280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Disturbing and sad video...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:26 PM

Disturbing and sad video...

Hi all..

I just found a very disturbing and sad video..

Not for the faint hearted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo0R9WNURCQ

Why would anyone do something like that!?
And even IF (Very doubtful, judging from the very unserious music to the actions depicted in the video.) It wasnt on purpose, doing donuts all day long is BOUND to end up bad, even for a tough car like the ZX..
Those people obviously saw it as no more than a days worth of fun before ending it with a sadistic finale, while to me, owning a `82 280ZX has been a never ending 4 year long dream :S

RvH
Old 11-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

i guess your taterbrain1?

over in the middle east 280zx's are a dime a dosen, they needed sports cars back in the 80's when they were getting rich on oil... ill find you some more vids like this

good thing is that this car will probly be parted out cause these people drive em like hell but they can also build em back like hell

Last edited by 280zx2by2; 11-10-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X3R6...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFQpz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z20y8...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-EDq...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2DhY...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpXE7...eature=related

these people also do some crazy *** driving, i just want to buy em a good quality camera!!!

heres the coolest zx i have ever seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3_Ub...eature=related

and to say we americans arent always the smartest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z4THb7R9OM

i mean wtf are you gonna do when you DO get it on the trailer?
Old 11-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Pr0n Addict

i think we can draw a connection here. the people that thought it was fun to do something that stupid liked rap music..... coincidence... or........
Old 11-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

hey i like to do crazy stuff in my datsun and i listen to rap music!!!!!!

oh that was your point, i see...
Old 11-10-2008, 04:44 PM

I`ve seen most of those vids hehe, the first one was pretty bad, but I just thought maybe he was not used to the car. Most of the others just seem like good driving which I, exept the 360`s (Bad for tranny and axles.) shouldnt be anything I wouldnt think of doing in my future ZX. Agreed, there are some weirdos out there hehe. But putting a ZX on fire or constantly doing donuts knowing what`ll happen is where I personally draw the line between "innocent" driving and pathetic actions...

That Supra psycho setup looks insane btw!!

Used to have a Audi 100 from 1986, Learned to drive in that thing, Wished I could tune it but found no good way without bolting on a turbo. then I was unlucky enough to ruin the synch rings on 2nd and 3rd gear after my 30th burnout of the last day I ever drove it, dad decided we should scrap it, so we took off the parts we wanted for ourselfes (I went crazy on the interior.) The day after that, I was surfing the web, and learned from dad that the entire body of the old A100 was galvanized.. and that there was actually something called Weber carburettors for good response and awesome engine sound.. and that there were webers made for 1.8 8v inline 4`s... and that a scrapheap not too far away had a rusty A100 with a decent tranny.. Had I bothered to check those things before hand, I`d have fixed my car and put on webers...

But I learned a thing or two from that.. nuff said..

So when I see vids like that I tend to get pissed off..

Btw, I recently read about dual DCOE 40 or 45 webers run with turbo and intercooler. Do you think the same could be done on a 3.1 stroker converted L28?

RvH
Old 11-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Über User

id run triples on a 3.1 liter or a standalone fuel system. or skip spending 5k on building a stroker motor for 250hp and spend it on a turbo motor for much more with more potential
Old 11-10-2008, 06:33 PM

The person in the first video should be arrested. The no class jerk.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:25 PM

Look at it this way - each one that's destroyed makes yours that much more valuable. If it continues at this rate, our cars could one day be worth in excess of $6000, lol. Plus, I'm guessing road salt is responsible for 1000x more ZX deaths than guys doing donuts and fire.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:22 AM

Yeah, I thought as much that Stroker, Webers and Turbo combined would not be a very good solution though the idea is somewhat comprehensible as a sick L28, I was thinking about 3.1 stroker and webers OR 3.1 stroker and turbo, which, when separated, to me, each offer at least 2 somewhat realistic alternatives.

The one I am looking at currently does cost 6 grand by the way, and if it were in the states, judging by the mechanical state of the car, I`d say it would be worth a maximum of 1 grand or even less...

It would seem as if ZX`s are already a rare breed here.. Especially the 82 T-tops The one thing I am having nightmares about, even now, would be the suspension, you can always find L28 performance parts considering it`s overall popularity of Z owners all around the world. But 2+2 type performance suspension will not be easy... For all I know I`d be taking it to the workshop, pay 5 grand for complete suspension upgrade, only to learn later that I`ve been driving fast as hell with my life on the line, without knowing that I`ve been risking my life on nothing more than upgraded ***** and bearings and overhaul because they couldnt find any performance suspension but still wanted my money... Trust me, if I wanted nothing but pure power I`d switch to a RB26 or V8, but something or someone has made me want to keep the original engine and my life...

I`m already thinking, that after I buy a ZX, I`d better get a completely stock L28 and a T5 tranny before I start doing anything drastic to the engine already in the car, perhaps even a L28ET if I want to go turbo, and I might already put those in the car to make sure that I am starting on a stock engine which would be the easier thing to do instead of trying to find out what has been changed on the original N/A engine anyway..

One thing is for sure, the stock suspension and brakes will be the first thing to go definitely, considering the roads around these parts... So thats my first priority, too many people smack 400+HP in their car and soon starts wondering why the car went outside the road or worse... Rather do this safe and in stages so that optimization of the whole setup, from a mechanical and economical perspective that is (Not the time I will be consuming.) goes smoother..
Instead of getting a one-time first page in the newspapers after a bang...

In any case, when I`m done, so be it whether I choose Turbo or Mechanical tuning.. Since I`m not immortal, and don`t wanna overdo it, I don`t think I`d want much more than, to try and be specific: 350-400 HP, not under 300 as I`d want straight-away power as I`d enhance anything else as well, might as well have the power, but not too much..

Anything that has to do with suspension, brakes, clutch I`m planning to tune in a more or less good/perfect balance for fast driving/"racing" (Not saying I will or wont race.)

I think my emphasis on the car overall to be set on a balanced point between endurance/reliability and power, so that when I am driving normal, I atleast have a good RWD, and if I am flooring it, I`d have, more or less, a little monster.

Would this be considered a, more or less realistic, to-be-done wish for the ZX?

RvH

Last edited by RedVonHammer; 11-11-2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Yes, it's realistic, but not with an NA motor. A stroker is fun as an engineering exercise, but not really practical unless you have to because of specific rules in a racing class.

In order to break the 300whp level and still have something drivable on the street, you need to go with forced induction. Swapping in a turbo motor is the easiest thing to do. Leave it stock initially to save time and money and you can upgrade as quickly as you want.

There are actually plenty of suspension upgrades available, but they were all engineered 25 years ago. The "best" thing to do is to convert to coil-overs but you can get by very nicely with a good set of Tokico blue shocks, springs and a set of Suspension Techniques sway bars.

250whp on these cars is a lot given how little they weigh and will smoke a lot of "more powerful" cars at the track because of the great torque curve the L6 makes. It won't be a drag racer or a highway rocket, but it'll be good in every situation although not great in any one area.

If you want to see what's really possible at the extreme on these cars, check out Jeff Priddy's build at: http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

lww is totally right
Old 11-12-2008, 01:35 PM

Yeah I know what you mean about turbo, Dad`s got an Audi 100 here with a 200 2.2 10 valve with turbo and intercooler, forged pistons and the works came as standard, and it`s got quite the work done on it despite the standard appearance, (An entire 200 rear end welded on to it and a reinforced chassis, 200 suspension and the whole sheblam, ready for a 20 valve and 500 hp...)
It`s set at 18 psi, which is so bad-*** on that thing because even if a idiot like me drove it at full speed constantly, the inter cooler tubes would snap right off or split wide open and look like a hod dog bread before the engine has the time to take any effect of that kind of driving.
Sacrificing intercooler endurance for the most bad-*** accelerating car in town exept the RS Cosworth monster around here was a small price to pay though hehe.

My idea was power without sacrificing reliability and too much driving ability as I am a beginner, so if around 250 is what would be good for a first, then I bow my head to the experienced and shall be set at that. I`m not the kind that wants lots of horsepower as soon as I got the car, seen too many idiots go off the road doing just that, besides, 250 N/A HP and good brakes and clutch is not something unattainable at the beginning , and the car might tackle it with standard suspension if I dont floor it, I can always get above the 300 level later when I have re worked the suspension and saved the dough, so my biggest worry would be the suspension.

As for the great suspension matter I just want to go straight for the best that can be attained, as there are not many other 280 ZX`s here in Norway, not to mention I dont think they`d be looking for such "2nd best" suspension, as I do not wish to keep that kind of stuff forever if I already have something good in my car. I was thinking of coil-over conversion as well, glad to hear I was not too far off.

Thank you again for the advices and sorry for taking this thread so far off topic.

Sincerely Yours

RvH
Old 11-12-2008, 03:35 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Well, a 250 "wheel" horse power NA L6 motor is about a $7000 build here in California by a builder with nearly 40 years of experience with this motor. You're talking about a 3.2L stroker with either an N42 or P90 head, some serious head work and triple Mikuni's or triple Weber's.

High 100's (180 to 190) is more realistic with the "basics" if you're staying with fuel injection. A good cam, head work, exhaust but even then it's going to be tough with the stock intake manifold which is very restrictive even with the 60mm TB from a 240SX. It's the individual intake runners themselves that are the problem. That's why I'm using a pair of 260Z SU intakes on my NA ITB setup. Without going to the individual (expensive) runners you get with a triple Mikuni or triple Weber intake manifold, these are the highest flowing "stock" manifolds ever put on an L series motor from Datsun. They have about 30% more flow rate than the stock fuel injection intake manifold.

Remember, we're talking about "Wheel" horse power, not crank horse power. Most people talk about horse power made at the crank shaft, including manufacturers, not what actually makes it to the drive wheels. The Mitsubishi EVO 9 claims "300hp" but it only makes about 250 to the wheels. Depending on your setup, you'll loose between 15% to 25% of your crank hp before it makes it's way to the wheels. So 190 whp is making around 230 at the crank. My RB26 powered 240Z makes 471 to the wheels which is about 580 at the crank shaft. This is why a 200 "whp" Z car can smack down so many other "more powerful" cars when you take the "power to weight" ratio into account. A 2700lb Z car making 200 "whp" is carrying only 13.5lbs/whp. The 3300lb EVO 9 making 250 whp is carrying 13.2lbs/whp. Now, think about all the cars the EVO 9 can spank... The Z has almost the same power to weight ratio... and it looks MUCH better than a 4 door Lancer with "factory" body kit and a turbo...

In my opinion, "crank shaft" horse power is a useless number since so much of it is used to overcome the weight and static inertia of the driveline.

Anyway, good luck with your build.

Cheers,
LWW

Last edited by lww; 11-12-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:41 AM
The Evil Twin

Only 3300 pounds for an AWD Evo? wow, that's about the same as the 350Z.

My "300hp" 350Z dynoed 247 rwhp