280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Anyone has these...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 05:21 PM

Anyone has these...

exhaust headers from MSA?

I'm wondering if I have to weld both pieces or if just putting both pieces together will do the trick; they're a tight fit, but I just want to make sure that I'm doing it right. Both pieces are not connected, yet, all the way through, as I said they're a tight fit and I'm wondering if they're just supposed to be fitted manually or welding is the way to go.

Here's a picture of the actual headers I have.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone has these...-img_0033.jpg  
Old 04-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Über User

i doubt sliping it together will do, get clamps.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:36 PM

If you really don't want them to leak then have them welded...but some real good clamps will do.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:53 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about welding it.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:51 PM

i have them.. there suppose to be force in.. and when the car is on.. and it gets hot, there suppose to stick together so you dont need to do any of those thing.. but i was looking at em the other day.. and it looks like it is slipping.. it came out maybe 1/4 of an inch... but i had them on for like 6 months w/o welding or clamps
Old 04-08-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by chinesekid
there suppose to be force in.. and when the car is on.. and it gets hot, there suppose to stick together so you dont need to do any of those thing
this would only work if the outer one didnt expand with heat, but when both of them get hot they both expand so its not much of a seal...get clamps
Old 04-08-2007, 08:45 PM

I have em' on mine. Slip them on after you bolt it to the head. We got mine on beating them on with a two by four and a mallet from the cat end of the collector, then clamp them down. They have never leaked on me and I never welded it together.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Big Poppa

i had to weld mine, just needed to be tacked on. i found out they fall apart after some time. then you here tinka tink a tink. and very loud smelly exhaust. trust me!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:44 AM

Thanks for your suggestions all.

Yes, I'm going to slip both pieces together and then take them to get welded.

One more thing, any of you guys replaced the exhaust from that point on? And if you did, what brand/system did you go with?
I was looking at BlackDragon Auto and they have this, and was wondering if that would be a good replacement set for my 2+2 ZX.

Oh, and check out my new engine!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:15 PM

Anyone knows the torque specifications to bolt the exhaust headers to the head? Haynes only talks about exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold.

Also, (for those of you with the same type of headers as the one I have) did you have to replace or buy new bolts? My original bolts look weakened and I'm afraid to tighten those bolts too much for them to break.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:49 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by n00blar
Anyone knows the torque specifications to bolt the exhaust headers to the head? Haynes only talks about exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold.

Also, (for those of you with the same type of headers as the one I have) did you have to replace or buy new bolts? My original bolts look weakened and I'm afraid to tighten those bolts too much for them to break.
When I did mine, I just did it till they were snug. And did it a little bit more. I have had no problems with leaks. I would say to be safe, 10-15 foot lbs, at most. Of course I am not sure what kind of headers I have. I think they are Monza, but not 100% sure. And I just used the stock exhaust bolts. And they worked for me just fine. Hope this helps you out.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:36 AM

Those are Jet Hot Coated headers. I don't think you can weld them without breaking the coating away. I have that same header, but I haven't gotten that far in my engine build so I can't help much. Although my slipon wasn't coated just the headers themselves.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Taste My Rainbow

wow very beautiful engine there. Now you need to get a non webbed non egr manifold on there.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by naviathan
Those are Jet Hot Coated headers. I don't think you can weld them without breaking the coating away. I have that same header, but I haven't gotten that far in my engine build so I can't help much. Although my slipon wasn't coated just the headers themselves.
Indeed, you're right.

I had them grind them a bit so they could weld them. I rather weld than use clamps and then have to get readjust those clamps six months later.