280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Gettin a 83 280zx turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:24 PM

Gettin a 83 280zx turbo

hey all, im new to this site and i dont have the car yet but i plan on getting it in the next few weeks.

ok like the title says its a 83 turbo 5 speed. I found it in the back lot of a local scrap yard they was gettin ready to put it in the lot to be torn apart before i found it. I know the owner real well so if i want it itll only cost me 500. I dont know much about the car yet. its silver with a blue stripe and T-Tops. the motor looks really clean and i can tell someone put some work into it makin it look nice i.e. painted valve cover blue plastic wire covers and braided hoses. the interior needs some work looks like most of it has been pulled out. It was last plated in 06 so im just goin to take it as thats the last time it was worked on.

I dont know really anything about these cars, this will be the first non ford ive ever had that ive liked the way it looks and want to do work to it. I have a 94 t-bird SC 5 speed that ive done some work the the motor and am repainting the top now, 82 bronco ive lifted just rebuilt a 351w roller and put in it, 83 lincoln mark VI 2 door sig series very rare i just found in a farm field and am restoring now. So i guess what im trying to say is i can work on cars and do stuff to them that isnt just bolt ons and love working on my cars.

So what are the "norm" first mods to do to the motor like is there a beter turbo puttin on a FMIC. Hows the rear end in these cars. i want to make this my new DD and have power(givin my dad the 94 SC for x-mas so i have to go faster than that) I want to do some work to the suspension.Ive been lookin on the site already sounds like you guys are alot of fun and know what your talkin about so i look forward to talkin to you guys more about these fun lookin cars
Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 PM

so im guessing its a salvaged title. well 500 is not bad got any pics
Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Welcome to Zdriver man. That sounds like a good first Z, to get. And $500 is a pretty good steal. Even though it is a salvage title. (if it is) Anyway, if you don't mind the fact. That you would not ever get what you put into it. Because of the salvage title. It would be worth it, to fix it up.

Feel free to search around the site. And also ask questions. There are quite a few people here to help you out. I have learned a lot since being on this site, since 2005. Cool, place, with cool people, sweet Z's. And lots of knowledge to gather. Enjoy.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:07 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of Z cars!

First of all, you need to get to know your car, then you can fix the problems and modify (if possible) at the same time. You gotta get the kitten to purr first...
Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

There is a TON of info out there on the L28ET and really the best way to learn it is to dive into the forums here and elsewhere. The 280ZX forum here is one of the best. There are a few other forums as well that have sections dedicated to the L28ET as it is a very popular and easy swap to do in many of the early Z cars.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by ramjv
so im guessing its a salvaged title. well 500 is not bad got any pics
i just checked with them and its not a salvaged title. I cant go and get any pics right away bcuz im stationed in Ft. Riley and i found the car in Iowa. But i had my dad go and look at the car and he said the under body is clean but theres a lil surface rust on the 1/4's

Ive been lookin around the site tryin to find all the common q's out with out asking(bcuz i hate the newbies asking all the q's that theres a sticky for on my other forums) maybe a site suggestion but if you go to lincolnsonline.com they have a tech section on the home page that lists all that kind of stuff and makes it alot easier for newbies than spendin weeks readin through all kinds of stickies.

What im gettin from all you guys is it sounds like a good buy right?

thank you all for the input and i look forward to posting pics soon hopefully.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

yes great buy