280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Webbing Removed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Big Poppa

Webbing Removed

Has Anyone Taken The Webbing Out Of There Intake Manifold, Kinda Like Some N42's Ive Seen Out There.(s/c's Photos Got Me Thinkin Again) I Was Wondering If It Helps Cool Each Runner, Or Is It Even Worth It. It Would Make It Easier Access To The Header Bolts Though
Old 01-29-2006, 04:44 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

It probably helps cooling in some minor way. Personally, I would prefer the open runners from the N42 to let the heat escape faster.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Z Extreme Guy

i think i could do it i would need at least 2 of them. one for test run on how far i could shave off. and one for the fished product.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:55 PM
The Good Twin

It's possible, but whatever you use to cut it, will keep getting gummed up with aluminum chips... thus taking a long time to do it.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:17 PM

the webbing is suppose to dispurse heat and take it away from the intake runners...
Old 01-29-2006, 08:22 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Skully
the webbing is suppose to dispurse heat and take it away from the intake runners...
I would agree, except there is one great fault to the L28 setup... the exhaust manifold right underneath the intake. Once the engine gets up to operating temp, it heats up that intake manifold quite a bit. If you have open runners & a good air flow (our famous NACA 280zx hood scoops), it will disperse heat a bit better.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:45 PM

Yeah I dont think that webbing is doing anything but hindering the dissipation of heat. The heat has no where to go but sink into the intake manifold with the webbing there. With the webbing gone the heat can pass right through and vent through the hood. Leaving a fin on either side of each runner though would help with the dissipation for a little while. Once that aluminum gets so hot though it doesn't matter cause it can only dissipate so much heat. Also, it might be a good idea to leave some sort of webbing in there to support the runners. You'll notice on the early manifolds without the webbing there is still a little near where it attaches to the head. I think the webbing is just there for ease of casting. The casting mold probably lasted longer by leaving the webbing in there. Where as with just casting the runners individually complicated the sand mold and probably didn't last as long. It's most likely just a case of what was cheaper for Nissan. I'm sure they went to the non webbed manifold temporarily cause it ran cooler, but ended up not being worth the cost.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:59 PM

Hmmm, so for heat dissapation, we just put a very small water mister, in the middle, on top of the intake???
Old 01-29-2006, 11:51 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Two problems with the water mister idea:

1. The water runs out
2. You'd have to pour a boat load of water on there to dissipate enough heat to make a difference

Then you're only using the intake manifold as a heat sink to transfer the heat from the exhaust manifold to the water.

You're still better off with a header blanket and open intake runners.

Ideally, header wrap in addition to the open intake runners, but the wrap will collect moisture and rust your headers into oblivion in almost no time so a header blanket is a reasonable compromise.

This will let any heat that escapes the blanket flow around the intake runners and exit the hood. A nice functional cowl induction hood with a high CFM fan would complete the puzzle.

C&R sells a 3400 CFM fan that will fit our cars...

If I still have heat problems with my ZXT, that'll be the next step.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Big Poppa

Cloging Of Tools Would Not Be A Problem For Me Nismo, The Proper Tools (ones Made For Aluminum Dont Clog) And A Product Called Boe-lube Really Helps Lube The Tools. And If You Cant Guess Its Made By The Boeing Aircraft Company In Bleaches Home Town. Ive Worked On Aircraft For Years And Love Aluminum To Death, You Just Need Special Cutting Wheels Called "green Corps" And Zing Out It Comes. Ill Post Pics When Done Later. Thanks For The Feedback Guys
Old 01-30-2006, 08:05 PM

If you need one to expeirement on, let me know. I have a extra 1 you can practice on.

Oh, and if your thinking of doing it and selling em, Please put me on the list of potential buyers. Depending on price and other stuff of course. Thank you
Old 01-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Ruff Ryder

i wouldnt mine experimenting this idea. anyone got one they can spare? if it works out succesfuly you have a custom intake plenum
Old 01-30-2006, 08:28 PM

I have a couple extra's. I can spare 1. I get free shipping too. Let me know
Old 01-30-2006, 08:40 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Lost Vegaz
If you need one to expeirement on, let me know. I have a extra 1 you can practice on.

Oh, and if your thinking of doing it and selling em, Please put me on the list of potential buyers. Depending on price and other stuff of course. Thank you
man... give a manifold as an experiment... then buy it back.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:28 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

I think if he gives you one for free to experiment on and even ships it to you free, it would be neighborly of you to give it back to him at the same price once you've perfected the process...

Lost, you never sent me your shipping address for the euro mirrors... You still want 'em?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:26 PM

Reply'd in the other thread. And again thank you LWW. Mani to be shipped tommorow
Old 01-31-2006, 07:35 PM
Big Poppa

I Have A Spare As Well, Id Do It For 100 Bucks American Plus Shipping Both Ways. Any Takers After The First Is Done?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:11 PM

All right I'm interested.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Big Poppa

Hey I Started On Removing The Webbing, The Stupid Egr Casting Is On The Bottom, So All The Webbing From The Top Side View Cant Be Removed. But It Is Going Well. Ill Post Some Pics Here Soon.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:53 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

EGR?! We don' need no stinkin' EGR!
Old 02-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by lww
EGR?! We don' need no stinkin' EGR!
Of course, Grand Master L-Dub is in no way condoning the removal of any device that may interfere with the vehicles emmisions system or any modification that may result in emmisions being greater than the vehicle manufacturer inteneded or beyond legal limitations for said emmisions. Doing so is the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner and is subject to the laws of the state of residence for the operator of the vehicle.

. This disclaimer brought to you by friends of L-Dub... A not-for-profit organization.

Rod.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:50 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Of course, Grand Master L-Dub is in no way condoning the removal of any device that may interfere with the vehicles emmisions system or any modification that may result in emmisions being greater than the vehicle manufacturer inteneded or beyond legal limitations for said emmisions. Doing so is the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner and is subject to the laws of the state of residence for the operator of the vehicle.

. This disclaimer brought to you by friends of L-Dub... A not-for-profit organization.

Rod.
Sha! LoL
Old 02-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Big Poppa

Problem Is If It Gets Ground Off, Then There Are Holes In The Manifold Making A Vaccum Leak, A Really Big One.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:57 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by SHADY280
Problem Is If It Gets Ground Off, Then There Are Holes In The Manifold Making A Vaccum Leak, A Really Big One.
AC TIG and some aluminum wire will take care of that hole...

Of course, you should only do this if it's allowable based on your local city, state and Federal guidelines...

Rod, you kill me!
Old 02-12-2006, 09:11 PM

Thankfully Nevada is not as bad as Cali. No under hood inspections

Quick Reply: Webbing Removed