280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what happend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:11 PM

what happend?

ok so this happend just tonight when i was leaving autozone with my new volt meter to check the alternator and what not and all of a sudden a buzzing noise starts coming from the passenger side by the fuse box and my door, brake, and fuel light are staying on by the speedo and tach gauge. Its only buzzing when the motor is on yet the buzzing is not coming from the outside i checked. Could it be a fuse that just blew or did a wire do something funny? thanks any info would be helpful so i can start my search with a little better knowledge. I'm going to check all the fuses for sure tomorrow but has this happend to anyone before? i drive a 1982 280zx turbo. thanks
Old 10-15-2010, 05:07 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

Defintely check all the fuses but what kinda of volt meter did you buy?? Just be careful with cheap brands bc I have seen horror stories
Old 10-15-2010, 06:55 AM

yea im going to check them today after work. i got a innova voltmeter 3306. Hopefully its not a bad one i didnt research it before getting it just needed one and didnt want to spend 100 dollars. got it for 20 from autozone
Old 10-16-2010, 11:52 PM

Happened to me, alternator not charging.Pull your (-) cable while the car is running(Iam doin it old school!) if your car still runs then this is a good sign but if it died then this not a good news,maybe a bad alternator.

Last edited by borini63; 10-16-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

if the vom shows twelve volts across the battery and 0 ohms when you cross the leads probably about all you need for most automotive trouble shooting.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 AM

snap crackle pop

hello 1st put on safety glasses for battery acid 2nd check amps at battry while running should be 14 volts good alternator on average, then pull off pos at battery shold be 12volts sounds like the relay up under dash next to glove box on pass door side pull glove box out and reach up there while buzzing, like pulling lobster out of hole in ocean if you see green and teeth its a eel swim away fast, back to datsun you wont get shocked but you then can look up relay in manual to see what's it's for . good luck
Old 04-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by zstuff
hello 1st put on safety glasses for battery acid 2nd check amps at battry while running should be 14 volts good alternator on average, then pull off pos at battery shold be 12volts sounds like the relay up under dash next to glove box on pass door side pull glove box out and reach up there while buzzing, like pulling lobster out of hole in ocean if you see green and teeth its a eel swim away fast, back to datsun you wont get shocked but you then can look up relay in manual to see what's it's for . good luck
Uh I think you mean check voltage at the battery when it's running - not the amps. If you tried to check the amps with your DMM you'll pop the fuse in it. It's probably only good up to 10 amps... I'm assuming you just said amps since you are checking for 14.4V at the battery
Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Oh yea and don't forget there are relays up there as well that could be buzzing...