280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Anyone in L.A area willing to help me with my '83 280ZX ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:36 PM

Anyone in L.A area willing to help me with my '83 280ZX ?

Hi everyone,

For a while now I have experienced uneven idling in hot weather in my Z. (Automatic; Turbo) When this problem occurs the idle often drops so low that the engine cuts off altogether. This would mean that when starting the car on a hot day, I would have to gently give it some juice for a while to keep it alive. Also, it might sometimes cut out at a red light. It would never stall dramatically, the revs would just drop so low that the engine would quietly turn off.

This prob only really occurred in other during city driving in hot weather. In all other conditions ( freeway / cold weather/ at night etc) the car drives like a champ.

Until yesterday this problem had only been a minor irritation so I pretty much just lived with it. I have little to no mechanical experience (although I am a very keen learner) so, while I checked what I could I was unable to address the problem.

Yesterday however the problem became unignorable. It was a hot day, and my gf was driving the car across town. After experiencing the usual probs for a while the car started stalling uncontrollably, and it became impossible to manually keep the revs up. She then stalled in the middle of a busy intersection, and some idiot woman sped past her blind and knocked some poor guy off his motorbike. ( Fortunately we're pretty sure he's OK).

I then went to meet her to try to get the car home, and when I drove the car I saw that the prob had become really really bad. It was sputtering and stalling every few minutes. In the end I called AAA to tow it home for me.

The AAA guy told me that instead of towing it all the way home, we may as well stop buy the garage he works for for a free diagnosis. I didn't expect much from some random garage, but as it was free I figured I may as well see what they had to say. However when we got there the mechanic had left for the day. They said they would keep the car overnight and diagnose it in the morning.

The following day they found absolutely nothing wrong with it. They towed it back to me tonight and i took it for a test run and it seems to be running fine. However, I am now unwilling to risk driving it during the day whenever it's hot (which is a almost always here!)

In the past Mark at Mike's Z shop in Whittier (a great guy) has helped me out, but right now I don't think I could make it out to him during the day. (I'm in Hollywood)

So.... I was wandering if any kind Z expert out there might be willing to have a look at the car with me and see if they diagnose the problem. It would be amazing to have someone with the specific knowledge of these cars displayed by the users on here give me their advice on my Z.

If anyone were kind enough to think about helping I would of course reimburse your gas money, buy you lunch / drinks and pay you whatever you think reasonable for your time.

Thanks so much

Kian

PM if you want phone/ contact details

Last edited by kiboy6; 01-31-2009 at 07:15 PM.