280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Any 280 with 10" wheels? (width)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 12:54 PM

Any 280 with 10" wheels? (width)

I'm looking at a set of rims, for the rear i can choose between 15x8 or 15x10...I'd like to go with the 10'' ones, but i was wondering if any 280 is running with wheels this wide!? Also, offsets: I want the wheels to be flush or stick out a little bit...for the 15x8''s i'd probably go +22...what about the 10''s (+0 offset?). Its hard to see what offset i need, especially because i dunno what the stock offset is. HeLp!
Old 09-17-2005, 11:48 PM
The Good Twin

check out my post BEFORE yours on this thread:

https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14804
Old 09-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Bleach is my Hero

G'Daymn.. That is wierd lookin
Old 09-18-2005, 10:31 PM

Just ask Rod. Something tells me he's pretty keen on offsets and what not. Might have something to do with his line of business. Or should I say HIS business Careful though, he's a Charger fan
Old 09-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Doesn't post much...

OK, First of all. Unless you're setting up your car for draq racing only, 10" is just too wide. Remember... rolling resistance robs power. Also, the car won't handle for crud with that much rubber on the rear. As far as offsets go... this get's really tricky. Your stock wheel is a Zero Offset wheel... it's also only 5.5" wide (or 6" depending on the style). When adjusting for offset, you also need to adjust for width. Putting a 40mm adapter on your hub and then trying to intall a 8" wide wheel with a +40 Offset ain't gonna happen. It might clear on the back, but it certainly won't clear on the front.

Now, because I don't want the liability of telling you what will and what won't fit your car, I'll just tell you what I'm running and let you decide what you want to do.

I'm running 17"x7" wheels with a +42mm Offsett all the way around. I have a 45mm adapter all the way around. My tires are 235/40ZR17 all the way around. This is slightly shorter than the stock 195/70R14 tire, but substantially wider. On the front, I can't even get my pinky finger between the edge of the tire and the spring seat on the strut housing. One step wider on the tire would rub like mad. I have all kinds of room on the back. Now, if I went to a 17x8 wheel with the same Offset, I would be screwed because it's gonna come inside the fender well by another 1/2 inch as well as going another 1/2 inch outside the fender well. When I step up to 18" wheels, I'll need to get a thicker adapter because the 18's are also gonna be at least 7.5-8.0 inches wide... plus the tire size I would go with would never in a million years clear the strut. What I may do, is keep the 17" wheels and just go slightly wider/taller on the rear... which will also give it a little bit longer hiway legs (As I mentioned before, what is on there now is a little shorter than stock therefore bringing the RPM's up.).

So, as you can see... it's not quite so simple. I learned a long time ago not to tell somebody what wheels to put on their car... I'll sell them whatever they want, but I'm not gonna tell them what to go with. The fact is, that if I call American Racing (who also handles centerline, motegi, and about ten other lines) or American Eagle (MSR, Boss and a bunch of others) or Wheel Warehouse (all other lines) and give them the application (Type of car) and ask what they have to fit... they go into their computer and generate a list of every wheel that is known to fit that car. If I ask for a wheel that isn't on that list... knowing they say it won't work, but the customer must have them... they'll send them to me, but once the boxes are opened... I own them. If we mount them on the customers car... the customer owns them wether they fit or not. Now, If I call any of those places and ask what they have in a 15,16,17 or 18 inch wheel to fit a 280ZX... they will say "Absolutly nothing" except for a couple centerlines and Eagles that are butt ugly and even then they're only made 15 or 16 inch. There are no 17 or 18 inch wheels "approved" to fit this car. So, when you start making mods to accomodate such a wheel... you're on your own to make sure they fit.

Rod.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:00 PM

Well i found some advans, my friend is selling with tires for $800 to me, 17x7.5 (+10)fronts and 17x9's (+0)...i have a spare set of 15mm and 30mm spacers...so we'll see how they fit without spacers, then adjust accordingly.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Doesn't post much...

Spacers, or Adapters?

Spacers are a good way to die while driving your car, or just completly ruin your day and your car when the studs snap under hi G situations. Spacers are for show queens only... drive on them and suffer the consequences. Now, somebody is probably going to tell you that I'm full of ****... so don't say I didn't warn you. Anybody who actually knows anything will tell you the same thing I did.

Rod.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:25 PM

You're full of **** Rod.
Hey man, I'm just making sure you're right about EVERYTHING you said there. Not just the part about the spacers. And on a side note, I'll take your word on that one Rod. I don't have any experience with spacers and, after reading a few of your posts, I never will have any experience with spacers. I probably wouldn't have used them anyways, but you've just set it stone.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:13 PM

I've had SPACERS on my 240sx for about 5 years now...its best time is a 12.87 and revvs to 8k- I'd say thats a pretty "hi G" situation (especially when most of my time is spent 5k+ when drifting). Deffinitely not just a show queen. Where do you guys get your adapters from?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Doesn't post much...

Are you talking about Spacers or Adapters? There's no way a Spacer will take that abuse. No Way. An adpater bolts to the hub and then the wheel bolts to it. A spacer is just a thick plate with holes in it that sets between the wheel and the hub. I've never seen a spacer not break the studs after hard use... never. By the way, any licensed track won't let you run with "Spacers" on your car.

Rod.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:29 PM

What are spacers then? Because mine is a billet plate 30mm thick, with holes drilled for the studs, and then its screwed into the hubs...but it was called a "spacer" when i bought them (5-6yrs ago).
Old 09-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Doesn't post much...

That's an adapter... I just explained the difference in my last post...

Rod.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:42 PM

Well i bought it and it was called a spacer so lol, whatever, i just want the big rims for show, when i race, i have a seperate set of 16x8'' all around with some decent tires that i can afford to shred, unlike a nice 275 or 285mm tire.