280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Hey everyone - new here

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 AM

Hey everyone - new here

Just got this 1980 280ZX (automatic, 2seater) on craigslist a couple months ago in pretty clean condition and it's amazing so far - so fun to drive!

Everything seems great mechanically and aesthetically just a little bit of rust around the front windshield and in the spare compartment.

I do have a couple issues that I've asked mechanics and looked around about but can't figure out. The first is that at the exact speeds of 67-70mph, there is a small hissing from the engine compartment I believe, although it's definitely in the front of the car. I'm not really too much of a car guy (yet) but it can't be a vacuum leak if it only occurs at this particular speed right? I drive at 65 and 75 with absolutely no problem but when I accel/decel into the range of 67-70 and I hear this a metallic hissing kind of like air coming out of a balloon. I hope this isn't a big issue :/

Also, my gas mileage is around 16mpg. I read in some other topic that that's pretty low and was wondering if there's anything I can really do to improve gas mileage without spending too much. I mean I spend too much on gas already and prices are only going up Maybe the 2nd issue is due to the first?

I was also wondering what this back center panel is. I've been looking around online and have seem a couple but can't find out if this a standard or some edition. And it kind of looks like it might light up - anyone know if it does?

Sorry for all the questions already, I really wouldn't ask if I could find the answers
Old 05-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Well NismoPick must be sick because he's usually the first to greet newcomers so in lieu of the official NismoPick greeting let me be the first to say welcome to one of the best S130 forums on the 'Net!

Hmm hissing sound is a bit odd and only at those speeds.... a bit of a mystery without actually hearing it. Does the car drive differently when you hear the sound, eg shake, shudder, loss of power, etc?

As for your fuel mileage start with the basic tune up air filter, plugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor. You should get in the mid to high 20's on the highway....

Last edited by FricFrac; 05-01-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:00 PM

Welcome to the site! Nice Z. Not sure about that back panel My parts car has something similar I don't know if they were weird options or what. That looks kind of homemade though.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Thanks guys. This forum is pretty awesome. I feel like I bought into a community haha.

And yeah it probably is custom actually. I thought that this was the same center panel but I guess I was in the dark at the time lol

https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31888

Are there really a lot of custom panels like that? Seems kind of strange
Old 05-01-2011, 04:56 PM

Hey, I'm new here too but worked with Honda's before.

Gas mileage should be fixed by a basic tuneup, just like it was already said.
Check your air filter.

Hissing noise, could be something rubbing on the tires or another rotating part.
Imagine like a flap of plastic that would bend down due to the wind at speed and touching a tire or belt or etc. Check for loose things around the wheel wells and belts.
It's not a vacuum leak.

The back panel, I have seen those around. I don't think it lights up.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:45 PM

welcome! I have never seen a 280zx panel like that one, must be custom made.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

The back panel lights up, I think yours is home made.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:51 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by FricFrac
Well NismoPick must be sick because he's usually the first to greet newcomers so in lieu of the official NismoPick greeting let me be the first to say welcome to one of the best S130 forums on the 'Net!
Yes yes... had to get my Sunday nap in. Glad you got the welcome covered.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by evandubya
The back panel lights up, I think yours is home made.
Yep! I unbolted the back center panel and found this

It's a bad picture but its a ballast and fluorescent tube. I'm so glad I found this! When I get the tube replaced I'll up some pics.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Yes yes... had to get my Sunday nap in. Glad you got the welcome covered.
Lol - well I figure I've got about 16,000 posts worth of catch up to do....
Old 05-02-2011, 01:40 PM

It does seem to be a good community.

I'm still in the process of acquiring mine. It'll be my 2nd project car, but one that my wife has no input on (unlike 'her' 65 mustang that I've restored). Can't complain, it's practically free. Just gotta get an engine and transmission in it. Hopefully by June I'll be making a trip to pick it up. Already been out to see it and haul some engines back to rebuild for a both projects. Rust free, just needs some TLC though I did promise the wife I wouldn't spend much time on it until I got the 65 completely done.

I'm still debating which way I'm going on the engine.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by Cobrasix
It does seem to be a good community.

I'm still in the process of acquiring mine. It'll be my 2nd project car, but one that my wife has no input on (unlike 'her' 65 mustang that I've restored). Can't complain, it's practically free. Just gotta get an engine and transmission in it. Hopefully by June I'll be making a trip to pick it up. Already been out to see it and haul some engines back to rebuild for a both projects. Rust free, just needs some TLC though I did promise the wife I wouldn't spend much time on it until I got the 65 completely done.

I'm still debating which way I'm going on the engine.
What year? Were you thinking straight six or a hybrid swap?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:37 AM

Honestly, haven't decided yet. Trying to keep in mind my intended goals for the car, which is to be a decent looking, track day car. Not competitive racing, just fun days at the track. I was originally looking at picking up a 65-66 mustang coupe for that job, but by the time I got a good rolling shell together, upgraded it to be safe on the track, I was looking at a minimum of $10k. Then a friend dropped the 1982 280ZX literally on my lap. In the end, it'll cost me about $500 of gas and other swaps to get it to my garage.

I'm toying with four possible engines. Two of which I have, which make them attractive. the car comes with 2 L28s (N42 & F54 blocks) with a P79 and N42 for heads. However, if I put the L28 in, it'll receive a turbo swap. The guy is giving me a turbo manifold and actually everything needed for the turbo swap as well. Just figured I might as well source a P90 head.

The other option (which is in my garage right now, getting rebuilt) is the one you see in the pictures. It's a Ford of Australia creation. It's a 4.1L I6. Now ford made a 4.1L for the US market, but it is a log head with a 1V carb. The beast in that picture is a MPFI, crossflow alloy head, with a stock BHP (rated, not gross) of 180HP. It has options for a variable runner length intake manifold as well (from the 4.0L down in australia). Its almost identical in dimensions to the L28, and is about the same weight. It will also made for a T5 transmission, so that won't be an issue. Problem is finding a rear sump oil pan. But, it's a torquey little engine. If that goes in there, it'll get a turbo as well. We did a lot of preliminary mock ups and measurements, and it would be a nice fit. Plus, I love the look of the engine. It's beautiful IMO. The height in the last picture is due to the engine sitting on the oil pan on the crossmember.

I thought about putting this engine into my current 65 mustang, but I'm in the process of building a SEFI system for it (it also has a unique australian head and intake manifold but on a US 3.3L block) and don't really want to scrap that project at this stage due to a number of reasons.

Both of those would be driven by MS3x (for SEFI and Coil on Plug).

But while I was looking at the 4.1L swap, I figured if I was going through the work, I might as well just shoehorn an LS1 in there. The thought of a 5.0 also crossed my mind.

However, I love inline engines. So I'm back to thinking about the 2.8 and the 4.1. I just have to inquire to Australia about rear sump oil pans (which they have). This engine is one of the holy grails for the ford inline enthusiasts here in the states. I also got this engine for free.

So, keeping in mind my budget weekend track fun car, leaning heavily towards the two inlines.
Attached Thumbnails Hey everyone - new here-p7200107.jpg   Hey everyone - new here-p7200081.jpg   Hey everyone - new here-p7200075.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Sounds like you're a prime candiated for the L28ET then. The 4.1 is giving you the same HP as the stock L28ET which is doable for about 300 rwhp with the stock bottom end especially if you are already looking down the MSIII path. It's a simple swap - it was built to go into the car and support and other resources are plentiful.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:01 PM

Yeah, I've started looking for a L28ET. If I put the 4.1 in, I'd put some forced air in it. But then I'm at the limits of other parts of the car, particularly the rear end. I also don't know that I need more than 300 RWHP.

But that honestly is still a few years off. Hope to have the car at my house by the end of June. But, I still have some work on my 65 to finish first. Namely, I'm building a custom hydraulic clutch set up so I can add power brakes. I went the last 10 years without power brakes but I'm starting to get lazy and want less pedal effort. And, I'm building a custom EFI system for the same engine. If I'm lucky, that'll be done by the end of the year and I'll be able to start on the Datsun. First will be to clean out the engine bay and paint it up. Then I'm going to basically strip it all down and respray it to a dark graphite color and start building up the suspension. My plan is for a weekend track car (not competition, just for fun) that looks decent enough to be seen in.

Basically, i've learned from my last two restorations. For this one, I'm developing a defined goal for the car and working on a plan to get there. The last two mustangs I've done have been done peace meal along the way. While that's fun, shifting goals means you end up doing work 2-3 times, and replacing parts 2-3 times. For example, this 65 vert, I'm on my 3rd head/intake combination with a 4th being built by me right now and with a potential 5th head/engine combination sitting in the garage. While fun, I want this car done. It is completely drivable right now but not to my liking. Then, once I get it done I need to yank it all apart and do some cosmetics in the engine bay.

This time I'm making it more informed, so I'm lurking the hell of the Z forums trying to see what the options are for appearance and performance. I've made my goal for a 300 RWHP weekend track and fun car that looks nice going down the road. I'm also going to tear the car apart to parade rest and put it all back together properly, trimming excess where I can, and improving in other spots.

Last edited by Cobrasix; 05-03-2011 at 07:55 PM.