280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:01 AM

Help?

Looking for some stuff for my Z. Any opinions will be more than welcome. I want to see if the parts are worth buying.
I have an 83' 280zx N/A

Cold Air Intake?

Performance Camshaft?

Headers?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Under My Car... brb

Originally Posted by KingDatsun1
Looking for some stuff for my Z. Any opinions will be more than welcome. I want to see if the parts are worth buying.
I have an 83' 280zx N/A

Cold Air Intake?

Performance Camshaft?

Headers?
Jordan - How's life in the Penn -
Tell your pops I said howdy.

Take the plastic end out of the stock box and you won't need a cold air intake. Just get a K&N filter for the factory unit and you'll get plenty of air into the engine. It's in the right side and you'll probably need to remove the air filter unit.

Cam - Call MSA and talk to their techs. They sell several different grinds and can help you decide on which one you'll need.

With headers you only have two choices, the store bought ones or have custom ones built. Your budget, off the shelf. Same for me. Between time and budget constraints I haven't been able to get them ordered.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:52 AM
The Good Twin

What kind of driving will you be doing in your Z? There are quite a few cam grinds and they are made specifically for certain types of driving.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by CWHammer
Jordan - How's life in the Penn -
Tell your pops I said howdy.

Take the plastic end out of the stock box and you won't need a cold air intake. Just get a K&N filter for the factory unit and you'll get plenty of air into the engine. It's in the right side and you'll probably need to remove the air filter unit.

Cam - Call MSA and talk to their techs. They sell several different grinds and can help you decide on which one you'll need.

With headers you only have two choices, the store bought ones or have custom ones built. Your budget, off the shelf. Same for me. Between time and budget constraints I haven't been able to get them ordered.
Thank you! and sure i'll tell him! what horsepower add should I expect for headers? 5?

Nismo- I'm more of a quick accelerator stop light drags. only up to the speed limit of course
Old 07-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Personaly i would stay away from MSA cams. I would contact ISKY and see what they can do for you. but thats just me. Unless you do some work to the intake and head there is no real benift in using headers with the exception of a louder deaper sounding exhaust.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:25 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by KingDatsun1
only up to the speed limit of course
Hopefully you are kidding when you say that... otherwise I'd say save your pennies.

And yes, like everyone has fully laid out already, just throwing on a cam & header won't do much. Also... there's tons of threads on cams & modifying the L28. Lastly, read this book:

Old 07-20-2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Hopefully you are kidding when you say that... otherwise I'd say save your pennies.

And yes, like everyone has fully laid out already, just throwing on a cam & header won't do much. Also... there's tons of threads on cams & modifying the L28. Lastly, read this book:

MUST BUY THAT BOOK.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Under My Car... brb

First do a throttle body upgrade for faster throttle response. The header SHOULD improve the scavenging of the cylinder gases and improve the total flow of the exhaust. Removing the front of the air cleaner housing will open up the air flow tremendously. Adding a high flow air cleaner will help too. Remember, you can't put anymore in than can be taken out. If the exhaust can't get rid of it the intake can't put more in. I need to search for the thread that addresses increasing the size of the vales and which head flows the best.