280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Aftermarket exhaust for 280zx?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 PM

Aftermarket exhaust for 280zx?

Hello,

I am going to need to replace my exhaust from the block back (new header and collector too). I was looking for a straight pipe with no cat in 2.5". Does any company make a full kit for the 280zx or am I stuck going custom? Planning to throw on a glasspack after as well.

If I go custom, is there anything wrong with going aluminium? More expensive than steel but will never rot out/develop holes as far as I know?

Getting tired of rust and yet so much more to come... I'd love to slap the dude who came up with a POROUS seam sealer.... just wow.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 PM
The Good Twin

#1: Please search... we've discussed aftermarket exhaust a lot (I don't want to sound like a search ****... but really...).

#2: MSA and BDA both sell exhaust kits.

#3: Please, Please, PLEASE, don't use a "glasspack".

#4: You'll probably pay 10x more for aluminum exhaust... and the only benefit on a low hp car is saving a few pounds in weight.

#5: Take your car to a good exhaust shop and have them build a complete 2.5" exhaust for your car for around $200-$250.

EDIT... add to #5: Almost all, if not all exhaust shops use galvanized steel pipes these days... the only rust will be at the welds if not protected by a high temp paint.

Last edited by NismoPick; 05-11-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Black_Zephyr
Hello,

I am going to need to replace my exhaust from the block back (new header and collector too). I was looking for a straight pipe with no cat in 2.5". Does any company make a full kit for the 280zx or am I stuck going custom? Planning to throw on a glasspack after as well.

If I go custom, is there anything wrong with going aluminium? More expensive than steel but will never rot out/develop holes as far as I know?

Getting tired of rust and yet so much more to come... I'd love to slap the dude who came up with a POROUS seam sealer.... just wow.
The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts: 70-83 Performance Exhaust

If it were me though I'd just get one fabbed. And no I'd say Aluminum > Steel!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 PM

Thanks,

I did use the search but did not find the topics conclusive to my needs but I did look Herr Nismo

Just... wondering... is the market in the USA really that friendly to cars? 250 for a full exhaust system!?!?!?! Ok... here I was quoted about 580-750 due to the "complexity" and "number of bends" in the 280zx's exhaust. Thoughts? Or is everyone out here a schiester?

Also, why no glasspack? what is better?

Last edited by Black_Zephyr; 05-11-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 PM
The Good Twin

The 280zx exhaust is simple... whoever told you it is complex has never looked under a 280zx.

Here's mine (turbo, but 99% the same for the n/a). I paid somewhere around $250 for it and it took the guy about 2hrs. The only major bends needed are at the rear crossmember, and even that isn't bad.

And glasspacks are for 1960's redneck V8's... not Japanese I6's.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
The 280zx exhaust is simple... whoever told you it is complex has never looked under a 280zx.

Here's mine (turbo, but 99% the same for the n/a). I paid somewhere around $250 for it and it took the guy about 2hrs. The only major bends needed are at the rear crossmember, and even that isn't bad.

And glasspacks are for 1960's redneck V8's... not Japanese I6's.
Speaking of.. what is your muffler! Also do you have any videos you've taken of your car?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:31 AM

he wants a header too guys lol

check ebay for the race headers............ i belive they are aluminum .... but a bit pricey

there are also a few companys who special make them
Rebello proformance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zccjdm.com
lone wolf

semi custome sellers are

black dragon auto and the z store

unless you are wanting straight proformance the z store is the best way to go

rebello can make you anything you want tho if u want to pay for it

but buy a header and have a shop make you the rest if you want to save
Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 AM
The Good Twin

Yeah... paying someone to build a custom header would be ridiculous. I guess I didn't clearly state before: Buy a header from MSA / BDA / a reliable source, then have a shop build from the collector back (that should be around $250).
Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by ThaPimpShrimp
Speaking of.. what is your muffler! Also do you have any videos you've taken of your car?
It's a Bullet muffler from DynoMax. I used to have a bunch of videos on Myspace... but I deleted that account years ago. Maybe I'll re-post them on YouTube.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Hello,

Aluminumized is fine but full aluminum isn't really a desirable exhaust material for a street car - if you want something that is going to last get stainless - it is going to be a custom installation though as no one makes a bolt on stainless system.

Get this:

The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts: MSA 3-2 TBC Coated Header, With Smog Fittings, 81-83 280ZX

The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts: Aluminized Performance Exhaust System, 82-83 280ZX Non Turbo

I replaced the muffler that came with the kit with Dynomax Exhaust Muffler in Canada - Canada 17218 Exhaust Muffler Canada (I think the picture is wrong here) as well as the tip.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:48 PM
The Good Twin

Titanium exhaust FTW.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:23 PM

I wonder if I can get that MSA header from a shop here in Canada/Alberta... be cheaper than ordering south-side.

I'll get someone to bend the rest as it will probably cost the same as that kit + shipping anyways.

Suggestions on cheap mufflers? (Looking at 100 bucks tops. New apartment and engine swap coming up, and not making what I wish I was
Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 PM

Btw FricFrac... what on earth do you do to afford so many Z's?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Lol I was smart with my money when I was young and bought a house as soon as I could and rented it out. Worked four jobs at once for a while. Went without a Z car four eight years. Make the sacrifices when you're young and you set yourself up for the rest of your life - usually.... lol
Old 05-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Oh yea and buy your cars from the USA....
Old 05-12-2012, 10:50 PM

Why buy from the USA? Saving up makes sense, just wondering how old you are now? I hit 25 this June... and feel old compared to those 19 year old rigger kids in their souped F350's. Aw well, some of us bothered to spend the 45 grand to get a degree or two.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:03 AM

Why buy from the USA? Saving up makes sense, just wondering how old you are now? I hit 25 this June... and feel old compared to those 19 year old rigger kids in their souped F350's. Aw well, some of us bothered to spend the 45 grand to get a degree or two.
A custom header will probably run you way more then purchase+shipping. You ARE in Oilberta, we both know anything people touch there is worth 3x more than anywhere else in Canada.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buy from states, even with inspection/transportation costs, I have found cars cheaper, and in way better shape than anything you can find here. Also all those kids that are 19, work in the patch and drive jacked up big *** f350s/escalades, still live paycheck to paycheck (I know, I work with a lot of them). I am 27 and pretty much like FricFrac, I busted my *** off earlier, and actually still am, to set myself up for later, I don't mind. Save/invest = WIN!
Old 05-13-2012, 03:53 PM

Hey Skully,

Nifty. Pass me your e-mail through Private Message, I'd love to be in touch with another Albertan Z owner. Just getting into them and would love like-minded buddies to work with who are near.

Yes, Oilberta. The farther north, the more expensive. The farther south till the border, the worse quality. I like it right in the middle thanks

Currently looking to get into oil patch safety to fund my Z love.

Thanks for the exhaust tips guys. I'll see what I can do when revenue allows.

BTW, here's some pics of my black beauty!

Nasty, ugly, smoke churning engine!

Last edited by Black_Zephyr; 05-13-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:32 PM

Car looks good!! Very not rusty! hehe! I live in Sask and work in Alberta, so you wouldn't see much of me in AB when I am working.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Still it is nearby-ish. I can always see your car coming from 50 miles away... Flatschewanian
Old 05-13-2012, 07:21 PM

Another note... undercoating for rust stoppage/prevention. What to use (mineral oils/hot oil or the spray stuff? Have it done or do it yourself?) How to use it?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 PM

I have not, the yankies praise por15, no clue if we have it in CANADIA.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Looked into it and they sell it here, but seems only a brush on type... a lot of hours to do the entire bottom of my car lol. Wish they carried an aerosol can kind.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

You can get Por15 and Por20. I use Por 20 on my exhaust manifold, heat shield, headers, etc, etc. It's expensive but it goes a long way. One thing to remember about Por15 is that it doesn't like UV. If it's exposed to sunlight paint over top of it with something.

I use Conquest after I've gotten rid of any rust scale, etc. After that I paint over top with a good engine enamel, etc. You can use a cold galvanize zinc primer. They use that a lot for marine applications.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 AM

nismopick can you please post the link to your exhaust sound??

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust for 280zx?