280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

1979 280zx project

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Exclamation 1979 280zx project

Hi, I have a 1979 280zx n/a and want to make it a drift/gymkhana/touga car. What do I need so I could do all three of them? LOL, with out changing parts each time i go racing...

Last edited by NismoPick; 04-20-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Grah-merr is guud! SPELL CHECK IS BETTER.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:27 AM
The Good Twin

I fixed your question so it's understandable.

Just build your car to race... there's no "set in stone" rules or guidelines. It's your car.

But... some things that will make life easier:
-LSD
-Coilovers
-More hp than your stock 120.
-Lots of $Money$

There ya go. Aside from that, feel free to use our SEARCH feature, as all this has been discussed many times before.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM
The Evil Twin

The Limited Slip rear for these cars is the hard to find or expensive piece. Look up where those are found and how much they are. If you can't find one, don't bother with the rest of your project.
An open diff will get you nowhere in drift
Old 04-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Externally Wastegated

Aside from what's mentioned above, tires will make a huge difference. R compound tires will make your car grip well enough to turn some decent lap times provided the rest of the car is dialed in.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:30 PM

I just noticed you got a S130, 79 is about the lightest for the S130's, but a S30 would be ideal for drifting. Lots of torque! the injection is good for what it is, but I am a strong believer in the much better fuel atomization and sweet power of carbs. but tuning is a must. If carbs even crossed your mind, the 4 screw dome top SU's have a LOT of power potential. but if you got the $$$$ triple Minki's or Webers are ultimate in CARB single cylinder tuning(remember i said carb) Suspension is a HUGE factor in the car, and the breaks are "ok" as long as the suspension is right. 5 lug swap and the Toyota 4 piston calipers, or even the Z31 break swap is great for upgrades with out dropping 8K. Don't get me wrong though, EFI today is the way to go. but a SDS such as MegaSquirt will be a must. If your stuck on N/A power, i think a wideband 02 and triple carbs will give you more bang for the buck then MegaSquirt. For N/A
Old 04-20-2010, 04:42 PM

o **** i did not know that the 1979 280zx was the lghtest of the s130 thanks LOL this is wut i got suspension,sway bars.atrut bar.better tires,cam,new injecters,2 way LSD you think thats good to start out with
Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM

well. new injectors i hope you meant stock 180CC injectors(only good for 220HP MAX) if you tune really well. Turbo injectors won't do to well on N/A ECU(as far as I am aware, Nismo prove me wrong) and the 79 did not have as many fancy add on's, lighter yes, but not by much. That cam will help, but yet again, factory ECU ain't programmable, so you won't see much from that expensive cam, These engines(along with most) the power is in the head. Build it right. Moving the injectors Further from the head, will help provide more torque, along with Longer runners. For the cheapest longer and Larger runner intake will be the LD28 intake. Perfect for this. You have to mod for injectors, so it will let you place them further back. Atomization is key for efficient power. Google Chrome has a spell checker built in, gives red lines under the words as you type, right click. select right word, So easy.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:34 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by 280zxdrift
this is wut i got suspension,sway bars.atrut bar.better tires,cam,new injecters,2 way LSD you think thats good to start out with
Is that list wut you already have or what you are saying you will buy?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 AM

Its what i got, just that it dose not feel right.Im seeing if i need more parts or im just not tuneing it right.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:00 AM
The Good Twin

If you are still running your stock n/a motor, you're probably planting about 100hp to the ground... which is a far cry from enough to drift, or even make that 2way LSD effective. I doubt you could even swing the rear end out with 100hp.

Most of the 240sx S13's that are crazy strung out for drifting have 300-400hp...
Old 04-21-2010, 09:58 AM

it swings out like a baby dud to me it's not how much power you got just that you know how to drift LOL and if i do have 100hp then i drift hella good for 100hp
Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

does not matter still a slow *** n/a zx. wont be able to do anything. Please dont call yourself a drifter or a racer...Just cause you watch a movie does not make you an experience driver. Also do us another favor get some damn grammar.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:26 AM
The Good Twin

it swings out like a baby dud to me it's not how much power you got just that you know how to drift LOL and if i do have 100hp then i drift hella good for 100hp
Yep... it only takes 2 legs and a bike to drift...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzC6yU6DhkY

That doesn't mean you are doing it right.

Originally Posted by 260zturbo
Also do us another favor get some damn grammar.
areyoutryingtotellmethatgoodgrammarmakesthingseasi ertounderstand!?3@#
Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

yes i do dawg
Old 04-21-2010, 02:20 PM
The Good Twin

just that it dose not feel right.im seeing if i need more parts or im just not tuneing it right.
iand if i do have 100hp then i drift hella good for 100hp
it's not how much power you got just that you know how to drift
Old 04-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

Old 04-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Externally Wastegated

Its what i got, just that it dose not feel right.Im seeing if i need more parts or im just not tuneing it right.
It's very hard for anyone to give you any info with such vague and poorly written answers. A specific list of parts along with settings would go a long way to getting advice.

I.E. Nismo 1.5 LSD w/ 45 lb/ft breakaway torque, front camber settings at 1.8 degrees, rear at whatever degrees. Caster settings, how much toe in/out, the exact tires you're using, etc.

You can see the point I'm trying to make, but just making a generic statement will not help you dial in your vehicle. You also need more power. Since you seem to have an aversion to forced induction as stated in your other thread, your only options are stand alone management with a ported head, going back to carbs, or using nitrous. Either way, a turbo would still be the best option no matter how you look at it.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 PM

well im sorry about that im not from here and dont know english that well and if you dont get it dont write back !****! i thought datsun drivers were helpful, they all think thare all badass cuz they drive datsuns
Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 PM
The Good Twin

We're trying to help, but you also need to be open to the advice we offer.

Where are you from?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 PM

i can't agree that you focus on power. For drifting you need good suspension, tires, and LSD.
Personally I think turbos suck for drifting, but I'm an NA guy so that's always going to be my opinion I'd rather have high RPM and no lag. It's just preference really.

Are you drift racing or doing that gay *** points thing I see in video games? If there are points and judges it's not racing.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:26 PM

thank you someone that gets it LOL no i drift in the mountains and the street ya that point thing is gay

n/a all day
Old 04-22-2010, 08:32 PM
The Good Twin

So... how's the drifting going?
Old 04-24-2010, 01:06 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

hay guies dew u think if we start talking like this hell be nice to us cause i rly h8 it when people dnt liek me................. oh and i just got done watching the fast n furious tokyo DRIFT and i went into a walmart parking lot and did donuts around one of the cart boys and his head exploded from the awesome and then i got arrested by the cops but then i invited them over for a steak dinner and a tootsie pop but then they were like we gotta take you to jail anyway for involuntary AWESOME so i spent time in lompoc with Vin Diesel cause he got jailed for racing but then Paul Walker busted in and saved us both then we went for a midnite cruse with Keichi Tsuchiiya and he taught us that:

COUNTER-STEER IS LATE!

so i countersteered and set a Nurburgring record and blew up civics everywhere

but then Keichi Tsuchiiya turned into a Drift King and slammed us with his 86' and we exploded into a million bits, paving the road for drifters everywhere, but then we sank through the pavement and through the ground and we got used as fossil fuels and I'M IN YO GAS TANK!

I am writing my smart *** comment from your Z's gas tank, and all I can say is: Lay off the throttle.

Rainy days at the track are 15% off, Tell your friends!

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 04-24-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Immuh keep on truckin
Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM

im planing out a drift set up for my 280zx too... im thinking of a turbo set up (stock), coilovers (have to make the fronts), sway and strut bars, weld lsd out of a ford puss stang (yes this works), stage 1 or 2 clutch, mild cam, knuckle arms for wider angle, getting a local z guy here in town to make me a custom fuel rail and intake manifold (his 280zx does 9s at the track all day) and another buddy of mine has some itb lookin things that he wants to sell me... well once i finish my build ill let ya know how it goes
Old 06-17-2011, 04:20 PM
i felld offa mai trike

Originally Posted by k1drift
im planing out a drift set up for my 280zx too... im thinking of a turbo set up (stock), coilovers (have to make the fronts), sway and strut bars, weld lsd out of a ford puss stang (yes this works), stage 1 or 2 clutch, mild cam, knuckle arms for wider angle, getting a local z guy here in town to make me a custom fuel rail and intake manifold (his 280zx does 9s at the track all day) and another buddy of mine has some itb lookin things that he wants to sell me... well once i finish my build ill let ya know how it goes
ugh so much misinformation in this forum.

weld the LSD? wtf?

cam will do you no good

clutch is a good idea, stage 1 is basically stock though (what I've got) Stage 2 is a way better idea

knuckle arms, I'm assuming shorter ones? yeah that doesn't work without a shitload more mods to the control arms and ****, stock angle is fine for getting sideways.

guys get off his case about needing MOAR POWAR to drift (for instance, AE86 Corollas, like 85whp MAX yet there's people sliding them all over the place, and very well at that.)

Quick Reply: 1979 280zx project