280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading 280turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 12:12 PM

Upgrading 280turbo

Hi, I just discovered this site and it seems to be filled with a lot of useful info. I have a few Questions about my car though that I could not find from searching. It is an 1982 turbo with an HKS intercooler, exhaust and boost controller. Right now I am running about 13psi max on the stock turbo and stock fuel system. I am looking into buying a T3/T4 hybrid and had a few questions. Will this turbo bolt right up like stock? Also I know I need to upgrade the fuel system but what would that involve? Other then injectors what would I need. I know I have a lot of questions but any help would be apreciated. Thanks in advance, HK
Old 07-05-2005, 01:44 PM
The Evil Twin

The T3/4 turbo will require a spacer between the manifold and turbo. This spaces the turbo out either 1/4 or 1/2 inch. I forget how thick it has to be. The larger intake turbine hits the manifold without the spacer.

Once you start upgrading your injectors, the computer doesn't know how to work with them. The stock computer is very simple and the fuel output is linear. If you upgrade injectors you will have proper mixture at certain boost levels but run rich at idle and off boost. If you lean the fuel out with air flow meter adjustments or otherwise, then the computer will still run the larger injectors leaner at full boost. The factory electronics are horrible for high boost applications. Your best bet from what I have researched is to run larger fuel lines and an aftermarket fuel rail. Use the stock computer, injectors, but add a good rising rate fuel pressure regulator. The factory injectors are capable of much more fuel flow than the stock computer sets them at. I'm not sure how high of boost you can get away with doing this, but if you are looking at 20+ psi on that larger turbo then you should just change out the electronics right now to a programable system.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:54 AM

Bleach, thank you for all your help. I am not a very experienced mechanic so it is good to know there is some were to go for answers. I am having trouble finding places to buy parts for our cars(the fact that I have no clue how to use a computor could be part of that). So do you have any suggestons on were to buy those things you mentioned like the fuel lines, fuel rail, FMU. Also I have done some research on the installation of the T3/T4 and I think it may be beyond my mechanical level. My stock turbo is very new and I was wondering if instead I could send it some were to be upgraded to flow better? Thank you for the help, HK