280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

fpund a 280zx turbo in local junkyard

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:10 PM

fpund a 280zx turbo in local junkyard

It may not sound like a big deal for most of you guys but where I live there are hardly any Z cars so this was a super rare find. Its an 82' Turbo 5spd with just under 90k miles. The car is pretty beat up,but the Swastikas are in good shape and it apears the engine is also. I talked to the owner and he said he would not sell it because, "it has no title". I dont see how this is a problem since this thing will probably never see the road again and its old engough no to need one. BUt he did say he would sell the motor for $250 and he would pull it.

I was just wondering what you guys thought of this deal??? The motor looks untouched. The spark plug wires are pulled off and thats about it. My only concern is ther is very little oil in the motor. I plan to build this motor anyways but Id rather it be in decent shape to start with.

What sould I be looking for on the motor as as far checking what shape its in?

And if someone might want something off the car??

Thanks
Rob
Old 09-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Big Poppa

try and get the whole car instead, youll be much happier, and have better access to parts instead of always paying. that way you just walk outside, or to your inventory and bam parts ahoy. cheaper in the long run too
Old 09-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Ya, grab the whole car. Plus those guys tend to cut and yank **** when they want to get a motor out
Old 09-28-2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by apollo
Ya, grab the whole car. Plus those guys tend to cut and yank **** when they want to get a motor out
Yaa, I wasnt plainning on getting the wiring harness in usable condition.

What reason would this guy have not to sell me the entire car? And how much do you think is too much to pay for the car? I dont want to pay too much, I only $500 for my car.

Thanks for the help
Rob
Old 09-28-2006, 07:40 PM

just tell him you're buying it as a parts donor car and not for street use. Let him know you have another Z and you'll just be tranfering parts from this one to the one you already own and you're going to need more then just the motor to do the swap.

How much is too much depends on your pockets. Some people will pay a lot of money for something somebody else wouldn't take for free.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
just tell him you're buying it as a parts donor car and not for street use. Let him know you have another Z and you'll just be tranfering parts from this one to the one you already own and you're going to need more then just the motor to do the swap.

How much is too much depends on your pockets. Some people will pay a lot of money for something somebody else wouldn't take for free.
I told him I had the same thing and would be using it for parts only. He still said no, is there a law saying a business cant sell a car without a title?

THanks
Rob
Old 09-29-2006, 05:27 AM

More than likely yes. Without the title there is no way to show ownership of the vehicle, hence at any point a previous owner could come back on you saying they want their car back. The junkyard owner has a better chance of blowing them off then you do. The other things is, he makes more money on the car selling it in pieces and then selling off what's left for scrap. You take the whole car and he looses his scrap. Believe it or not, the junkyards around here make a lot of money crushing cars and selling them to recycling places. I know a friend of mine who owns a small junkyard made $14000.00 off a load of 100 crushed cars. 100 cars isn't a lot for most places. People get in accidents everyday around here. They get more cars everyday. Then theres people who call and have them tow the car away and junk it for nothing.

EDIT: This is also why it's so damned hard to find Z cars around here. The start rusting or break down and people throw them away. The junkyards don't care, they crush them a week later. Eastside Auto Salvage in Jacksonville NC had 10-15 Z cars at one point. They crushed all of them in one day and now have none. I wanted to cry, there were some beautiful Z's there. I just didn't have the chance to save them yet.

Last edited by naviathan; 09-29-2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:40 AM
The Evil Twin

most yards are smart enough not to take a car without a title though... so they probably have the title they just dont' want to sell the car. And I've never heard of a place selling for less than $500. That's what a yard around here wanted for a 280ZX turbo. The yard was waaay out there and nobody knew about it but a friend of mine called me to tell me it was there... I never got anything from it but I'm sure it was eventually crushed probably as a complete car. They're stubborn and would rather do that then sell it for $200. Its almost like they don't want to do anybody any favors. They would rather take a loss.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:42 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Bleach
Its almost like they don't want to do anybody any favors. They would rather take a loss.
Thus is the life of j-yard owners
Old 09-29-2006, 04:04 PM

they are the anti-christ of the holy Z-car order
Old 09-29-2006, 07:38 PM

I know what your talking about.. Every junk yard i go to it seems like they dont car about making money. They just want to wreck as many decent cars as possible.

and I snuck into the junk yard and found a Xenon front airdam sitting on the back of the car with stuff piled on it. Its a little bent but usable. Ill probably go back and get that. He'll probably want some rediculous amount of money for it. But thats were the ol' 5 finger discount comes in
Old 09-29-2006, 08:42 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by KTM200-280zxt
But thats were the ol' 5 finger discount comes in
HeHe... wink wink
Old 09-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Big Poppa

around here, they actually sell cars and parts for cheap, and you can talk them down at certain yards? amazing eh
Old 09-30-2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
around here, they actually sell cars and parts for cheap, and you can talk them down at certain yards? amazing eh
Good junkyards and free healthcare... you guys got everything up there.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:11 PM
The Evil Twin

oh, we have some good junk yards here. Actually, the worst yards are the ones that carry only late model cars anyway. But now and then I see an old Nissan in there and they want 'new car' prices for the parts. $300 for a rebuildable engine core on a known bad engine. (non-turbo) Other yards charge a flat rate of $175 for a complete engine no matter what car it is from. ...but when they get a turbo Z the engine is usually gone real fast or somebody comes in and takes the manifold with turbo like they're going to turbo their NA that way. Idiots!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Doesn't post much...

We've got a couple of pretty decent Junkyards down here in San Diego... Which reminds me... It's about time to make my monthly trek to Ecology Auto Wrecking and see what I can find!

Rod.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:08 PM

hmm if u are just getting the engine try and get a few extra things like the ecu the fuel pump the fuel pump relay box right above the ecu. and try if u can to get the hole compete wire harness to help u out.. if there is anyw parts u dont want or can get to sell. let me know ASAP... i get paid tomorow