washer. Now comes the crappy part. The damn oil filter!!! The shop who last changed the oil must have the fraking hulk tightening the damn things. I tried absolutely everything from filter wrenches, leather belts, punching through a screwdriver to try to turn it (which just ended up tearing the filter around). Eventually I attempted punching a crowbar through the filter with the help of a sledgehammer which had the same effect as the screwdriver when turned. At the end of this all out attack I was left basically with what you see below (this photo is of another person with this problem on their car but it looks exactly the same. I promise I was turning the filter the right way- counterclockwise. I have no idea how the hell I am going to get it off. Has anybody else had a similar situation? My next option would be to call up my mechanic and see if he can help me out. Maybe an acetylene torch could melt it off haha. Thanks!

Name:  DSCI0283.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  84.9 KB

Last edited by mayhem052; 05-01-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

make a spanner wrench to fit on two of the holes on the part that's left and twist it off.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 PM
The Good Twin

Do you have a pneumatic chisel? Just hit it a couple times in the loosen direction, and it should back it off.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Wow I have never even heard of a spanner wrench before but it looks like that might just work ! I'll pick one up next weekend when I get back home! For now I'm just taking up all of my parent's garage space and my mom isn't too happy about it. And no unfortunately I don't have any pneumatic tools. I've really been wanting some recently though; too bad Christmas is so far away now haha. Every time I encounter a sticky bolt I just think to myself how life would be so much easier with an impact wrench.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:47 PM

So I've decided to make this my build thread for my 79. Lots of new stuff happening with it and I'm really excited to get to seriously working on it after this finals week . So if anybody cares heres a brief recent service history of all the things that I've done and had done over the course of my drivership. By the way I did get that pesky oil filter off all it took was a good PB blasting and some curved end needle nose pliers.

Here she is! (She looks a bit better than reality in this picture )
Name:  IMG_0432.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  175.7 KB

I'll get more and better pics soon.

Recent Service History 280ZX
121,000---Exhaust installed
ABS Performance Bartlesville
Fall 2009
MSA Performance Exhaust
Total cost: $236
Part: $149
Labor: $87
122,000--Self mini service
A. Spark Plugs, plug wires, dizzy cap, rotor, coil, air filter, radiator cap.
123,264--Clutch, front brakes, Windshield Washer, Radiator Flush.
Precision Performance- Don Gillam- Bartlesville
3-3-10
Clutch kit, pressure plate, throwout bearing, brake pads, washer pump, hoses
Total cost: $805.90
Parts: $295.90
Labor: $510
124,092--Lower ball joints, Strut rod bushings, Alignment.
Truitt’s Brake, Alignment & Tire Center Bartlesville
6-8-10
Lower ball joints, strut rod bushings
Total cost: $528.48 w/ tax & Haz mat?
Parts: $191.36
Labor: $310
126,500-- Self service Mobil 1 oil & filter change, Brake system flush and bleed, Clutch slave cylinder replaced, Radiator flush, Blue Devil head gasket repair treatment.
127,000-- Self work-- Ebay CAI Intake install, Seat swap from parts car, plastics swap, beginning rust treatment, beginning power steering rack and pinion swap, beginning power window swap. Found water leaking in from taillights. Coolant was leaking but seems to have fixed itself.

FUTURE PLANS
Full Tokico HP Shock and lowering spring kit -HPK255 http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=TOKHP01
Energy Suspension Urethane Bushing kit- PackageDeal028 http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...PackageDeal028
High heat paint Exhaust
Body work- Lots of rust
Front and rear strut tower braces
Possible engine swap from parts car- 90K 82 N/A N54

As you can tell a lot of this stuff wasn't done by me mostly because this is really the first car I've ever really worked on and some jobs were way above my expertise at the time. Since then my mechanical skills continue to grow all thanks to this car. I recently got an 82 parts car with a bunch of quality parts for me to swap and tinker around with over the summer. I can't wait, and it has certainly been a good learning experience and labor of love. Thank you very much to the community here for helping me out with all my S130 needs!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

The Energy Suspension kit is a pretty good deal depending on shipping. Northern Auto Parts is pretty comperable as well. You don't want to run the 7.7102 strut rod bushings (TC rod) as you need to have some give or the TC rods can break. If you can't get the package deal without the TC bushings northernautoparts.com might be a better way to go.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:36 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by mayhem052
Here she is! (She looks a bit better than reality in this picture )
You sir, you shall hang with me. Not very many active Oklahoma Datsun drivers here, Tulsa represent!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 PM

Definitely! I really need to come to one of those OKZC meetings this summer; I've wanted to come in the past but it was never good timing. I'm in Stillwater at OSU right now though. After finals are over this week I'm coming right home to my 280s!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

NismOKC meets at the Fuddruckers every month or so at 71st and hwy 169, Nissans always welcome
Old 06-06-2011, 08:24 AM

UPDATE

New Parts - ordered
-- Urethane Performance Steering Coupler, 70-81 Z/ZX Manual Steering- $14
Energy Suspension polyurethane full Nissan / Datsun 280ZX 79-83 Bushings Pack
 Red Front Sway Bar Bushings : 22mm - 7.5111- $101
Rebuilt Steering Rack- $295-$45 core
Duralast Tierod ends- $25x2
Hopefully this will all be here by the end of the week

FUTURE PLANS
Full Tokico HP Shock and lowering spring kit -HPK255 http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...san-280ZX-1979 -Next order- $416 - Anybody find a place cheaper w/ shipping price included?
E̶n̶e̶r̶g̶y̶ ̶S̶u̶s̶p̶e̶n̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶U̶r̶e̶t̶h̶a̶n̶e̶ ̶B̶u̶s̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶k̶i̶t̶-̶ ̶P̶a̶c̶k̶a̶g̶e̶D̶e̶a̶l̶0̶2̶8̶ ̶[̶u̶r̶l̶]̶h̶t̶t̶p̶:̶/̶/̶w̶w̶w̶.̶e̶n̶e̶r̶g̶y̶s̶u̶s̶p̶e̶n̶s̶i̶o̶n̶p̶a̶r̶t̶s ̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶p̶r̶o̶d̶d̶e̶t̶a̶i̶l̶.̶a̶s̶p̶?̶p̶r̶o̶d̶=̶P̶a̶c̶k̶a ̶g̶e̶D̶e̶a̶l̶0̶2̶8̶[̶/̶u̶r̶l̶]̶
H̶i̶g̶h̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶n̶t̶ ̶E̶x̶h̶a̶u̶s̶t̶
Body work- Lots of rust- about half way through beginning stages
Front and rear strut tower braces- possibly next order
Possible engine swap from parts car- 90K 82 N/A N54 - anybody know a good rebuilder/machinist in the Tulsa/Bartlesville Oklahoma area?

I will get pics of all my goodies when they arrive! So excited!

Last edited by mayhem052; 06-06-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

http://www.eracingworks.com/Tokico-H...X-p-45278.html

http://www.rsaperformance.com/tokico...-83-280zx.html
Old 06-09-2011, 08:03 AM

ooh apparently they lowered the shipping cost on eracingworks because it used to be more. Thanks FricFrac!
I got my ebay steering rack today btw! The thing looks good should get it all hooked up today.