280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 04:14 PM

Got one, Thanks J.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:31 PM

And don't be scared to pull your distributor either, unless you don't know how to set timing. Don't worry about all that top dead center ish. Just make a reference mark as to how everything is lined up in the dist. The L28E dist. will only install 2 ways, the correct way and 180 degrees opposite of the correct way. So you don't have to worry about aligning anything precisely and screwing something up. Just don't turn the engine over while the dist. is out.This is not true for all engines, so don't make that assumption on a different type of engine, some dist. have gears instead of the slot type in the L28E.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:42 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by juggalo280ZX
3000 out of 1st and 2nd if I just put it in drive.
I guess I should have said, where does it shift when it's floored?

And, if the torque converter is working properly, you shouldn't have to worry about slip in your tranny from these cars with stock HP/Torque.

Last edited by lww; 06-06-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
And don't be scared to pull your distributor either, unless you don't know how to set timing. Don't worry about all that top dead center ish. Just make a reference mark as to how everything is lined up in the dist. The L28E dist. will only install 2 ways, the correct way and 180 degrees opposite of the correct way. So you don't have to worry about aligning anything precisely and screwing something up. Just don't turn the engine over while the dist. is out.This is not true for all engines, so don't make that assumption on a different type of engine, some dist. have gears instead of the slot type in the L28E.
I personally know JACK about timing, but my dad knows a lot, he advanced the timing on every vehicle hes had. He's having me learn then do, instead of do then learn like he did. therefore I have to get as much info. on this as I can before he helps me actually advance it, Any Info. would be greatly appreciated from anyone that's done it and NOT blown up there motor. even the most minute detail to you guys may be the one thing holding me back from him helping me do this. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by lww
I guess I meant to say, where does it shift when it's floored?

And, if the torque converter is working properly, you shouldn't have to worry about slip in your tranny from these cars with stock HP/Torque.
I'll have to get back to you tommarrow on that one, She's parked for the night.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:12 PM

Juggalo, your dad's a smart man. It's easy to mess something up when you don't know what you're doing. Before you advance your timing, make sure you're not running on 87, or 89 if you can help it. 91+ would be preferable, mixing lower with a higher octane is OK. As long as you do this, you won't do any damage advancing the timing. It's trial and error from there to see at what timing your car performs the best. And unless you've got access to a dyno you'll have to judge it by feel. And if you've got access to an oxygen analyzer, you can mess with your fuel mixture too to further fine tune, but thats another issue, one thing at a time. Also, if you do decide to raise your idle speed for the race, don't leave it that way, it won't hurt anything but your fuel economy, but if you're running around on premium, its not worth it. You'll be eating gas just sitting at a stop.

Like I said, it's just that one screw on the base of the dist. shaft, that connect it to the engine and holds it in place. I loosen it with a wrench, you'll hear your idle raise or lower, depending on which way you turn the distributor. Mess with this first, and see how much timing you can get. Then worry about taking the dist. off if you have to. That's all there is to it, just remember to tighten that screw back up or your timing will have a mind of it's own If you need help with how to use the timing light itself just send me a pm, and I'll get back to you.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:41 AM

thats all fine for an N/A.. what about a turbo..?? ours doesnt advance like that.. or at least mine doesnt
Old 06-06-2005, 12:10 PM
I have a present for you...

Out of the last 10 distributors I've had to tinker with only one of them would vacuum advance. You need to hook up a vauuum tester and make sure the plate in the dist rotates clockwise about 10-15 degrees (visually), holds, and returns when you release the vacuum. Otherwise your wasting your time.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:24 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by theramz
Out of the last 10 distributors I've had to tinker with only one of them would vacuum advance. You need to hook up a vauuum tester and make sure the plate in the dist rotates clockwise about 10-15 degrees (visually), holds, and returns when you release the vacuum. Otherwise your wasting your time.
Theramz is correct. However, the vacuum advance on these is replaceable.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:49 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah if you can find one. It seems that I have to buy the whole distributor to get that piece. Nobody sells it new by itself. That is why I need a new distributor.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by assimilated420
thats all fine for an N/A.. what about a turbo..?? ours doesnt advance like that.. or at least mine doesnt
Timing on the turbo cars is controlled by the computer. You'd have to get your ecu reflashed to change the timing. Besides, on a turbo car, you don't want to advance the timing. You can do some serious damage on a forced induction car with too much timing. Retarded timing is best on a turbo car.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:28 PM

Oh, and Juggalo, make sure you disconnect the vacuum line from the vacuum advance when you set the timing. Plug the vacuum line so you're not leaking vacuum. Reconnect when you're finished timing the distributor. You can get a false reading if this is connected, so disconnect it even to just check your timing.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:40 PM

And when you race, don't race on a full tank of gas. I think every gallon is about 8 pounds or something like that and if you have a 17 gallon tank thats 136 pounds the car has to carry around.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:46 PM
I have a present for you...

Originally Posted by lww
Theramz is correct. However, the vacuum advance on these is replaceable.
One other thing is a plastic plate that holds 3 bearing ***** that the breaker plate floats on to allow it to advance and return freely. Several ones I've seen were broken, not replacable. You can see if the breaker plate moves with a screw driver. I it doesn't the dist is junk. The vacuum advance can be had for about $45.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:32 PM

That's what happened to mine. Those damn bearings fell out of place and one got wedged under the breaker plate. Now it's stuck. Another bearing just fell right out of the distributor. I can't get the advance units out though because the screws just start stripping and I don't have an impact driver.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:46 PM

If I were to buy a GPS device which tells current speed and maximum speed traveled, would I be able to see the top speed of my car? If any of you have a GPS, would you tell me if the GPS is capable of displaying speed over 100 mph? I am pretty sure it can because they use GPS in aviation but just wanted to see what you think.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:03 PM

hey guys i got my na 280zx up to 210 km's the other nigght....
Old 06-20-2005, 10:37 PM

Well that makes 130mph verified by 280zxcruiser. That's pretty friggin' fast man. And that's naturally aspirated. I'd say you definitely exceeded the speed rating of the oem tires
Old 06-21-2005, 01:37 AM

the highest iv taken my z to is a little over 200 kph, i think it might have gona a tad faster but i ran out of road, its a 79 n/a 280zx.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:18 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by Pistolio
the highest iv taken my z to is a little over 200 kph, i think it might have gona a tad faster but i ran out of road, its a 79 n/a 280zx.
On these cars, the only important speed is the one from 0-60, 60ft, 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile.

Let's not test these on the public road boys.

This has been a public service announcement from your local fuzz.

I was clocked at 142 mph on the front straight of Hallet Raceway in my '82 NA.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:41 PM

I knew these cars were fast but I mean come on, 142! That's just insane. I now have a new sense of pride for my baby. Not that I didn't before, but now its more of a cocky pride as opposed to a humble pride.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:56 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
I knew these cars were fast but I mean come on, 142! That's just insane. I now have a new sense of pride for my baby. Not that I didn't before, but now its more of a cocky pride as opposed to a humble pride.
Bear in mind, that was with full ground effects and a pretty stripped down chassis for racing and no compromise for comfort was made.

At these speeds, aerodynamics is a HUGE factor in keeping the rubber on the ground. In the 280ZX, if you tried driving at these speeds without the PROPER ground effects, suspension geometry, FOUR wheel alignment and R compound tires, you will probably die.

My turbo car has a crap load more power... Like twice as much, but also more weight so I'm pretty sure it'll beat that speed when I get it tuned and on the track...

I'll be looking for high 150's if I get the motor tuned properly and the alignment dialed in... At Thunderhill it'll have to be on a reverse track day so I can get a running start off turn two to get up to full speed on the straight away after the sweeper on turn one...

We'll see...

Last edited by lww; 06-22-2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:40 PM

I live for aerodynamics. Can't figure out why for the life of me, but for some reason that stuff just intrigues me. I'll find myself spending countless hours just studying aerodynamics. I'm still getting my feet wet on supension geometery and chassis engineering, but I've picked up a bit of information. Knowledge is power, and I'm trying to take over the world I've still got a ways to go though
Old 06-22-2005, 08:18 PM

I'm a pretty big buff on aerodynamics too. I definitely got some stuff planned for the ZX along those lines.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:49 PM

The GPS is a good way to get an accurate speed. I dont believe there are any restraints as far as the speed they will show. Ive recorded 160 on a gps unit with no problems. (not in a car by the way).
My 80ZX has hit 145, with the t-tops off. F54 block, E88 head, 280 cam, triple weber 40 DCOEs, Header with 2 1/2" exhaust.
BTW, if you have a laptop, Garmin makes a great GPS unit with mapping program that you can run on your laptop. It plugs into your usb port. It will give you voice directions, plan trips, as well as show your speed, direction, elevation, and record a trip that you can play back that will show your speeds.

Quick Reply: Top Speed?