280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

280ZX Title?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

280ZX Title?

Ok well as my sig shows, I have an 83 280ZX "Grand Luxury" That Im now plan to build up

BUT I'm missing the title! Anyone have any ideas about how I should go about getting the title?

Heres all I know, I know the old owner, and he sad he doesnt have it, THEN I found out that there is a lean on it still by a auto business that has gone OUT of business...

Suggestions?

BTW this is the only thing keeping me from working on the car itself beyond getting it running (New engine under 1000 miles on it but it sat for 5 years...)
Old 03-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Über User

contact that business's ex owner, other wise you gotta take yourself and the last titled owner and try to re-apply for one through the state. its a slow process. shouldn't buy crap without a title unless you plan on using it for tracks only, no road use.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I didnt buy it. It was given to me for free. and Im already working on that pretty much tho no calls yet
Old 03-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

i didnt need an original title, just a bill of sale from the PO
Old 03-04-2009, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
i didnt need an original title, just a bill of sale from the PO
That is for GA, it could different in other states. I do not have titles for both of my Z's.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:06 AM
The Good Twin

Wha-bam!

http://dmv.utah.gov/registertitles.html

App for UT title: http://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-656-mva.pdf

Dupe title form: http://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-123.pdf

I had to request a dupe title when I bought my 98 Saturn last fall. Print those two forms & have the previous owner sign them both. Take them to the DMV & they can order a new title... though it will still probably have the lien on it.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:00 AM
The Evil Twin

You might be able to send in a form to the lien holder saying that the lien has been paid in full. Send it certified mail. If no response within a certain period, your title will be clear.

Something to that affect; and it varies greatly by state so read up on all that hard to understand title info online. At least these days we have access to this without having to go to the courthouse downtown to look it up.

Hopefully the actual titled owner has the title in your state. If not, its even harder to get. I tried to get title on something from out of state. After a year and some money spent, I gave up and gave the vehicle away.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Thankfully, Yes its a UT title, And heres ironic info the old owner the that Auto place, was actually my uncle when he was married to my mothers sister, till the got a divorce.

Idk why but that kinda creeps me out....

ANYWAYS Thanks Nismo! I don't care if theres a lien on it or not I just wanna drive that Z! Er OT Question for you, Is it better to run a 280ZXs dizzy from manifold vacuum or were its already at on ported vacuum?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 AM
The Evil Twin

A Lien on it now may mean that the lien has to be removed or paid before title transfer or new license tabs can be purchased. It also could be subject to repossession so it is something you should deal with.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 AM

It has a lien on it or a lien that was signed off? That would suck if you bought a car someone owed money on.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
The Evil Twin

well, he got it for free....

but don't do any work or investment on it until you have the title.
You could always go another route and just find a different Z with a title, even if its in bad shape. Then use your titleless car for parts.

Or the shady method, swap vins from another car to your better car that has no title.
Using the car without a title as a parts car is the safest method though.
But once you're done striping parts, dont' forget that a wrecking yard will not take a frame or car without a title. You'll have to cut it up and recycle the metal.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by User395
That is for GA, it could different in other states. I do not have titles for both of my Z's.
don't you love GA... you can buy a car w/o a title but you can't have fireworks, legally ...
Old 03-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

lol Well the owner let it sit for 5 years and it wasnt repossessed which makes me think it was signed off, but the state was never told about it. Well I got my Duplicate title form, now I just to get the owner to sign it and I'll see what happens!

If you can find me a 83 280ZX or ZXT For cheap near Vernal UT PLEASE tell me ASAP! Then I wont worry about this car, which has hardly any frame rust and only has some surface rust on the body
Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
don't you love GA... you can buy a car w/o a title but you can't have fireworks, legally ...
Yes I do. I also love the fact we don't have to get emissions on 25+ year old cars!! Do they have emission down there or just metro Atlanta?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by User395
Yes I do. I also love the fact we don't have to get emissions on 25+ year old cars!! Do they have emission down there or just metro Atlanta?
no emissions checks at all, most people down here would look at you strange if you told them you have to get you exhaust fumes checked

valdosta is metropolitan but we are so spread out that we never get smog like you see in atlanta
Old 03-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Were Im at there nothing but a mechanical inspection, mainly if all your lights work and your horn and wipers thats it lol
Old 03-04-2009, 05:02 PM

it's nice here. for parts car. titles or not. scrap recycel yards take em. just a hole punched in the gas tank. and no tires.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Heh Well I got all the paper work today and I found out something very new to me

This engine in that Z has *drum roll* 7 miles! The guy got jiped on getting the title right after he put this brand new engine in there, then he had no choice but to park it till I got it and it was parked for...7 years? lol
Old 03-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Über User

come again? i think i get what your saying but uhhh... the way you worded it is vague, all i know is some guy was jipped, by who why and how i dont know, and he had a 7 mile engine from where and why and whats done to it i dont know, and it sat for 7 years for why im sorta unclear on.... care to fill me in? oh and also how you know this now????? lol
Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ok Well The old owner of that Z Decided to work for the owner of the car dealer ship for 6 months in exchange for that Z, before his 6 months was up he put a new engine in it (rebuilt I think actually) Then it sat for a little in a shop while he finished it up. he finished the car and his 6 months was up. the dealership owner said that the Z owner still owes him which wasnt part of the deal so he took the car home and parked it sense 2001, until He finally gave it away to me

I found this out cuz I talked to the old owner! Duh lol And the 7 miles was from him driving it home
Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Über User

sounds like theivery in a legal sense, and what kinda crap is that? i never heard of someone working in exchange for goods, thats like what bum's do for food. from the sounds of it, you may have some trouble getting the title into your name and possession
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Well... I dont want to have to find another 280ZX I have 2 atm this one and my 2+2. I dont want a 2+2

Well heres what Im trying in Order, if one fails I'll goto the next.
A. Contact the old Dealer Owner (the Dealership is out of business) [No word from him yet sadly]
B. Try to a Duplicate title sense it IS a Utah title
C. Play the states game and do a pile of Paper work to get the title
D. Cry and take apart the car for parts
Old 03-05-2009, 09:24 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Well heres what Im trying in Order, if one fails I'll goto the next.
A. Contact the old Dealer Owner (the Dealership is out of business) [No word from him yet sadly]
B. Try to a Duplicate title sense it IS a Utah title
C. Play the states game and do a pile of Paper work to get the title
D. Cry and take apart the car for parts
A. If they'll sign a Lost Title Transfer document, then you're set!
B. Wont' work. They'll send a duplicate title back to the current registered owner and to the last known address of that owner. Not to you. (but at that point, he can sign the title off to you if he wishes to and if you can find him)
C. This may work!
D. swap VINs from your 2+2! hehe
Old 03-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

The Vins are majorly different So I cant lol
Old 03-05-2009, 01:30 PM

From my experience in Utah, the DMV doesn't know the difference between make/model let alone VIN. That's how they lost my Trans-AM and gained a Camaro.

Quick Reply: 280ZX Title?