280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

the curse strikes again

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Taste My Rainbow

the curse strikes again

Well for once i think i have my car running at last the issue with the fuel pump is back. The pump is not turning on so no startie. i checked the wiring for as much as i can tell and banged the pump a few times and still nothing. I hate this sparatic stuff so I can't T/S the issue!!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 07:06 PM
The Good Twin

Why not just hard wire the pump w/ your own relay?
Old 11-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Über User

yeah do that... my dads pump would work some times sometimes not and the issue was a screwed up AFM. swapped it out worked good for a while.. then something in the wiring went wierd and got that fixed.. then didnt work, figured out it was hooked up backwards lol... and since then worked like a charm
Old 11-29-2006, 04:30 AM

I'd do like Nismo said and hard wire it w/a relay. I worked on a 78 that was doing the same thing, relay was good, replaced the pump, ran an alternate ground, stupid thing would still work only half the time. You would turn the key on and you would literaly have a 50/50 chance that the POS was gonna work. Some times it will save you the headach to just by pass the circuit, unless you want to spend the time in the harness and keep the car pristine.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Taste My Rainbow

thing is i don't even know how to do that... if its mechanical i can do it if its electrical i have no clue.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:09 AM
No Club Love

wire the fuel pump to a switch, wire the swich to the battery or a pos. and neg....i think thats right
Old 11-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Taste My Rainbow

i can do the switch but have no clue on the relay part
Old 11-29-2006, 07:39 AM
No Club Love

meh, i can't remember what a relay does or is for that matter, so well ask nismo when he gets here.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Über User

it is like a fuse
Old 11-29-2006, 08:22 AM
The Evil Twin

a relay acts as an off/of switch that can take a higher amount of amperage through it vs a toggle switch that you flip on and off.

You put your main power from the battery to the relay and then out to the fuel pump. (that is the load)

The relay is also grounded.

Then you run a smaller wire to the relay which is the power that tells the relay to turn the main power on and off. This power wire can be a toggle switch that you turn on yourself or just tap power from any wire that gets +12v when the key is on.

I basically did this for my Pulsar's radiator fan. the factory stuff was broken somehow, so I just put a relay in there and ran power from a wire by the radio to turn the relay on whenever the car is on. I also put a toggle switch inline of the small wire so I can force it to stay off if I want... like when it snows I don't really need my radiator fan on.

You can do the same thing on your fuel pump. have a small switch that keeps the relay activation wire from turning the relay on. Hide this swtich well. If you flip this off when you leave your car, it is an engine kill switch!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Taste My Rainbow

so what i do is wire it up, hit the switch and turn the key which in theroy will power my pump and then allow me to start the car correct? so what happens if i forget to turn off the switch will the pump get ruined from running? or when I turn the car off the pump will turn off as well?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:15 AM
The Evil Twin

if you hook up the activation wire (which is also switched) to an ACC wire then when the car is off the relay will turn off every time.

the toggle switch I mentioned just allows you to choose to turn the fuel pump off even while the car is on. this is only needed for security reasons.

for my Pulsar's electric fan, I just like to be able to turn it off in the winter... although that does add the slight risk I'll forgot to turn it on sometimes. Not an issue if I'm moving along but if I'm in traffic, in warm weather... it could overheat if I'm an idiot.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:22 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

hmmm... tough call...

skittle, check out this link: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/relay1.htm
Old 11-29-2006, 09:35 AM

No, No. To clarify what Bleach is saying is that if you hook the toggle, relay and fuel pump up, lets say to your ignition, you get 12 volts with key on. With the key off you get no power, so there for the pump dosnt run if the key is not in the on position cause' its not gettin 12v. You use the relay so your unchecked voltage dosnt melt a toggle switch and burn your ride to the ground. If you were to hook a toggle switch up in line between your power source and relay and hide it you now have a kill switch, Ie. you get out of the car flip the toggle and it turns the 12v's to the fuel pump off, it wont get power even with the key on, then that **** try'n to jack your shiznit at 3am is gonna be a dead man cause he's makin too much noise tryin to take a joy ride and cant get it started because the pump dosnt have power with out flipin' the toggle back on. N' thats when you run out with your bat and the *** whupin begins! Speakin of *** whupin I got my $55. back from those dicks in Co. for that headlight switch they tried to screw me on!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:36 AM

Ha, ha, I wrote a novel and you guys already replied, sorry bout' that
Old 11-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Taste My Rainbow

ahhh ok i'll run to autozone in a few to get a swithc relay and wire. crossing my fingers that it works
Old 11-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Taste My Rainbow

can I run more than one accesory off of 1 relay? i'd like to use it for my power windows as well if possible.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:48 AM
No Club Love

Originally Posted by straight hate
Speakin of *** whupin I got my $55. back from those dicks in Co. for that headlight switch they tried to screw me on!
hmm that just leaves me w/ needing to either get my money back or the part...damn ups and unidentified person on here...lol. but no jk
Old 11-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Taste My Rainbow

so i run a wire from the battery to the relay, then the relay to the pump, then the pump to the switch, right? then ground the sucker??
Old 11-29-2006, 11:33 AM
The Evil Twin

no. buy the relay, there are instructions.
The relay is a single ON/OFF type device. It is not what you need for your power windows. Not even close.

I think power window need a toggle switch with an up and down position that switches polarity to turn the electric motor for the window both directions.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Taste My Rainbow

i have the relay and no instructions on them other than unplug the old one from your harness and replace with new one.. lol
Old 11-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Taste My Rainbow

ok I can get the pump on if i run a wire directly to my switch and then to the pump, just have to figure out the stupid relay.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:03 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by skittle
ok I can get the pump on if i run a wire directly to my switch and then to the pump, just have to figure out the stupid relay.
Check out these pics:

Old 11-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Taste My Rainbow

will it hurt it by not using a relay?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Taste My Rainbow

well i tryed it with out a relay and got the pump to tuen on now the car still won't start!!!!! arghhhh!!!!

Quick Reply: the curse strikes again