280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

300zx?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 08:17 PM

300zx?

Hey guys I know I should probably post this in the Z31 forum but I don't like those guys AZ_BUM is a jerk and instead of answering your question he gives u some stupid remark about how you should find someone else to ask. If he doesn't want to answer y doesn't he jsut stay off the question... Anyway to a more positive note we fixed the starter in my dad's 300ZX ad did a compression. Bad news is some of the cylinders are significantly lower than others IE. 190psi cyl. 6 135psi cyl. 1. My real question is are the alternators from the 280zx the same as the ones from the 300ZX as well as the brackets? or should I jsut go get one? We don't know if the car is goig to start yet so we didn't want to go spend a bunch of money at the present time and I have an extra one out of a 1980 280zx. I wax just wondering if it would fit or not.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2005, 08:39 PM

Hey if you had to spend your time in a Z31 forum instead of this one wouldn't you be an ******* too
Besides, I'm almost positive someone here will have an answer to your question. So there no need to venture over to the wrong side of the tracks again

Oh, uh and no, I don't have any idea if they're compatible or not
Old 09-24-2005, 08:41 PM

Thanks I was trying to avoid becoming one of them I just needed to ask a quick question and I got sarcasm and accusations and I didn't need that BS so I stopped going there thanks anyway jfairladyz
Old 09-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Doesn't post much...

The 300ZX/Maxima alterntor will work in a 280ZX, But not the other way around. The key difference is amperage... 300ZX/Maxi has more. Hence, I have a 300ZX alternator in my car.

Rod.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:08 PM

does anyone have one they wanna sell me with the brackets since mine got jacked. some jerk stole only certain parts of the accessories and cut the others. It kinda sucks cuz now we have to put everything back together vacuum lines are the best thing any stupid person came up with specially putting 1000 of them in one engine compartment. so ya if anyone has one let me know!
Old 09-24-2005, 11:15 PM
NisTuner

fightforlife07, I know exactly what you mean. I used to go over to Z31 forums all the time. You'd ask a question and you'd get pointless answers that would make you wonder why they wasted their time responding.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
The 300ZX/Maxima alterntor will work in a 280ZX, But not the other way around. The key difference is amperage... 300ZX/Maxi has more. Hence, I have a 300ZX alternator in my car.

Rod.
Do you still use the same size belts and everything to do that kind of swap?
Old 09-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Doesn't post much...

Yes, evrything is the same. From outward appearances, there is no difference between them. Like I mentioned before, the only difference is that the 300 has more amperage. It's a good upgrade if you're running an amplifier or other electronics in your car.

Rod.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:18 AM

If the Z31's alternator was more powerful than the 280ZX's, does anyone know how much power difference there is? I think I read somewhere the 280ZX's puts out 60A.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:34 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

you guys really think the z31 forum is full of ********? i'll see what i can do to take care of that. i hesitate to tell zbum to get lost, because he does provide quite a bit of very useful info, albeit in an arrogant fassion. i dont think everyone in there is a jerk, but yeah, i can see where you are coming from.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Heat Rave R
If the Z31's alternator was more powerful than the 280ZX's, does anyone know how much power difference there is? I think I read somewhere the 280ZX's puts out 60A.
I second that question, and what year of the z31's do we need to get this alternator from?
Old 05-05-2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by entropy31
you guys really think the z31 forum is full of ********? i'll see what i can do to take care of that. i hesitate to tell zbum to get lost, because he does provide quite a bit of very useful info, albeit in an arrogant fassion. i dont think everyone in there is a jerk, but yeah, i can see where you are coming from.
I spend a little time in the Z31 forum and it's not bad at all. Sure it doesn't quite have the livelyhood that this one does but it still seems like they're plenty helpful. ZBum just doesn't sugar coat anything And make sure you do your research first. And I mean really do it, not just say you did
Old 05-05-2006, 08:38 AM
The Good Twin

I did a lot of reseach about 280zx / Z31 alternators. The VG30 alternator swap takes a lot of mod'ing. The horizontal distance for the pulley shafts are different, so if it's not installed right, the belt will shred quickly. I read a couple diff people's stories about the VG30 alternator probs on the 280zx.

EASIER WAY:

Get a GM 1 wire alternator (you can get 72 amp, all the way up to 150amp), cut the bottom bracket to mount on the Z, swap pullies, hook up the battery wire & go.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:40 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
ZBum just doesn't sugar coat anything
Yep... AZ ZBum just tells it how it is. I guess some people get offended by that...
Old 05-05-2006, 08:46 AM

There's people in here that can't even handle Rods breed of straight shooting every once in a while let alone handle ZBUM
Old 05-05-2006, 11:30 AM

I have a Mitsubishi Alt in my 280zx.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:45 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
I spend a little time in the Z31 forum and it's not bad at all. Sure it doesn't quite have the livelyhood that this one does but it still seems like they're plenty helpful. ZBum just doesn't sugar coat anything And make sure you do your research first. And I mean really do it, not just say you did
yeah, thats kinda how i felt. some people just cant deal with the truth.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:12 PM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
...I have lots of 280zx parts.... Let's talk price.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:14 PM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
You all have to also realize, the 280 was born in the 70's, and didn't die untill the early 80's... the Z31 was born, lived, and died in the 80's.... no wonder we're ********, we've got 80's cars.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:15 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well my view on Zbum, is I flat out don't like him. And why are people comparing Rod to him? They aren't even close, Rod is 100 times better, than Zbum. If I owned a Z31, I would go elsewhere for info also. He makes me uncomfortable, and like I am on eggshells. Plus the fact that one of my buddy's has met him. And he told me why he didn't like him either.

The other thing I don't like about him, is he is too arrogant. And thinks he knows everything. That really gets on my nerves, so okay so yeah he does know a lot. But it doesn't mean he can rub it into your face. I don't like people like that, and I stay away from them. It is one thing to be knowledgeable. It is another to be a know-it-all, because you think your stuff don't stink. I am sure you get my meaning.

Sorry about all that, I have felt this way pretty much the first time, I read a few posts from him. And right away, I didn't like him.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:27 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Get a GM 1 wire alternator (you can get 72 amp, all the way up to 150amp), cut the bottom bracket to mount on the Z, swap pullies, hook up the battery wire & go.
Agreed. But don't get one with greater amperage than what you really need. The way they make more amps is by sapping your engines power.

Some of them can be pretty noisy too with a very high pitched whine. Irritating as hell on a long cruise. Makes you feel like your head is going to explode.

Seriously, the smaller the better unless you need to power some additional accessories like Rod mentioned.

I did the 120 amp alternator back in the late 80's because I had a stupid stereo (for the day) in my Z.

I'm much happier now with an 80 amp. More power for the road.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Yep... AZ ZBum just tells it how it is. I guess some people get offended by that...
Heh, I'm glad I have ZX and that I'm on this forum then.
Being a n00b and learning as things come up, I would've never lasted on that forum if people are like that ZBum guy.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:22 PM
NisTuner

I understand ZBum tells it like it is, but some times his attempt at trying to tell it like it is just kind of seems foolish, but I can understand. Being a Z guy since 94 and owning as my Z31s as he does, he's probably seen damn near every problem with those cars and heard the same questions asked a bazillion times so I guess it would drive you crazy. Who knows, sometimes people just like being internet tough guys. ZBum is cool with me, when you ask legitimate questions he will answer. Usually when you ask for something that can easily be found with the haynes guide he'll yell at you.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:36 PM

is Zbum the TonyD of zdriver...
i asked about a turbo swap long *** time ago..tony told me to learn how to drive an NA first before going to turbo...if you have nothing good to add why add anything...
Old 05-05-2006, 07:42 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Skully
is Zbum the TonyD of zdriver...
Good ol' TonyD. Thas a whole nuther can of worms!

Quick Reply: 300zx?