280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Ecu swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 04:15 PM

Ecu swap

I am trying to complete the z31 ecu swap into an 82 turbo followed the swap guide and cant seem to get the fuel pump to prime. Any idea's would be great i can feel the fpr worling when ignition is turned on but no priming
Old 06-05-2017, 07:08 AM
The Good Twin

Did you use my swap guide?
What year Z31T ecu are you using?
Did you run a new wire from ecu pin 108 to the green fuel pump relay (FPR) black wire that's to the right of the glovebox?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:27 AM

Yes got continuity between the relay and 108 and can hear and feel relay when key is turned on but no priming. Checked voltage from harness side of 16[its 12] and then at pump[ none ] Side note ecu is throwing every code except for 11. Thanks for helping.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:31 AM
The Good Twin

Have you checked for power at the fuel pump? Did you re-ground the fuel pump?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:39 AM

There is no voltage at the pump. Do i need to reground pump?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:45 AM
The Good Twin

If there's no power at the pump, check the fusible links...
Did the car run before attempting this swap?

Attached Thumbnails Ecu swap-82-83t-ecu-wiring-fsm-.jpg  
Old 06-05-2017, 07:59 AM

Car ran good before swap little rich at idle. The fusible links are good.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:44 AM
The Good Twin

Then there's something wrong with the green FPR or your wiring.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:47 AM

Probably the latter. I will check it again and get back
Old 06-07-2017, 07:04 AM

Checked wiring. All seems to be good according to write up. I am not getting power to the green wire (#3) on the fuel pump relay. Which when switch would turn on fuel pump. What supplies the power for that and where can i check next.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Ok I reinspected the wiring and all seems to be correct. The fuel pump relay apears to be working. However I have no power to the green wire(prong #5) which according to my understanding of the wiring diagram should be unswitched 12v direct from the fusible links. Both sides of links have 12v. Is there somewhere the green wire could be easily interrupted? Tried to follow wire through looms. Also ecu throwing all codes and car has not started not sure if thats relavent
Old 06-07-2017, 09:16 AM

Sorry bout the double post
Old 06-07-2017, 11:08 AM
The Good Twin

Did you remove the dash to get to the green FPR or just go through the glove box? You may have yanked the green wire too hard?

I suggest running a temp power wire to the FPR / green wire to see if the relay and fuel pump turn on.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:09 AM

Did not remove dash will try running wire
Old 06-10-2017, 07:28 AM

UPDATE... I thought i would write a update because ive read so many posts that did not provide conclusions after recieving help. Here goes, the 12 volt unswitched power does not come from the green wire I have been tracing. It comes from the white and black wire ( i should have checked all relay wires for power instead of assuming the the green was the power. When the ignition is turned on the power gets switched to the green wire then powers the fuel pump. When I checked power at the pump I forgot that the power only runs for a few seconds (while priming) so no power at the pump must be wiring right? The wiring diagram shows the power from the relay also powers the aac i checked there and have power, then with a helper checked the fuel pump again and have power. Fuel pump is on the way. I will provide conclusion after install.

I easily dismissed fuel pump because car ran good when i started project two weeks ago. Once again thanks for the help Nismo
Old 06-10-2017, 10:50 PM
The Good Twin

Give the fuel pump a good whack with a hammer and see if it then kicks on.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:04 AM

Replaced pump with walbro still didnt turn on. Ran wire direct from battery still nothing. Arrrrgh!!! Brand new pump bad? Bad ground? Any ideas?
Old 06-11-2017, 07:11 PM

Good news got the fuel pump priming. Bad news no start. Trying to check for spark. I had neighbor looks for spark at disconnected spark plug wire, nothing. Have i do have power to the coil.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:39 AM

Air, fuel, spark
Im continuing to diagnose my no start problem. I have the fuel pump working (however it is making alot of noise insid the fuel rail in the engine compartment.) Its kind of a air.liquid gurgling sound. The coil has spark verified by pullinq center wire on distributer and grounding. Im trying to verify if the injectors are firing but cant here clicking over the fuel and starter noise. What could cause the noise in the fuel rail
Old 06-13-2017, 06:49 AM
The Good Twin

Are you using the stock fuel rail and regulator? If you replaced the fuel pump without clearing / priming the fuel line up to the fuel filter, you probably have a bunch of air in the line. Might want to do a purge pre and post pressure regulator to see what's up.

As for the injectors, the easiest way is to use a noid light, but you can also check for 12v constant power on one wire of each connector.

I'm amazed at the amount of problems you're having from just doing the z31t ecu swap... lol. Usually this comes from not following instructions. It's interesting that your fuel pump died during this time.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:01 AM

Right!! Good thing im just treating all this as a way to gain knowledge. When it runs ill just be better off. The fuel pump has taken a bunch of time because i made some mistakes and spent time chasing the wrong things. Its easy to dismiss things because the car ran prior.

I have two green wires going to the injectors. They both have power

Is the knock sensor on the left or right side of oil filter (removed wires from left side sensor) just making sure!

I will purge fuel and let you know
Old 06-13-2017, 07:09 AM
The Good Twin

The knock sensor is just to the left of the oil filter. It's a 1.5" round metal sensor with two round prongs sticking out of it. Thin black & red wires with black boots go to it.
The one to the right of the oil filter is the oil pressure sensor, and it's mounted on the top of a T... the T is connecting the oil line to the turbocharger.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:32 AM

I thought so, just double checking all the changes made. Should both wires to injectors have power?
Old 06-13-2017, 08:12 AM
The Good Twin

Just realized you have an 82T and I had posted the 81T schematic. Attached is the 82-83T.

For each injector, there's a hot direct from the fusible link (green wire), and wire to ecu (pin 101 to 106) for grounding. The ecu controls the ground.

Attached Thumbnails Ecu swap-82-83t-ecu.jpg  
Old 06-13-2017, 08:23 AM

Thank you i need to regroup (fyi i knew it was the 81 i had the right one from your ecu swap write up.) I just checked signal from ecu to wire 5 multimeter showed signal. Then checked wire 8 from CAS as soon as the key was turned on meter went blank. Got power to injectors.will check pins and tried to purge fuel rail got lots of fuel from both ends.

Quick Reply: Ecu swap