280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 05:10 PM

Finally!

After waiting an agonizing month my Z is finally here. No not my 280zx, I've gotta wait a bit to get that back. But I woke up to my dog barking. I looked out the window and even my blind *** without my contacts in could make out the Z silhoutte sitting on the trailer out in the yard. Even my wife flew down the stairs to finally see this thing. Heres the cardomain page I threw up with some quick initial pics: 260Z

And since this is a 280zx forum go ahead and check out my 280zx that I recently discovered was still mine : 280zx Turbo

Last edited by jfairladyz; 10-07-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Big Poppa

nice 260 j, ummm so ya got a turbo motor eh. cough, cough, swap the motors
Old 10-07-2006, 05:55 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

so whats the deal with the zx? hows that whole mess turning out?
Old 10-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
looks like things are multiplying for ya---wow!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by entropy31
so whats the deal with the zx? hows that whole mess turning out?
A fellow ZDriver in VA offered to store it for me. He's literally only right down the street from where the car is currently sitting so I'm just going to get it towed to his place and he's offered to hold onto it until I can get it transported out here to SD. I was going to just give it away but after that offer I decided just to keep it.

And Shady, yeah I think I'll be swapping the turbo motor into the 260 and dropping something larger into the 280.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:41 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

I assume you actually got it back from the guy your wife's parents sold it too...

Or does he still have it?
Old 10-08-2006, 06:49 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Right non J, glad to hear that you got the 260, and never lost the 280. Sweet bro', and that is cool somebody on here, helped you out. This site really does kick some major #ss!
Old 10-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Über User

if ya still want to give it away...im desperate in need for a Z again...DESPERATE!!!! haha, your car you lucky bastard....i liek the 260z i have been looking for a s30 in decent condition for a good price, whered you find yours?
Old 10-10-2006, 06:56 PM

Found mine in MN. It was listed on ZCar.com (what can I say, their classifieds are nice ). It was originally listed for $1100. I was contemplating getting it then cause the guy said he would tow it out here to me. I ended up passing and just decided to get my 280zx transported out here ( I was trying to sell it as some of you may remember) instead since in the end it would end up being less money then the $1100 + $500 to have it towed out here. Well once I heard my ZX was sold I went Z shopping again and found the 260Z still listed but he had lowered his price to $950. I jumped on it. There's some surface rust here and there on the body but the floors are completely rust free and the frame rails dont have any obvious rust or rot. I havent had a chance to inspect it to well yet though. I'm sure I could've found one in the same shape for cheaper but only $500 to have it brought to me in the middle of nowhere...I couldnt pass on that. Its the early model too

L-dub: He never even picked the 280zx up. He went to their house to get it and he couldnt get it started due to the fuel pump kill switch I installed. He was actually going to buy it as a driver, not to part it out. So for his sake he's lucky he backed out cause there was a police report filed that it was missing (I've called and gotten that straightened out now that it's still sitting there). So now I just have to have it towed out of there. My wife finally talked to her grandparents and they said they'll go ahead and hold onto it for a couple more weeks til we can get everything worked out to get it out of there. So they're not trying to sell it anymore. According to them they really did think that they were doing me a favor by selling it I dont know, and I dont really care at this point since I'll be getting her back (not til spring though )
Old 10-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Über User

so you got your zx.....hmm....if your interested in parting with the 260...im interested in taking...
Old 10-10-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
so you got your zx.....hmm....if your interested in parting with the 260...im interested in taking...
I havent even driven the 260 yet but I've already fallen in love with it. I still prefer the long, sleek ZX body, but theres just something about the S30's that draws you in. My son loves the 260 too. He keeps asking if I fixed it yet so we can go fast He loved the 280ZX too. I think its mainly cause he gets to sit in the front and he loved to have the t-tops off. That was mandatory when he rode along
Old 10-10-2006, 07:26 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Excellent. I'm glad it worked out. That guy would have been REALLY upset while sitting in a holding tank waiting for them to figure out how he bought a stolen car!

Anyway, enjoy the 260! Get yourself a set of dome-top SU carbs if it doesn't already have them and you'll be in business!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by lww
Excellent. I'm glad it worked out. That guy would have been REALLY upset while sitting in a holding tank waiting for them to figure out how he bought a stolen car!

Anyway, enjoy the 260! Get yourself a set of dome-top SU carbs if it doesn't already have them and you'll be in business!

can you tell from this pic: http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...20_17_full.jpg

I was under the impression I had the dome tops. They dont have the sharp shoulder at the top the way I've seen flattops and it would appear that the float bowls are on the sides of the carbs (flattops have them on the bottom of the carb right?. I havent really examined much in the engine compartment yet (or any of the car really).
Old 10-10-2006, 08:20 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

YUP! You got the round tops! You're in good shape dude.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:03 PM

now I just gotta get her running. I narrowed it down to either the electric fuel pump is bad or not getting power, the tank outlet is plugged, or the filter is plugged. I was able to get a peek under the rear of the car earlier today before work and it appeared as if there might be fuel in the filter. At this point all I know is there is absolutely no fuel getting to the engine compartment. I'm armed with a set of screwdrivers and a pair of pliers (my sister in laws tools) so getting this figured out has been a little on the slow side. I dont even have a jack so I cant get under the car. Everything I owned (toolwise) was/is (not sure if it's all still there) sitting in my 280zx. So with my next check I'm going shopping for tools and what not so I can get this project underway. We're expecting snow tomorrow, hopefully thats not going to be a trend this early in the year
Old 10-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Über User

dude...when you turn on the ignition the fuel pump will start....on ours you can hear it...if not get down there and feel it...then youll know if the pump is working at least...we had many issues with our s30's fuel pump.... i dont doubt yours is having it either...
Old 10-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Hey J I'll be moving to the denver area in April so at least i'll be closer to ya when you decide to get a s130 slick top...lol
Old 10-11-2006, 07:08 PM

dude...when you turn on the ignition the fuel pump will start....on ours you can hear it...if not get down there and feel it...then youll know if the pump is working at least...we had many issues with our s30's fuel pump.... i dont doubt yours is having it either...
I get the feeling it's the pump. Does the pump run constant when the key is on or only for a few seconds to prime the system like on the ZX? I'm not familiar with the exact role of the electric pump on these cars (is it a primer pump or does it run full time?). On my day off I'm going to get under the car and check it out and make sure the pump is operating or if its even getting power. If its not then atleast I'll know for sure where my problem is. I was planning on tinkering with it a little before work today since I got to go in late but it was SNOWING when I woke up (And no, I dont live in the moutains).

Originally Posted by Skittle
Hey J I'll be moving to the denver area in April so at least i'll be closer to ya when you decide to get a s130 slick top...lol
So you're bringing the Z's with ya? If I end up swapping the L28ET/5speed/R200 into the 260 then I'm probably just going to part out the shell and go after a slick top 280ZX.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Über User

i think its a constant....i remember tryin to fire the biotch up and ALWAYS hearing the pump....if not it just takes its sweet *** time to prime lol
Old 10-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Über User

i take that back...the car is fudged just let me get it shipped to my house and take that problem off your hand
Old 10-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Taste My Rainbow

as of now yeah i'll be bringing it with me. i'm taking 2 weeks off of work to work on my car on the 23-3 of nov. lots to do, body work, wheels, allignment, suspension mounted and primered
Old 10-14-2006, 03:18 PM

i think its a constant....i remember tryin to fire the biotch up and ALWAYS hearing the pump....if not it just takes its sweet *** time to prime lol
well my pump is definitely NOT coming on. Now I just have to figure out if it's because the pump isn't getting power or if the pump is actually bad. Unfortunately I'm kind of stuck where I am, what with the assortment of 4 screwdrivers and a pair of pliers

I'll be getting tools in the next week or so though I have to say though, the tool I miss the most is my DMM. I didnt think it would be as big of a deal with this car so soon. The previous owner was SURE it was the carbs. Well I dont know what condition the carbs are in but I know they're not the immediate problem. There's a lot of hack wiring I've noticed though so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not the pump itself. I suppose I could go down and get a test light from walmart until my meter gets here

Last edited by jfairladyz; 10-15-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
.......... I got to go in late but it was SNOWING when I woke up (And no, I dont live in the moutains).

where do you live, dude?? bay scum only got buckets and buckets of rain and whited out by walls of wetstuff--wow!! and e were just discussing that snow in socal the other day.

sorry bout thread theft
Old 10-14-2006, 03:52 PM

I live in the northeastern corner of South Dakota. I'm a few hours from Canada. Since it snowed the weather actually warmed a bit. Today I was able to go outside without a coat. Thats when I verified that the pump was not coming on. But still...no equipment is holding me back from doing anything about it.

On a brighter note: My wife and I signed the lease agreement for a house here in town and it's got a garage The garage isnt heated or insulated though and it gets well below zero out here during winter so I dont know if the garage will actually help all that much as far as getting work done. But it will keep her safe from the elements
Old 10-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Über User

these pumps are waky.....ill take a pic and show you something when i get home...other than that...make sure it isny hooked up backwards lol....or if its hooked up at all, or good, or coroded...there was another reason that i want to show you a pic of tht our pump didnt work...it might be your problem too...

Quick Reply: Finally!