280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

First timer

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 02:08 PM

First timer

Hello all,

This is just a little introduction on my part. I recently purchased a Datsun 1981 280ZX (2+2) with 165K miles (non-turbo); I began working on it about three weeks ago. I drove my ZX to my house and I parked it there because I have been buying the many parts I want to change on it. So far I'm trying to replace the most common parts that may need replacement, in addition to a good tune-up.

My goal, for now, is to get my ZX in good working conditions so I can drive it again. I don't plan on making my ZX a racing type vehicle, but rather a 'cruising' one; you know, the type that you drive on weekends to hang out and stuff.

I will be asking for advise from time to time, as I'm no expert by any means.

I'm working on a web based photo album for my ZX to show the progress on the car.

With that said, I'm going to start some major work on it this weekend...and I can't wait!
Old 03-14-2006, 02:14 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome! You sound excited... hopefully you will still be excited 8 hours into the major work. We're here to help ya!
Old 03-14-2006, 02:18 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yes welcome to zdriver, and congrats on your Z purchase. As Nismo said, we will help you all we can. So don't think you are asking a stupid question. And good luck on your project. Keep us informed bro'
Old 03-14-2006, 02:27 PM

Welcome to ZDriver. Like WildmaN said, dont be afraid to ask a question, even if you think it might be a stupid one. But if you think its a really, really, really, really, really, really stupid question like how do I get the muffler bearing on my car to coordinate with my shoelaces then you might want to keep it to yourself
Old 03-14-2006, 03:56 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Welcome to zdriver. like jfairladyz said, if you think its a really, really, really really, really stupid question, dont ask it . we may zing you a few times, but unless you tick us off, we'll always be willing to help.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Here's what's up for this weekend:

1. Install replacement hatch back door (original door has broken glass).
2. Install driver side window (car came with no driver side glass).
3. Finish clearing the way to change timing chain (friend from work is going to help me replace the timing belt, but I will be asking some questions to be on safe side ).
4. Hopefully, this weekend I'll replace: timing chain, water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, thermostat housing, spark plugs, spark plug wires, dist. cap, dist. rotor, valve cover gasket, oil filter and oil.

I'll be happy if I get to finish steps 1 through 3 and some of step 4.

I'm getting a brand 'spankin' new radiator the following week, so I should have my ZX running in two weeks!

I should be able to share some of my work-in-progress pictures soon; my web server should be up by this Friday.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Doesn't post much...

Welcome to Zdriver! I'm sure you'll find lot's of helpfull and fun people here. The best way to avoid feeling like you asked a stupid question, is to utilize the search feature of the site before you ask. If you don't find what you are looking for that way, feel free to ask away. Also, try and make sure you ask in the approriate section. Asking about body kit installation in the Suspension section will be sure to induce some sarcasm.

Looks like you've got a lot of work cut out for yourself. Good luck with it and may you have many enjoyable years of Z ownership ahead of you! We all look forward to watching your progress.

Rod.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:53 PM

Yeah there have been a couple threads just recently about changing the timing chain and general front cover info. Those should answer most of the questions you'll have about that job so look those up for sure.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:04 PM

for as long as i have been here, I have yet to find that dang search feature, so you might have to explaine on where it's out. i i can seam to find is the "Sort" at the bottom of thae page
Old 03-14-2006, 08:06 PM

Oh, and welcome to ZDriver. We are a warm, and fun group. Ask away. I know I have
Old 03-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Big Poppa

WELCOME, WE DONT BITE, AND DONT MIND MY CAPS LOCK
Old 03-14-2006, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by FubarI33t
for as long as i have been here, I have yet to find that dang search feature, so you might have to explaine on where it's out. i i can seam to find is the "Sort" at the bottom of thae page
Just look at the top of the screen and you'll see our new Google search feature. But for the one thats been here the whole time just go down from there a little and you'll come to a bar across the screen with things like User CP, FAQ, Member List, Calender, New Posts, Search, Quick Links, & Log Out. Its a grey bar with white words. It's always been there. Just click on search and a box drops down. It's a great little feature
Old 03-14-2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
WELCOME, WE DONT BITE, AND DONT MIND MY CAPS LOCK
I dont get what the big deal is. Some people make such a big deal about others typing in all caps like the world is going to end. I've even seen a couple say they cant read it if it's in all caps I really dont see the problem. It's typing. How hard could it be to read something? I hand write in all caps, also from drafting and I've never heard anyone complain about that
Old 03-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Taste My Rainbow

I AGREE I WORK IN CAPS ALL DAY ITS JUST HABBIT NOW. NOW IF YOU WRITE THE CAPS SDRAWKCAB THEN WE MIGHT HAVE AN ISSUE WITH IT... JK WELCOME TO THE "DARK SIDE"
Old 03-15-2006, 03:37 PM

Thanks all

Well, the new hatch back door and the driver side glass window are in place now !!

So, I'm done with steps 1 and 2.

I think by next week I'll have my ZX running again.