280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Help.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:34 AM

Help.

I've decided to take my spoiler off of my rear hatch and sell it (I'm out of my gay *** teen phaze and I think I need to go to confession for putting a spoiler on a Z )

So I need to plug the 4 holes? (with what) sand it, primer, and paint the WHOLE hatch? correct my if I'm wrong. I want to make sure I do this right and make it look nice.

Any comments/help is welcome.

thanks guys
KD1
Old 09-28-2008, 09:11 AM
The Good Twin

First, some pics would help. Kinda hard to help you if we can't see what it looks like.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Pr0n Addict

there are several different levels of perfection that you could shoot for.

1. spot paint the offended areas
2. paint the whole hatch
3. paint the whole car

9 times out of ten, if you paint that hatch, it still won't match the rest of the car, because that paint has faded and doesn't quite have the shine that it used to. so when you paint the hatch, unless your paint job is very new, you will be able to see it if you are paying close attention.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Über User

depends ALOT on how big the holes are, you might be able to just fill it otherwise you might need some welding to patch the holes. then sand and primer and its best to paint the whole hatch but if your REALLY good with paint and can blend/mesh them you can get away with just painting the primered spots.... also to get the paint tone's matched (cause a paint code simply isnt good enough) you need to find an auto paint shop that mixes their own paint bring in a piece of the car with you thats painted so they can use toner to match the shade of it thanks to the varying tones that come from different assembly plants and the fading over the years.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
depends ALOT on how big the holes are, you might be able to just fill it otherwise you might need some welding to patch the holes. then sand and primer and its best to paint the whole hatch but if your REALLY good with paint and can blend/mesh them you can get away with just painting the primered spots.... also to get the paint tone's matched (cause a paint code simply isnt good enough) you need to find an auto paint shop that mixes their own paint bring in a piece of the car with you thats painted so they can use toner to match the shade of it thanks to the varying tones that come from different assembly plants and the fading over the years.

i painted the car less than a year ago if that helps lol
Old 09-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

thats going to help you out alot
Old 09-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Über User

not ALOT but if you got some of the same paint left over then your pretty set, if not, your still probably going to have to get it matched paint mixing isnt always 100% every time
Old 09-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

+1 very true

but if your like me then it would help out alot since i always keep a little extra after i paint a car just in case i have to fix something
Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 PM
The Evil Twin

I was just aboot to put a spoiler on my Z
Old 09-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Pr0n Addict

yeah it won't be too bad if the paint is that fresh. you could get away with doing just the hatch no problem.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Big Poppa

what kinda spoiler, if its whale tail im interested, gonna have to weld to do it right.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Pr0n Addict

no it was that big ricer wing that he posted up about a year ago i think
Old 10-05-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
no it was that big ricer wing that he posted up about a year ago i think

indeed. lol I'm glad I got off that boat.
I'm thinking i'll keep driving with it until it starts snowing (With football and school I have NO TIME what so ever.)

Then i'll take it to my friends booth after I bondo and sand it again.

A lot of people like the wing, however they haven't seen what Z looks like naked

I might sell my Z, to fund my new Z project. I'm going to restore one COMPLETELY. Just like in the commercials. that would be awesome. (yes the cheesy ones that said AWESOME.)
Old 10-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Pr0n Addict

why don't you just restore yours completely?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

hey let me buy that spoiler!!! i think its just the look i need for my Z... plus i need some more downforce cause i cant handle that 135hp(i know its alot right!) i hope its atleast 1 1/2 feet tall and made of fake carbon fiber :P
Old 10-06-2008, 05:03 PM

why don't you just restore yours completely?

Mine is lol I just want another project.

My frame is completely redone. I think I added around 200-300 lbs of new steel after cutting the old rust away. (New rails, floorpans, etc)

Redid the interior too, ($25 marine boating carpet, $12 japanese floor mats (look quite nice with the car), $100 grant steering wheel, free dodge stealth seats (damn comfy). and some panels that I painted (and some I got from mr.hammer)

As for paint, its not perfect but I love it. very small nicks etc. looks damn good for $300

new brake lines, rebuilt calipers, etc.

just got my new tires last week
Old 10-06-2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
hey let me buy that spoiler!!! i think its just the look i need for my Z... plus i need some more downforce cause i cant handle that 135hp(i know its alot right!) i hope its atleast 1 1/2 feet tall and made of fake carbon fiber :P
fake carbon is pushin' it. lol I might sell it to someone in school (high schools all about pos ricer garbage anyways, this one kid drives a black cobalt that his daddy bought him with a coffee can muffler and the kid thinks he's the man)
Old 10-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Uber n00b!

ya I know a kid at my highschool that drives a black late model cavalier with the fake chrome hubcaps that you get at wally world and blue vinyl flame decals on the doors.

He's about the lamest kid in school but he thinks he's the ****.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Pr0n Addict

Originally Posted by at-jefft
ya I know a kid at my highschool that drives a black late model cavalier with the fake chrome hubcaps that you get at wally world and blue vinyl flame decals on the doors.

same here at my high school.

but now i'm in college living in the city, and can't stand at the road for more than 15 seconds without seeing a ricer. all these crap *** cars with coffe can mufflers and really loud rap music. it bothers me.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by KingDatsun1
fake carbon is pushin' it. lol I might sell it to someone in school (high schools all about pos ricer garbage anyways, this one kid drives a black cobalt that his daddy bought him with a coffee can muffler and the kid thinks he's the man)
lol i am in high school ... and kas i like rap music... im screwed... destined to be a ricer i hear....
Old 10-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Uber n00b!

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
lol i am in high school ...
Looks like you got a buyer
Old 10-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Pr0n Addict

you shouldn't have told me that. i used to respect your opinion while we were arguing, but now i am extremely biased and respect your side of the argument less because i know that you like rap. notice that i didn't say music. cause it's just poetry with bad words mumble over a drum that's actually just a button on a keyboard most of the time. sigh. rap makes a musician cringe.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by at-jefft

we had one of these, it was a red neon with a black dragon side "vinyl" it had a 2 foot conbat spoiler and spray pinted black rims, i think he got made fun of so bad he quit school though(of course i didnt make fun of him because i was just a sophmore...)
Old 10-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

you shouldn't have told me that. i used to respect your opinion while we were arguing, but now i am extremely biased and respect your side of the argument less because i know that you like rap. notice that i didn't say music. cause it's just poetry with bad words mumble over a drum that's actually just a button on a keyboard most of the time. sigh. rap makes a musician cringe.
its a south GA thing every white kid in valdosta listens to lil wayne, if you dont well then your well lame... i know its weird

but hey i did start the Zep poll, 70's rock was my first love(well second i like rap when i was little, got real into rock*not the head banger crap* but lately i have been into the hip hop "scene"

Last edited by 280zx2by2; 10-06-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Pr0n Addict

it's not just there. it's everywhere. it really emphasizes my kinda loose opinion that people are generally stupid in that they choose to follow trends. just because. now don't blow up on me for that. that's a loosely formed and not completely rounded opinion, if that makes sense. i don't think about it enough to get a good back up for it. it's just my instinct, is that people follow trends cause they think it will make people like them. rap is obviously one of those trends. to me anyway

Search this Thread