280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Anyone tried a Hydrogen Booster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:54 PM
MegaSquirter

Anyone tried a Hydrogen Booster?

I've been reading about hydrogen boosters and their ability to increase gas mileage. So I built one. It's called a SMACK booster and with a little ingenuity, it's installed in my 280ZX.

I did a test run tonight to check connections and wiring. First thing I noticed was a dramatic decrease in exhaust temps at the tail pipe. After 45 minutes of idling, only warm to the touch. Also noticed a difference in the smell of the exhaust, as well as the occasional drip of water. From what I can tell so far, this might work. Oh, if done correctly there should be at least a 20% increase in gas mileage. With gas goin up, every little bit helps. Here's a link to check it out if anyone is interested.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:00 PM
The Good Twin

And how does it affect power / performance? I'm always skeptical about "mpg increasing gimmicks." 99.9% of them are exactly that... GIMMICKS, and a month after they come out, are pronounced dead.

Like I always say... IF IT WORKED LIKE IT CLAIMS, IT WOULD BE ALL OVER THE NEWS AND IN THE MAINSTREAM.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Über User

lol, here we go again!

we had the largest internet discussion about this in the Z32 section about 2 or 3 years back. id search and post it up if i wasnt busy with other stuff, lazy, and just tickled by the irony.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Pr0n Addict

well do let me know how it turns out. i would forsee the computer going kinda crazy when the exhaust changed so much.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:01 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Let us know how it works out. Did you do any quantifiable testing of your car prior to adding this "booster"? Were any other modifications made to your car prior to, during or after this system was installed?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Under My Car... brb

I may try this on my Focus.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:31 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

I would wait for the verdict on this one before you go jumping at the opportunity.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:24 AM
MegaSquirter

Originally Posted by lww
Let us know how it works out. Did you do any quantifiable testing of your car prior to adding this "booster"? Were any other modifications made to your car prior to, during or after this system was installed?

Inquiring minds want to know!
The car is totally stock. I will be using two anti-fouling plug spacers to move the O2 sensor out of the main stream of exhaust. This is supposed to assist in the leaning of the air/fuel mixture. If it doesn't work, I will build the small electrical fuel mixture display that just tricks the computer O2 readings.

The booster is making about 1.5+ lpm of hydrogen, and should improve with time. I have done multiple conditioning runs on the plates inside, with just tap water and Red Devil Lye as the catalyst. Seems to be doing very well. After I get it all set up and running well I will try to post some pics.

On the issue of possible scam. This technology has been around for decades, but as you can see from the world today, OIL is everyones main concern. Do some looking on You-tube, there are hundreds of videos of folks making and applying these to their vehicles. In my opinion, this info has been purposely suppressed, but I'm paranoid that way.....
Old 03-24-2008, 03:16 PM
MegaSquirter

Ok, the booster is insalled in the engine bay and I think I have most of the kinks worked out. As far as the computer goes, I have tried a mechanical add on to the O2 sensor so that it will not try to richen the fuel flow. I used two spark plug anti-fowlers to extend the sensor out of the main flow of the exhaust. Theory behind this is the exhaust will create a venturi going past the extensions, and the sensor will read less oxygen and therefore lean out the fuel mixture. Which is what I am wanting. I will try this for a tank or two and see if there are any changes in mpg. If this doesn't work, then I will make the electronic version to defeat the computer, or trick it...

Here are some pics of the installation;

Old 03-29-2008, 09:50 AM

how's it lookin?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:39 AM

for much I dislike nismopick I have to agree, if we take the hip/placebo-ego/etc etc of the 20% claim(?) n make it 10% (why not? you couldn't wait 2 more freaking days to make some runs/tests n come up with something more substantial that youtube) the whole thing is a waist since I don't believe "injecting" hydrogen is free.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:35 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by turbot5
for much I dislike nismopick
Y u no me like?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Y u no me like?

nismo, you should wait 2 days to ask, n me another 2 to respond, just to make it fear..since I gave him 50% of his "claim": I dislike you because you spend to much time on line OR it was just agreeing n using yours as an intro to my response
Now run some tests n post results Nismo ( no laughs/smiles in here, owner of thread may get offended)
Old 04-01-2008, 12:08 PM
The Good Twin

me sory. i wont on lineweb az muhc animorz.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Über User

wait.... i dont get it. he doesnt like you cause you go online? what a D-bag!!! lol. unless i mis read his HORRIBLY typed post that doesnt make sense after he says OR lol.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:08 AM
Under My Car... brb

Any updates on this. I'm anxiously awaiting the results. We've been talking about it at work and several people are ready to try it.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

HHO is never going to work right!!!!!

just look at youtube and seeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

but if you buy my HHO kit NOW for $599.99 i can make it work for youuuuuuuu!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Under My Car... brb

It does work. It's proven science. It's just not compatable with the gas engine technology. The grassroots movement WILL make it useable. How do you think the large corporations get their technology. They buy it from inventors that have developed it for their own use.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Pr0n Addict

Originally Posted by NismoPick
And how does it affect power / performance? I'm always skeptical about "mpg increasing gimmicks." 99.9% of them are exactly that... GIMMICKS, and a month after they come out, are pronounced dead.

Like I always say... IF IT WORKED LIKE IT CLAIMS, IT WOULD BE ALL OVER THE NEWS AND IN THE MAINSTREAM.
it would be all over, but the oil companies buy the patents. it has happened, and inventors have been murdered or bought out. there is one guy in austrailia that has it and he is super paranoid.

as for thoughts that it can't work, well, it can. obviously, you can make hydrogen with a fuel cell. that is easy. and you can easily make any gas engine run just as well on hydrogen. you just need to make a throttle, get rid of your air restrictions (yes, the butterflies) and take the timing to TDC.

the challenge is making a cell efficient enough to power the car off of it's own power. i'm thinking 2 alternators will be needed. one just to make HHO.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Under My Car... brb

Originally Posted by willkrom1990
it would be all over, but the oil companies buy the patents. it has happened, and inventors have been murdered or bought out. there is one guy in austrailia that has it and he is super paranoid.

as for thoughts that it can't work, well, it can. obviously, you can make hydrogen with a fuel cell. that is easy. and you can easily make any gas engine run just as well on hydrogen. you just need to make a throttle, get rid of your air restrictions (yes, the butterflies) and take the timing to TDC.

the challenge is making a cell efficient enough to power the car off of it's own power. i'm thinking 2 alternators will be needed. one just to make HHO.
Anyone that doesn't believe that corporate America doesn't make people disappear, I have two words, Jimmy Hoffa.

Anyone that doesn't think the technology exists, do the research.

Anyone that can tell me how well the SMACK booster works, I'm waiting. I don't want to go total hydrogen, I just want to extend the ability of MY dollar to get me farther. The rich get richer, but I want to do all I can to make them wait as long as possible to do it. F them and the horse they rode in on!!!!!!! Don't forget that Australia wasn't the ony country founded as a penal colony. Our fore fathers were criminals too and our government still is. COme and get big brother!!!!

Sorry, I got carried away.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

the technology does exist it just sucks really bad... really bad!!!

ok so you think gm and toyoter are working on this? if they spent a year with their resouces they could make it work... problem lies in the fact that that theres not enough water in the world to meet the fuel suppy of the HHO cars!!!

just kidding... i think its just that the oil companies go out and buy the patents from these youtube guys then no one gets to use it
Old 07-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Über User

America wasn't criminal founded, they were escaping religious persecution. aka quakers. but obviously we came along way since then
Old 07-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
America wasn't criminal founded, they were escaping religious persecution. aka quakers. but obviously we came along way since then
ahh the quaker days... where there was plenty of oat meal and motor oil
Old 07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
The Good Twin

oat meal smothered in motor oil.... yummmm!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Pr0n Addict

i was set on doing the HHO hybrid when i first got interested too, but now it's more about all HHO for me. it's really easier. it's so hard to get the car to cut back the gas when you do the hybrid, it just gets easier to do all HHO. then you get rid of your air throttle, and let it wide open all the time. then you just need to regulate your H input. then no mixture adjustment is necessary. your throttle is your mixture adjustment. you can do away with ECU's and all the sensors and crap because you only need to regulate the H! it's great. if you can get a Hydrogen cell to be efficient enough. they can suck a lot of power, and get really hot. over come those though, and you win. then get murdered.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried a Hydrogen Booster?