280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

82 zx

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:39 PM

82 zx

Hello eveyone, new guy here :-)

I got my eye on this Z and hope I can get it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6187

The listing has a "reserve" but looking at the listing; how much do you think its worth and how much do you think the reseve is?

Thanks,

Mike.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:03 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Welcome to Zdriver man. As for the reserve, I will bet it is pretty high. Considering how clean the car is, and the low mileage. Also it is a custom paint job. With the blue and silver scheme reversed, and changed a little. I also can't quite tell, but it looks like a slicktop as well. Which is more rare after '81.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Political n00b crusher

I would guess the bids are getting pretty close to the reserve.....I would guess $7 or $8K. Its a nice, clean car but N/A, and while the mileage is low, its not super low.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Minty but IIRC that car has been for sale for a while now. If I was going to pay for a car that minty it would have to be a turbo....
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ x2...

Of course, I'd never spend more than $500 when buying any Z Car.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by SportBikeMike
I would guess the bids are getting pretty close to the reserve.....I would guess $7 or $8K. Its a nice, clean car but N/A, and while the mileage is low, its not super low.
Thanks everyone for your replies.

As I said, I really like the car and hope I get it....plus I got the green-light from "the boss"

Trying to set some kind of limit for myself here - what would be the most you would pay for it ?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 AM
The Good Twin

It's up to you... if you want the car, I would assume you're willing to pay the price. It's in great shape, but not all "original". The window louvers & mud flaps aren't orig... and they are HUGE sources for rust (if you ever plan to drive the car when it's humid / wet / rainy / snowy). The exhaust might not be orig either... can't tell from the pics, but that chrome tip isn't orig.

All in all... it's a gorgeous car, but I sure wouldn't pay more than $5k for it. Like FricFrac said, you could get a nice turbo model for that price. Hell, I'll sell you my monster 280zxt for $10k. Fully restored minus a paint job, and tons of mods.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

There are a few things to take into consideration.

First off are you looking for a good deal? If you are then you need to spend a year or so checking prices locally and the various states around you from coast to coast and north to south. Prices do vary. Once in a life time deals like this come up on E-Bay every few months. I've been watching Datsun/Nissan's seriously for the last couple of years and when I make the once in a life time deal of the century purchase the next one shows up six months later. There's lots out there if you have a little patience and experience you can get a great deal.

The prices for various conditions vary and you have to decide what exactly you want. Does it have to be completely stock with the original paint? Is a stock repainted vehicle OK? Do you want a little or a lot of performance upgrades? Personally a completely stock S130 would drive me nuts. The stock suspension is soooo mushy I'd way rather drive my wife's Toyota Sienna mini van. Just changing the springs makes a huge (and acceptable) difference. Stock wheels have huge side walls and there is a significant increase in how the car "feels" with larger wheels with smaller sidewalls and the stock diameter. Bolt on mods can always be reversed and swaping between stock components can be reverted as well (eg analog/digital dash, etc).

Second are you keeping the car forever and ever? If so a good solid car is worth the investment but consider where it's lived it whole life compared to where it will be living for the remainder of it's life. If cars rust where you live you are going to want to get rid of all the seam sealer in the car and replace it with a real seam sealer. Most of that is simple but you really should have the wind shield removed so that you can ensure that it's done properly as this is one of the issue areas for rust on the 280ZX that is difficult to repair after the fact. You can fix the seam sealer yourself - it's a good winter kind of project and it will let you know exactly what condition your 280ZX is in. Most rust issues are hidden on these cars and by the time you can see them the damage is extensive. The drive train goes forever, the engine is bullet proof and parts are plentiful. The most important thing is to get a solid car. You can keep the car solid in a soggy environment but you need to fix a few things that weren’t done right at the factory and the seam sealer is #1. Wax oil in the rocker panels, frame rails, door cavities, in behind the fenders, etc is cheap and works well but needs to be re-applied every couple of years. Get rid of dirt between the fender and inner fender on the front, around the fender lips, bottom of the rear fenders, etc.

We need more details as to what exactly you want and what you are willing to comprimise on.....
Old 08-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Political n00b crusher

What do you think of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsu...item20bc3289bc

No reserve!! This could be a great deal for someone (possibly me.....).

I can't believe he listed this car with no reserve in this economy. Might end up regretting that.....
Old 08-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

He was asking $15K for it over here. Even at $15K its a good price. Two completely different cars. Are you just looking for something cool or did you have something in particular in mind?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Political n00b crusher

Ok I thought that one looked familiar. I would say $15K is about what its worth if not more if you look at all the mods.....all good quality stuff. I'm still not sure about the wisdom of putting it on Ebay with no reserve and a bad economy.

I was just looking for something cool....but I'll bow out if it gets anywhere near that price. Just more than I want to spend.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
There are a few things to take into consideration.

First off are you looking for a good deal? If you are then you need to spend a year or so checking prices locally and the various states around you from coast to coast and north to south. Prices do vary. Once in a life time deals like this come up on E-Bay every few months. I've been watching Datsun/Nissan's seriously for the last couple of years and when I make the once in a life time deal of the century purchase the next one shows up six months later. There's lots out there if you have a little patience and experience you can get a great deal.

The prices for various conditions vary and you have to decide what exactly you want. Does it have to be completely stock with the original paint? Is a stock repainted vehicle OK? Do you want a little or a lot of performance upgrades? Personally a completely stock S130 would drive me nuts. The stock suspension is soooo mushy I'd way rather drive my wife's Toyota Sienna mini van. Just changing the springs makes a huge (and acceptable) difference. Stock wheels have huge side walls and there is a significant increase in how the car "feels" with larger wheels with smaller sidewalls and the stock diameter. Bolt on mods can always be reversed and swaping between stock components can be reverted as well (eg analog/digital dash, etc).

Second are you keeping the car forever and ever? If so a good solid car is worth the investment but consider where it's lived it whole life compared to where it will be living for the remainder of it's life. If cars rust where you live you are going to want to get rid of all the seam sealer in the car and replace it with a real seam sealer. Most of that is simple but you really should have the wind shield removed so that you can ensure that it's done properly as this is one of the issue areas for rust on the 280ZX that is difficult to repair after the fact. You can fix the seam sealer yourself - it's a good winter kind of project and it will let you know exactly what condition your 280ZX is in. Most rust issues are hidden on these cars and by the time you can see them the damage is extensive. The drive train goes forever, the engine is bullet proof and parts are plentiful. The most important thing is to get a solid car. You can keep the car solid in a soggy environment but you need to fix a few things that weren’t done right at the factory and the seam sealer is #1. Wax oil in the rocker panels, frame rails, door cavities, in behind the fenders, etc is cheap and works well but needs to be re-applied every couple of years. Get rid of dirt between the fender and inner fender on the front, around the fender lips, bottom of the rear fenders, etc.

We need more details as to what exactly you want and what you are willing to comprimise on.....
Wow, thanks for all the detail information.

I realize that this is a big investment thats why Im looking for a good clean car with low miles that I can keep forever.
A few years ago I sold my '82 280ZX and I wish I still had it....sold it to buy a civic and at the end I ended up selling the civic.
I live in Orange County, CA near motorsport auto.
Im not too worry about the weather and this would be more like a weekend car, garaged most of the time, like my wife says "a weekend toy"

My first car was a '79 280ZX, sold it because I didnt really like the 2+2, sold it and got a '83 280ZX but I didnt like the automatic transmission sold it and got my '82 280ZX...loved it and drove it everywhere.

The car is not listed anymore but I contacted the seller and wants $7900 firm.
My feeling is that I really like this clean car and I wont find another car like this my...wife tells me to just get it.

Mike
Old 08-31-2011, 10:48 PM

Well, did you buy it?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:14 AM
The Evil Twin

$6,900 reserve not met.

Not bad for a $5000 car!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by lv280zx
Well, did you buy it?
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply.
Anyways, I called the owner the very next day (Aug 24th) to tell him I was flying to Denver to pick-up the car....his reply was: "Hi, sorry I sold the car today"
I already had my one-way airline ticket lined-up, someone was picking me up at the airport and a driving plan back to So Cal.
For what I understand someone from Arizona offered him the asking price.

I was kind of upset; it even crossed my mind that when I posted the "Z" here someone noticed it and contacted the owner

I now found another nice "Z" and I'll post back after I park it in my garage

Mike
Old 09-05-2011, 10:32 AM
The Good Twin

You set up a trip BEFORE you even contacted that guy?

I doubt it was anyone around here... I don't think any of us would have paid that price.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
You set up a trip BEFORE you even contacted that guy?

I doubt it was anyone around here... I don't think any of us would have paid that price.
Actually nothing was purchased, it was just a plan.

Now I have my eye on this one.....j/k, I think this one listed is waaay out of my budget.

Mike.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:56 PM

wow, guess who is back ZX

I wonder if something wrong with the Z

Mike
Old 09-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Political n00b crusher

Probably nothing wrong with the Z...probably just a deadbeat bidder. Happens all the time on Ebay. You'll see cars show up in the completed listings as 'sold' then show back up for sale a few days later.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:36 AM

I was in touch with the original owner from Colorado as I was the "runner up" to buy the car; he confirmed that he had sold the car to someone in Arizona and the carfax shows that it was registered in Arizona a couple of weeks ago.

Sooooo, the new owner buys it, drives it to Arizona, spends all this money to process the car and then just to sell it a couple of weeks later for about the same purchase price......just saying, something very weird going on here.

btw - this is listed as "1 owner" ?

Mike.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:38 AM

You don't have one yet?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by 85300zx
You don't have one yet?
I found one and getting smog tested by the owner early next week.

.....and then this blue one comes up again; I dont think I can thrust this one now.

Mike.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:59 AM

I hope you find the car you are looking for. Im selling my '85 z31 slicktop. I've been thinking about a 5oth ae, 280zx, or a 1984-1989 Corvette.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Primer Grey FTW!

I bet you the guy bought the car, and realized he couldn't afford it. Or its just not fast enough for him.